-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want fairly reliable blood trails without a lot of recoil, I'd lean toward a 6.5mm at the bottom end. I don't mind a plain 6.5mm cup/core in the 130-140gr range or a 140-145 in the 7mm-08. Generally had pretty decent tracking results, on average. Some will just stump you at times, even with a solid hit when using a 7mmRM, 30-06, etc. There are no guarantees, but there are trends....

Now with even more aplomb
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blooze
Originally Posted by Orion2000
My family has killed a good many deer with a .243 Winchester pushing a 95gr Nosler partition. Recoil in an 8lb rifle is close to non-existent...

I have no doubt the .243 can do the job and recoil is practically nil. I’ve just had some iffy experiences having to track deer for others even on good shots. Think 200 yard plus, standing in 3’ tall thick CRP grass. If they don’t bleed good or drop right there it’s easy to lose them. Practically non-existent blood trails due to no pass through. How are they out to 300 or so yards? I know that’s a pretty common range where I hunt.

I took my Steyr 7-08 to Montana last year for an antelope & mule deer hunt. I killed two mule deer at roughly 100 & 200 yards and an antelope at a hair over 300 yards. Total combined distance traveled for all three after being hit did not exceed 30 yards.

With regard to recoil, I find that the fit and stock design of a particular rifle make a big difference. The 7-08 is quite mild in general and even more so in the Steyr, for me.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hard to argue against the 6.5 CM. Great cartridge design. Great components available and great choices in loaded ammo are easily found. Light recoil, most any factory rifle can be found chambered in it.

Over the last several years I've begun to consider it the "perfect" round for deer.....and I've no prejudice hunting deer with bigger or smaller rounds...the 6.5 CM is just Goldilocks.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Joined this forum because of a lot of good info I've seen while lurking. Anyway, I need to buy a new deer rifle.

A little background, I bowhunted for decades, shot a little black powder and rifle a few times at deer. My shoulders are shot and I've lost all my bowhunting land, so it will be rifle from here on out. Shots are typically 50-300 yards. I've shot 30-06, .270, and .243 over the years (my Dad's guns) and an 8mm Mauser that was my grandfathers (which I inherited). The 8mm is pretty much a no-go for accuracy at this point being 80+ years old and 2" groups at 100 yards with any ammo I can run through it. So, I need to buy my FIRST deer rifle. My shoulders really can't take the recoil of a 270/30-06 anymore, so I'm looking for something that will have less recoil but still good terminal ballistics. I've been looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor due to its low recoil. I like the idea that I could use it for target shooting at longer distances as well and not have to quit after 6 shots due to pain. I've thought about the .243 as well, but I've seen too many deer lost over the years due to a lack of a blood trail, which is the main concern I have with the 6.5 CM too.

The two rifles at least in 6.5 CM I'm looking at are the X-Bolt HC with brake and the Tikka T3X Lite with a brake. I would only be using the brake for target shooting most likely anyway due to the noise. One thing I can't seem to get a good answer on is if the X-Bolt HC with the brake (Cabela's) is an 18" or 22" barrel and is the twist 1:7 or 1:8. I get different answers from two stores and Browning. Obviously I'll be handling them or others before deciding.

So if anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Edit: should put a max $$$ at $1300 and would like thread barrel for a brake to target shoot.

Has your husband given you permission to buy a new rifle?

B
Blooze Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I appreciate everyone's input and experience! I'll admit I'm a bit prejudice against the .243 from my past experience, but I will not rule it out as I may find that the gun I pick up fits me perfect. Right now I'm leaning toward the 7-08 and 6.5 CM.

8SNAKE, I'll take a look at that Steyr and see if anyone has one near me. That's a big problem as well. I live in SW KS and there just isn't a lot of selection in stock near me. Wichita is the closest real town with any number on the rack, and then you're looking at Cabelas and Academy mostly. A few other mom-n-pop stores, but they mainly have the AR type stuff with bolt actions sprinkled in here and there in my experience.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I was looking for a new rifle strictly for deer and for someone with some recoil sensitivity, I would look at something in .24 to .26 caliber. For someone that is not a handloader, I would look at a .243, 6 mm Rem, .260 Rem, 7 mm 08, or a 6.5 Creedmore (which is basically a .22-250 Improved and necked out to 6.5 mm).

Personally, I would buy a bolt action rifle with a good 1" recoil pad and put a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x scope on it.

When you are looking for the rifle, ask about the availability of ammo.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just look in the store and buy from Grice or ECAA. Pretty easy to get almost anything as long as you have a local FFL.

As for blood, I don't think 243 vs 264 matters. Worst trail I've ever had was a 6.5cm (Interbond through heart and lung) at 65 yards. 50 yard death run and zero blood until it hemorraged everything. All I found at impact site was a shard of rib bone blown out the exit hole. Was lucky to find the deer in ultra thick South Texas thorn.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by buffybr
If I was looking for a new rifle strictly for deer and for someone with some recoil sensitivity, I would look at something in .24 to .26 caliber. For someone that is not a handloader, I would look at a .243, 6 mm Rem, .260 Rem, 7 mm 08, or a 6.5 Creedmore (which is basically a .22-250 Improved and necked out to 6.5 mm).

