-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and there is an obverse side of the evacuate coin. Right now, I-75 and I-4, along with the Florida TP are clogged. Bumper to bumper heavy traffic in heavy rain and wind. There won't be any motels for hundreds of miles with a vacancy, and as always in a storm like this if you go north to escape, the storm just follows you. Power outages can curtail any hope of getting refueled along the way, not to mention huge lines waiting to get a few gallons.
When a tropical system spans the entire state, there isn't a good way to escape it.
I have always felt that if you were not right on the coast, it's best to just ride it out. In the 70+ years I have lived in FL, I have seen it all, experienced the result of good and bad choices, good and bad luck. I'm still alive though. smile

Sam......

Geno67 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Pretty significant lightning happening now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Geno67
Originally Posted by EdM
Is this the one that was going to be a big nothing?

Yes. I was wrong. I apologize profusely. When the invest was forecasted to become a hurricane - cat 2 was the strength they forecast it at. It has significantly out performed the models.

Originally Posted by SupFoo
Eye is smaller at 18 Nautical Miles and circular. It was 30 NM before impacting Cuba.

Is the Eye getting smaller good news or bad news? And why.

Serious question

Generally bad news. Smaller usually means more intense/stronger. Especially when associated with a larger storm - this storm is now very large.

A news article that explains it pretty well:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/weather/2020/10/06/the-dreaded-pinhole-eye

Uh, we need Deflave to remind some of you without gills to man up.

Praying Deflave will be OK. Been doing so for years. I don't think GOD hears.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
A small eye in a big hurricane is really bad news.

But some bonehead will fly into it anyway, huh.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
How is this storm different? Seems to be a normal hurricane which may happen this time of year.

They're all different. Some move fast with high winds and moderate surge (such as this one), some sit out there for weeks and make landfall as a Cat 1 storm, but have a Cat 5 surge. The angle that they arrive makes a difference also.

Probably the most significant thing about this one is that it's threatening a major population area that hasn't had a hurricane in 100 years.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’m going to follow this up with a perspective from Conservative Treehouse and HappyCamper.org.

We are waiting with baited breath.

Bring it.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Geno67 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SupFoo
A small eye in a big hurricane is really bad news.

But some bonehead will fly into it anyway, huh.

Yep - both Air Force and NOAA planes fly into it almost non-stop once it's 36 hours out. The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, a component of the 403rd Wing located at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, MS flies WC-130J aircraft. NOAA has P-3 Orions and Gulfstream IV-SP (G-IV) fast movers.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I was just looking at the radar and I swear it looks to be going much more eastward than the tracks are predicting. I’m from Key West and that’s really bad news for my family that still lives there. If it goes ashore further south and travels more easterly it will save many billions of dollars in damages. Naples to Fort Myers is a relatively thin strip of development and then the Everglades. If it hits there and goes northeast it will hit a much less populated area all the way across Florida.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
and there is an obverse side of the evacuate coin. Right now, I-75 and I-4, along with the Florida TP are clogged. Bumper to bumper heavy traffic in heavy rain and wind. There won't be any motels for hundreds of miles with a vacancy, and as always in a storm like this if you go north to escape, the storm just follows you. Power outages can curtail any hope of getting refueled along the way, not to mention huge lines waiting to get a few gallons.
When a tropical system spans the entire state, there isn't a good way to escape it.
I have always felt that if you were not right on the coast, it's best to just ride it out. In the 70+ years I have lived in FL, I have seen it all, experienced the result of good and bad choices, good and bad luck. I'm still alive though. smile
I was saying in my post that I’d have left two days ago when you could still get out. The roads out will be jammed and soon to become parking lots.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Have been at our Tenn place several times when storms hit anywhere between E. Texas-Florida, plenty of those 'evacuees' head up there and fill the overnight/vacation rentals.

FJB & FJT
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Megyn Kelly has a small eye.

Us newshawks notice stuff like that

Geno67 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was just looking at the radar and I swear it looks to be going much more eastward than the tracks are predicting. I’m from Key West and that’s really bad news for my family that still lives there. If it goes ashore further south and travels more easterly it will save many billions of dollars in damages. Naples to Fort Myers is a relatively thin strip of development and then the Everglades. If it hits there and goes northeast it will hit a much less populated area all the way across Florida.

I would guess more eastward and south. Naples, Fort Myers are most likely in the crosshairs at this time.

It is now outperforming the models again and rapidly intensifying (with nothing in front of it to cause weakening). I would not be surprised if it becomes a C5 but I kind of doubt it will make it as it has to do so before landfall. I don't see much weakening before landfall either unfortunately. A serious cat 4 is most likely going to happen before midnight.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Geno67 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I'd put something in her eye.

I have a doctor's appointment and will be out this afternoon. Hold down the fort.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I have a doctor's appointment and will be out this afternoon. Hold down the fort.

Dude

I got to change out a terlot. Upgrades.

Slumlord has to do some slumlord work. Pays the bills for this one-man news outlet.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I would guess more eastward and south. Naples, Fort Myers are most likely in the crosshairs at this time.

It is now outperforming the models again and rapidly intensifying (with nothing in front of it to cause weakening). I would not be surprised if it becomes a C5 but I kind of doubt it will make it as it has to do so before landfall. I don't see much weakening before landfall either unfortunately. A serious cat 4 is most likely going to happen before midnight.
If it goes ashore Naples to Fort Myers as a high cat 4 as big as it is it will push an incredible storm surge across a wide area and basically scub those communities off the map. If you know the area they’re screwed ! Shallow approach to pile the water up on and thousands of miles of waterways pointed just about perfect to channel the surge inland. It will be horrible ! You know there will be thousands of Yankees who think they’re a long way from water and have nothing to worry about who’s house will be completely submerged.

Geno67 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Latest dropsonde in the eye of Ian finds 958mb - a 5mb drop in a little over an hour.

Yes, unfortunately, the western side of south Florida is about to have a very bad day. Probably starting about an hour before daylight tomorrow morning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dude

Slumlord has to do some slumlord work. Pays the bills for this one-man news outlet.

You need some sponsors.

You don’t have a “Tim’s Septic Tank” or “Ronnie’s Tree Service” in your area?

You missing out on 💰💵💸

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of my fishing buddies is a commercial fisherman in Venice, looks like they will be hit hard.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Geno67 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Dude

And we all appreciate the work you do - you're irreplaceable.

Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Dude

You need some sponsors.

You don’t have a “Tim’s Septic Tank” or “Ronnie’s Tree Service” in your area?

You missing out on 💰💵💸

He does need some sponsors - we'll have to see if we can rustle up some folks to back him up.

Originally Posted by stxhunter
One of my fishing buddies is a commercial fisherman in Venice, looks like they will be hit hard.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yes. Very hard. I pray I am wrong but I fear I am not.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 33 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,882
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.