Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bluefish
how does 55 generations equal 17000 years?

Proof that men can get pregnant…

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Thor Heyerdahl proved that South Sea Savages could paddle a raft from Chile to the Pacific Islands. If they could go 1,500 miles west, they could turn around and go 1,500 miles east. Mainstream science dismissed Heyerdahl's work in 1947.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Guy had some nuts though. I enjoyed reading him as a younger man.
Cool boat, must take forever to build one.

No Yami ?

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Mitachondrial DNA? Well that's unique.
What do you mean?
RNA in mitochondria, not DNA.
LOL

Indeed, I missed all these RNA people.

The lack of basic knowledge that is put on display in some of these threads is astonishing.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The findings, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, offer more evidence that ancient Polynesians may have interacted with people in South America long before the Europeans set foot on the continent.

"There's been many kinds of evidence – linguistic and archaeological – for contact between these two people," Caroline Rouiller, an evolutionary biologist at the Center for Functional and Evolutionary Ecology in France who led the study, tells The Salt. "But the sweet potato is the most compelling."

Sweet potatoes originated in Central and South America. But archaeologists have found prehistoric remnants of sweet potato in Polynesia from about A.D. 1000 to A.D. 1100, according to radiocarbon dating. They've hypothesized that those ancient samples came from the western coast of South America. Among the clues: One Polynesian word for sweet potato — "kuumala" — resembles "kumara," or "cumal," the words for the vegetable in Quechua, a language spoken by Andean natives.

But until now, there was little genetic proof for this theory of how the tater traveled.

So how did the sweet potato make the ocean voyage?

Its seeds could have possibly hitched a ride on seaweed or gotten lodged in the wing of a bird. But Pat Kirch, an archeologist at the University of Berkeley, California, thinks the Polynesians were well-equipped to sail right across the Pacific to South America and pick up a potato.

"There's a lot of evidence accumulating over the last 10 years that the Polynesians made landfall in South America," he says. "We think they had sophisticated, double-hulled canoes — like very large catamarans — which could carry 80 or more people and be out to sea for months."

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It has been a long time since I read Heyerdahl's book.
Started it three times before I got through it.

Seem to remember that he had some trials before it made the complete journey.

OFF subject, but I think I remember some experiments with South Seas Islanders sailing to places they had never been . . .

Currents, stars and lore as their navigational tools.

My brother and I often discuss just how much "science" and "history" we were taught that may have just a little (LOT) of mis/wrong information

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The findings, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, offer more evidence that ancient Polynesians may have interacted with people in South America long before the Europeans set foot on the continent.

"There's been many kinds of evidence – linguistic and archaeological – for contact between these two people," Caroline Rouiller, an evolutionary biologist at the Center for Functional and Evolutionary Ecology in France who led the study, tells The Salt. "But the sweet potato is the most compelling."

Sweet potatoes originated in Central and South America. But archaeologists have found prehistoric remnants of sweet potato in Polynesia from about A.D. 1000 to A.D. 1100, according to radiocarbon dating. They've hypothesized that those ancient samples came from the western coast of South America. Among the clues: One Polynesian word for sweet potato — "kuumala" — resembles "kumara," or "cumal," the words for the vegetable in Quechua, a language spoken by Andean natives.

But until now, there was little genetic proof for this theory of how the tater traveled.

Its seeds could have possibly hitched a ride on seaweed or gotten lodged in the wing of a bird. But Pat Kirch, an archeologist at the University of Berkeley, California, thinks the Polynesians were well-equipped to sail right across the Pacific to South America and pick up a potato.

"There's a lot of evidence accumulating over the last 10 years that the Polynesians made landfall in South America," he says. "We think they had sophisticated, double-hulled canoes — like very large catamarans — which could carry 80 or more people and be out to sea for months."
That Tater is is is in Wyoming now...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter

That Tater is is is in Wyoming now...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Johnny fatbelly!!!!!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There are a lot of things we don't know about the earliest Americans, and the "intellectuals" in academia fight anything that doesn't jive with what they've been teaching their whole careers, even if evidence says otherwise.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
"Darrell “Dusty” Crawford, who is Native American, has said he was taught in school that his ancestors, the Blackfeet Native Americans, used the Bering Land Bridge during the Ice Age to reach the Americas. However, his DNA testing contained another surprise: It seems that Crawford’s ancestors are from the Pacific Islands. From there they presumably traveled along the coast of South America into what is now North America, data suggests."

So the Blackfeet are migrants not native.....

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Think about how much money we pay colleges, etc., to study this stuff. I had an employee whose husband taught middle age German religion at a major university. Full-time, taught three classes and was able to babysit their infant. Plus all the non-taxable donations funneled to universities and various other causes. Bah humbug!

Old guy, old guns.
IC B3

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The author of the article:

Nancy Bilyeau, a former staff editor at *Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone*, and *InStyle*, has written a trilogy of historical thrillers for Touchstone Books.

More:
https://www.thevintagenews.com/author/nancy-bilyeau/

Bruce

Last edited by bcp; 09/24/22.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,622
Posts18,492,717
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.