-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
I went to the range today just to sight my rifle in. I was shooting norma whitetail 6.5cm 140gr ammo out of a savage axis. Ended up with 3 pierced primers which slightly gassed my face and some weird looking primers. Everyone at the range was baffled at what happened, I shot some other brands of ammo without issue. The norma had vertical stringing and erratic hits I have used this ammo before without issue. The firing pin is hitting hard i will need to measure it once i have the proper specs but that does not explain everything that happened. I need some help on this one and i hope i put it in the proper thread can be moved if needed.
Brad.[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kt69mufo4t7mvn/Screenshot_20220925-230725_Gallery.jpg?dl=0[/img][img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/vaggfqmj3fznd76/Screenshot_20220925-230729_Gallery.jpg?dl=0[/img][img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/czst62wxovin2bc/Screenshot_20220925-230734_Gallery.jpg?dl=0[/img][img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdmefmp70du3wiy/Screenshot_20220925-230739_Gallery.jpg?dl=0[/img][img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/759h8pwk5avdmx1/Screenshot_20220925-230743_Gallery.jpg?dl=0[/img]

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Simple solution, forget the Norma Whitetail in this rifle

More involved solution, have the bolt bushed so you can use a smaller firing pin

Your pictures:

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Darryle said. I had to have two Remington 700 bolts bushed for similar issues.

Now with even more aplomb
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Throw that Axis in a wood chipper and go buy yourself a rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cluggins

You are leaving out the important part. If he follows your suggestion, he will be off to buy the next best econo rifle. He needs to go out and buy a good rifle..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
OP did you experience heavy bolt lift or see any signs of ejector marks?

This brings up another concern, this isn't the first time I have read of issues with pierced or cratered primers with the Norma Whitetail 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. I have seen it on multiple forums involving a myriad of rifles, bolt and AR rifles.

There has to be something to it, I wonder what primers they use? I think I have a .065" firing pin diameter in the only 6.5 Creedmoor I have, hole measures .067". I think I will pick up a box next time I am in town and see what it does in this X-Bolt Long Range Stalker. I have been loading the Berger 130gr VLD-H fairly hot using the Federal GMM 205M, Lapua SRP brass and H4350 powder and see none of these issues.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Trying hard to uncomplicate this for you. Striving to keep this as inexpensive for you as possible. Use the other ammo you have and sell the remaining Norma to someone else. It obviously is to hot for your Axis...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Cluggins
Never do this. Wood chippers are meant for wood, and you will only damage the chipper. Much better to just throw it in a pond.
Seriously, the problem may be firing pin tip shape, protrusion, firing pin hole diameter, and/or spring preload; this, in combination with a soft primer cup. It is not excessive pressure. Nonetheless, if other ammunition works well, just avoid the Norma. GD

B
OP Offline
B
Quite honestly this is a beater rifle I bought while recovering from a shoulder injury it was cheap and available. I do not want to put much money if at all into it as I plan to buy a better rifle in this caliber or put an ar together. I shot other ammo federal, Winchester, nosler and hornady all had catering to some extent but not nearly as severe. After measuring the Firing pin protrusion it varies from .0595-.062 I found other examples of what I had happen across multiple platforms and rifle quality on other forums as was stated above with this ammo.

I did have heavy bolt lift and faint ejection marks. My buddy shot some of the ammo I have it did the same thing in his tikka I believe it's an ammo issue. The firing pin protrusion seems excessive compared to my other rifles. I will be contacting norma about this as it has occurred in two rifles.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,402
Posts18,470,144
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.