Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Doesn't seem like 20 years ago when I performed these test.....
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17630469/1

Last edited by CharlieSisk; 09/23/22.

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good stuff. Testing is better than opinions.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
By chance, does it seem like time is picking up speed?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dejavu all over again.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Charlie,

Thank you for that test and the other tests that you did and then posted the results. Very educational.

Last edited by kandpand; 09/24/22.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aboltfan

LOLOLOL. The older I get, the faster time accelerates by.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very interesting. About 19 ft/sec/inch across a wide spectrum of cartridges, burn rates, and bullets.

I've gone to shorter barrels in the past decade mainly because they are way more handy for me. And I may be a bit vertically challenged. 22 inch is good but did put a 23" barrel on my Kimber 338 Fed. I do like the way it handles with a 23 inch tube on that rifle. I'll likely do the same with my 308 when I rebarrel.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I had the 26" barrel of my Browning A-Bolt in .375 H&H cut to 22" and it lost 140 fps from the same load = 35 fps per inch. (2700 fps to 2560 fps)

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Looks like I'm gonna cut one back from 26" to 22" after reading the data you provided. Thanks for posting the info.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There's one area which I feel is detrimental to shortening a barrel, velocity considerations notwithstanding: the world of single shots. My rifles with 26" barrels are no longer than bolt guns with 22" barrels, and cutting them back to carbine length would wreck (somewhat) their nice balance.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I did a test with three 30-06 rifles using a Winchester case,WLRM primer,63.5grs of Reloader 26 and a 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.Here were the results of the different barrel lengths.
Remington 700 with a 28" PacNor barrel - 2992fps
Sako A7 24" factory barrel - 2882fps
Ruger MarkII with a 23" Rock Creek barrel - 2890fps

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never saw this at the time. Back in the 90's I worked with a gunsmith/rifle builder (Nimrod Custom Rifles). I was building a 338 Jamison, which I still have, and we were discussing this very thing. He had done these tests, not quite as scientific as Charlie's. It took a few days to chop an inch off the barrel, put it back together and then go out with variable weather conditions. In any case, what that 'smith had concluded was verified by me with the Jamison. We didn't go any shorter simply because the 'smith said that when he got under 22 inches the muzzle blast started being troublesome. Every gun I still have has 22" barrels!!

Used to be bobski, member since '01
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Charlie and I talked a little bit about this on the phone yesterday.

I have run similar tests, the first in the early 1990s with a 26" Shilen pre-chambered 7x57 barrel on a Brno military Mauser action I put together, eventually shortening it to 21". Loaded and chronographed ammo with bullets from 140-160 grains, if I recall correctly, and got basically the same results as Charlie did--around 20 fps per inch.

But one of the things we talked about yesterday is that SOMETIMES barrels will actually gain a little velocity after being shortened an inch or two. Phil Sharpe also noted this when running similar experiments decades ago, with one of the first electronic chronographs purchased by any "gun writer." The reason is that many barrels have slightly tighter and looser spots, and if the inch cut off was looser (which obviously was the inch behind the muzzle) then the velocity could be a little faster.

But the biggie, overall, is that shorter barrels will NOT "turn a .257 Weatherby into a .25-06," or anything similar to such statements I've read and heard over the decades.

Of course, some of this is due to many hunters firmly believe that another 100 fps will noticeably "flatten" trajectory, or increase "killing power." Both are far more dependent on the bullet used than any such small increase in muzzle velocity.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have read this thread and the original that Charlie posted 20 years ago and agree 99%.......but there is that 1% of me that says dammit I want the fastest possible speed !!!!!!!!!!!

A friend stuck me with a Ruger American in 204 Ruger a year or so ago, I had never shot a rifle in this caliber before so I found it interesting and frustrating at the same time doing load development. The rifle shot quite well but the speed was not up to my expectations.

A couple of my prairie dog hunting buddies have 204 Rugers with longer barrels than the 22" barrel on my American, their rifles will shoot 4000fps+ with 32 grainers (shooting through my Oehler 35p) like they say in several reloading manuals. My rifle WILL NOT !!!!!!! I tried every load imaginable even overloaded tried 30grainers too, not a chance of 4000fps

As a last resort I found a pristine Ruger M77mkII Varmint Laminated with the 26" barrel, it will shoot 4000fps with 32 grainers. I know at that speed 100-150fps means very little but I just had to see that 4 on my Oehler screen.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
boatanchor,

Yeah, I went through something similar with the .204 some years ago. Had a couple of early ones with 24" barrels, and the second, a Ruger Hawkeye, shot particularly well. But then I won a drawing where the prize was a Remington 700 VTR in .204, so I sold the Ruger and kept the "free" 700, after finding out it shot just as accurately.

The only problem was the VTR's barrel was only 20" long behind the ported portion of the muzzle. It would NOT get 4000 fps with 32s, no matter what powder/charge tried--but only around 3950.

But in those days the .204 was my primary prairie dog rifle, and it didn't take long to shoot the barrel out. I replaced with a new 24" stainless take-off barrel purchased from a gunsmith for around $100, which shot just as well--and with the same handloads, which got over the magic 4000....

By then I'd switched to, first, the .17 Fireball and then the .17 Hornady Hornet as my primary PD rounds, and only used the .204 at ranges past about 300 out to 500. Consequently the stainless 24" is still shooting very well!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The saying:
"Life is like a roll of toilet tissue. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes" seems to have taken on more meaning as I age...............

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
boatanchor,

The only problem was the VTR's barrel was only 20" long behind the ported portion of the muzzle. It would NOT get 4000 fps with 32s, no matter what powder/charge tried--but only around 3950.
Well ,that must have been a real bummer.Probably kept you to shooting at rats under 100 yards. grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

LOLOLOL. The older I get, the faster time accelerates by.
Time flies when you are having fun!!Actually it is due to your metabolism slowing down.When you are young your metabolism is pretty fast.Summer and winter go on for ever.As you age it slows down and time seems to speed up.If this did not happen our life span would be very short.Dogs on the other hand have a fast metabolism ,but a much shorter life span.Hours ,days,months take forever for them.We feel bad when they die,but actually they have had a very full life.Time is so fast for me now that sometimes I get up before I go to bed!! grin

Last edited by Huntz; 09/26/22.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I remember reading about the shooting warehouse in Houston. 21 3/4 length is what they said was the magic number for accuracy. Never have tried that though.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by OkieShooter
I remember reading about the shooting warehouse in Houston. 21 3/4 length is what they said was the magic number for accuracy. Never have tried that though.
That was pretty much specific for the 6ppc benchrest cartridge, other cartridges could vary greatly from that

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,769
Posts18,476,747
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.