Personally, I would buy a bolt action rifle with a good 1" recoil pad and put a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x scope on it.

When you are looking for the rifle, ask about the availability of ammo.

I have a 7-08, it's never seen a factory round because I can't remember ever seeing one on the shelf. I love it - absolutely believe it's one killing SOB that just seems to punch well above its weight but I'm loathe to recommend it to anyone who doesn't reload.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own a T3x Compact & Superlite in 6.5 Creed. I have not killed anything with either rifle yet but have little doubt that with a 127LRX would handle what you’re looking for and given the 6.5’s ability to shoot heavier bullets than a .243 takes it up a notch.

As far as shooting, the Tikkas are so easy to shoot accurately it’s almost boring.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teal
I have a 7-08, it's never seen a factory round because I can't remember ever seeing one on the shelf. I love it - absolutely believe it's one killing SOB that just seems to punch well above its weight but I'm loathe to recommend it to anyone who doesn't reload.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/7mm-08-remington

Doesn't seem to be an issue?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I appreciate everyone's input and experience! I'll admit I'm a bit prejudice against the .243 from my past experience, but I will not rule it out as I may find that the gun I pick up fits me perfect. Right now I'm leaning toward the 7-08 and 6.5 CM.

8SNAKE, I'll take a look at that Steyr and see if anyone has one near me. That's a big problem as well. I live in SW KS and there just isn't a lot of selection in stock near me. Wichita is the closest real town with any number on the rack, and then you're looking at Cabelas and Academy mostly. A few other mom-n-pop stores, but they mainly have the AR type stuff with bolt actions sprinkled in here and there in my experience.

https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/i-want-steyr

Looks like the closest Steyr dealers to you are either Colorado Springs or Lyndon, KS. You might find a used one closer, but they're not the most common rifles out there. If it was earlier in the year and I was headed your way in search of prairie dogs, I'd bring mine along and let you test drive it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Anything in the .24-.26 caliber range generating 2500+fps will serve your needs well. I personally would expand those parameters quite a bit but you seem focused there.

As for accuracy, don't turn your nose up at 2moa. Super accuracy is the goal/dream of everyone here (me included) but truth be told a 2" gun will kill stuff all day long (and well into the night😁).

If it shoots 2" at 400 yards, it's almost good enough. 2 MOA at that distance: Hell no!!! OP, add 7mm08 to your list. It does not recoil very much. I'd go with Tikka, if you are looking for a no bs rifle..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't see much love for the .260Rem anymore. Used to think it had all the right stuff. Is the 6.5CM that much better?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s not that much better, just available.

Now with even more aplomb
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPro
It’s not that much better, just available.

Ah, I see.

Had one in a Sako stainless laminate. Recoil was extremely light.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Blooze Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Cluggins
Has your husband given you permission to buy a new rifle?

She has 🤣

I shot heavy longbows and recurves for a long time (don’t need no training wheels). More than about 45 lbs and it starts to separate. Along with several car wrecks and some rotator cuff injuries it just damn painful to shoot anything remotely manly. Had to down grade to a 20 gauge for bird season.

I feel like a traitor to the selfbow community having to go to a rifle.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
A Tikka compact in 6.5 Creedmoor would be a handy s.o.b. I think.

I went with a stainless t3x in 7mm08. Light, handy, very accurate. If mine ran off today I’d buy the exact same rifle tomorrow.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Everyone I know that has an X bolt Creed loves them. I have one. It’s a tack driver. Bought it from a member on here. Shoot the reduced Recoil HSM 140 grains. You will not be disappointed in accuracy, recoil, or wound channel.

My daughter shot a buck at 100 yards roughly and hit him square in the lower shoulders….bullet stayed together and passed through both shoulders and exited. The wound channel was very impressive to say the least.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
For your listed budget and braked don’t fool around with with the small bores go all out 16.5-18inch 308 threaded model 7 think me later 😉 [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by earlybrd; 09/26/22.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Orion2000
My family has killed a good many deer with a .243 Winchester pushing a 95gr Nosler partition. Recoil in an 8lb rifle is close to non-existent...

I have no doubt the .243 can do the job and recoil is practically nil. I’ve just had some iffy experiences having to track deer for others even on good shots. Think 200 yard plus, standing in 3’ tall thick CRP grass. If they don’t bleed good or drop right there it’s easy to lose them. Practically non-existent blood trails due to no pass through. How are they out to 300 or so yards? I know that’s a pretty common range where I hunt.

No experience at 300 yards here in my AO. Keep in mind, regardless of chambering, "the bullet" has a good bit of bearing on exit wounds, blood trails, etc. I am switching from 130gr Nosler Accubonds to 130gr Nosler Ballistic tips this year in my .270 Win. Reason is I have never had a "bang flop" with the .270 and 130gr Accubonds. At 100 yards, the NAB's tend to pencil through a KY Whitetail. With minimal blood trail. Sample of ~6. They all died. But, zero fell over dead like they do with the Partition out of a .243. Go figure. I am hoping that the 130gr NBT's will open up faster in the deer. I also have some 130gr Partitions loaded up. If I have the opportunity, I may do some side by side comparisons...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (16gage, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16penny, 64 invisible), 3,031 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,620
Posts18,492,682
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.