Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had a head up the azz moment. I dumped about 320 grains of IMR 4320 in a pound of Varget. Being they are so close in burn rates, any thoughts on whether it might be salvageable for fireform loads?

Thanks for your experience.. BP...

HR IC

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
No!!!!!!!!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Fertilizer..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Only.......

If that's the worst thing you've done

UR OK

Experiment......dump it around a rosebush/shrub

See what happens in the spring

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
With OCD, a magnifying glass, tweezers, and 5-6 hours - you should be able to separate them.

If you know you dumped exactly 320 gr, then just keep going until you get to that number.

4320 has a hole in the middle (like a thick wall pipe), Varget does not. Varget kernels are also about 1/2 the size.

Maybe run them through your wife’s pasta strainer or a window screen.

Good luck.

Last edited by Stammster; 09/23/22.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Already in the compost pile.

Thanks for confirming what I already knew.. BP...

Last edited by boilerpig1; 09/23/22.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I would have mixed that pound of varget up good and used it. You'd never have known the difference. 320grs is 4.6% of a pound. Being 4320 is slower than varget You'd only had a slightly slower lot of varget after mixing. Ammo companies mix powder all the time. We are overly cautious. If you would have offered it to me I'd bought it from you one the spot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok enlighten me. While you wouldn't want to use the mixture for max loads and you couldn't duplicate a future load so you wouldn't want to use it for reference, if you used it for plinking or fire forming, why not use it up? 320 grains in 7000 is a little over 5 percent. Factorys blend powder all the time albeit measuring pressure when they work up a load.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
IMR-4320 is always after Varget on the burn rate chart, but they're close. By dumping a small percentage of 4320 in a pound of varget You'd only slow it down by a very small percentage. This would actually be safer for max loads. You had the perfect mixture in my estimation

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Grain sizes are actually very similar. There's no way I would have tossed it. Sure you would have saved it. I occasionally get down to south Texas

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Flea fart

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
I would have mixed that pound of varget up good and used it. You'd never have known the difference. 320grs is 4.6% of a pound. Being 4320 is slower than varget You'd only had a slightly slower lot of varget after mixing. Ammo companies mix powder all the time. We are overly cautious. If you would have offered it to me I'd bought it from you one the spot
^^^This^^^......Hb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good thread.

LOL
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
$40 for a lb of powder that is less than pizza and soda for the family.

good move

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've done the same with #9 and enforcer. Though I don't know the specific weight amount. Whatever was remaining in the bottom of my autocharge.

While I can't bring myself to dump it, I also haven't been able to make myself use it yet either. It has a piece of masking tape around the lid to remind myself to don't be stupid again.

I would use it if it's all I had left. And with them being #58 and #59 on the burn rate chart, when I'm loading the 9x39 subsonics, I use the same charge using both powders. The Enforcer tends to get about 30fps less velocity in comparison. So, it would probably be OK to use. But like I said, I haven't yet.

I may have a tree stump or boulder or something in the yard that needs to go away. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for something such as that.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I once dumped a large amount of two powders together by mistake. I lucked out however, because one was a stick powder and the other a ball powder. Something I have left over from the 'old' days is a set of brass screens of different mesh sizes we used to grade soil grain sizes with. One of the mesh sizes allowed 100% of the ball powder to pass through and 0% of the stick powder. I didn't lose a bit of powder.

I did, however, learn a lesson. I have since never had more than one powder out of the storage room at a time!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Hook
I once dumped a large amount of two powders together by mistake. I lucked out however, because one was a stick powder and the other a ball powder. Something I have left over from the 'old' days is a set of brass screens of different mesh sizes we used to grade soil grain sizes with. One of the mesh sizes allowed 100% of the ball powder to pass through and 0% of the stick powder. I didn't lose a bit of powder.

I did, however, learn a lesson. I have since never had more than one powder out of the storage room at a time!

Did that with Blue Dot and Power Pistol. Set the jug of BD on the floor (wrong) and picked up the PP when I was done. Saw the label just as I commingled the gogo. There was a LOT more PP involved than BD. Checked the flake sizes and first grab got the right sized sifting screen. Took all the blue flakes out and what appeared to be most of the rest. Loaded with PP data and rocked on. Doubt there would have been a significant difference in velocity or pressure even if I hadn’t sifted.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In this specific instance. I wouldn’t have lost any sleep in using it. I have for a long time now considered Varget to be as near as damnit the “Extreme” formulation of IMR 4320.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Great for plinking or fouler rounds!

Stay low on the charges and mix well! Shaken not stirred.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would have used it. Mixed it with all the Varget I had on hand and forgot it.

I'm not smart enough to chance it so I only have one powder out at a time on the bench when loading.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
342 members (320090T, 12344mag, 303savage, 160user, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 43 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 671 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,573
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.