longer range.

The hurricane should remain in a favorable environment for
restrengthening over the next day or so while it moves over the warm
waters of the southeastern Gulf of Mexico and in light-shear
conditions. While the shear should increase by tomorrow, it isn't
expected to be enough to significantly weaken the hurricane before
landfall. Model guidance is in fairly good agreement on this
scenario, and the NHC intensity forecast continues to call for an
extremely dangerous hurricane landfall for southwestern Florida.

The new forecast necessitates a Hurricane Watch for portions of
extreme southwestern Florida, and a Tropical Storm Watch for the
rest of southeastern Florida that wasn't previously under a watch.
Users are reminded to not focus on the exact track as some
additional adjustments to the track are possible. Significant wind,
storm surge, and rainfall hazards will extend far from the center.

Key Messages:

1. Life-threatening storm surge, hurricane-force winds, flash floods
and possible mudslides are expected to continue in portions of
western Cuba today. Devastating wind damage is expected near the
core of Ian.

2. Life-threatening storm surge looks increasingly likely along much
of the Florida west coast where a storm surge warning is in effect,
with the highest risk from Fort Myers to the Tampa Bay region.
Residents in these areas should listen to advice given by local
officials and follow evacuation orders if made for your area.

3. Hurricane-force winds are expected in the hurricane warning area
in southwest and west-central Florida beginning Wednesday morning
with tropical storm conditions expected by this evening. Residents
should rush all preparations to completion today.

4. Heavy rainfall will increase across the Florida Keys and south
Florida today, spreading into central and northern Florida tonight
and Wednesday, into the Southeast U.S. by Thursday and Friday,
likely causing flash, urban, and small stream flooding. Considerable
flooding is expected across central Florida into southern Georgia
and coastal South Carolina, with widespread, prolonged moderate to
major river flooding expected across central Florida.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 27/1500Z 23.0N 83.5W 100 KT 115 MPH
12H 28/0000Z 24.4N 83.3W 115 KT 130 MPH
24H 28/1200Z 26.0N 83.0W 115 KT 130 MPH
36H 29/0000Z 27.1N 82.5W 110 KT 125 MPH
48H 29/1200Z 27.8N 82.1W 75 KT 85 MPH...INLAND
60H 30/0000Z 28.5N 81.7W 60 KT 70 MPH...INLAND
72H 30/1200Z 29.5N 81.5W 50 KT 60 MPH...INLAND
96H 01/1200Z 33.0N 81.8W 35 KT 40 MPH...INLAND
120H 02/1200Z 35.0N 81.5W 25 KT 30 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
Posted By: Geno67 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
Visible:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IR:

This is a good site for real time radar.

FSU Radar

Eye is smaller at 18 Nautical Miles and circular. It was 30 NM before impacting Cuba.

Good news on the surge front for Tampa Bay and Pinellas barrier islands. Appears Venice, Englewood, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, and Ft Myers will get the brunt of surge now.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
I’m going to follow this up with a perspective from Conservative Treehouse and HappyCamper.org.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’m going to follow this up with a perspective from Conservative Treehouse and HappyCamper.org.

I new we could count on you. As always, YOU DA MAN!
Posted By: EdM Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
Is this the one that was going to be a big nothing?
Posted By: SupFoo Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
Originally Posted by Geno67
Eye is smaller at 18 Nautical Miles and circular. It was 30 NM before impacting Cuba.

Is the Eye getting smaller good news or bad news? And why.

Serious question
The wind field expanded a bit

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 35 miles (55 km) from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 140 miles (220 km).

Surge maps updated in real time:
nhc - noaa surge map
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
Originally Posted by SupFoo

Serious question

Bad. It means that it is intensifying.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
Originally Posted by EdM
Just some rain.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Serious question

Bad. It means that it is intensifying.

I get it. "The Clint Eastwood Squint". Ya, very bad.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by EdM

Yes. I was wrong. I apologize profusely. When the invest was forecasted to become a hurricane - cat 2 was the strength they forecast it at. It has significantly out performed the models.

Serious question

Generally bad news. Smaller usually means more intense/stronger. Especially when associated with a larger storm - this storm is now very large.

A news article that explains it pretty well:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/weather/2020/10/06/the-dreaded-pinhole-eye
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
Forecast is getting a little better for me but if it slowly drifts right up the mouth of Tampa Bay it will do catastrophic damage with storm surge. It’s a slow moving hurricane so that will destroy a lot more also. Hour upon hour of water and wind battering structures and trees will weaken and destroy what would survive a faster moving hurricane. The track has drifted east enough to put my house on the “good” side of the hurricane. I’m still projected to get 6”-10” of rain and possibly 50mph winds. I’m betting on 30ish mph winds. If you live in the impact area and aren’t in an elevated modern home I’d get the f**k out ! 10’+ of pounding water for hours will kill a lot of people who stay. If I lived anywhere along the projected impact area from two days ago I’d have already buttoned up the house , grabbed documents and irreplaceable items and have left already. Your community isn’t going to be reasonably livable for a long time. A hotel with AC and hot water will be paradise compared to your home and community. Go relax. This is what insurance is for.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
Originally Posted by EdM

Is this the same who brought us - Biden is going to be impeached on Monday?

Starting not to believe so much they say...
South Florida Water Management District multi modal radar, rainfall estimates and real time gauge readings.

www.sfwmd.gov/weather-radar/current-weather-conditions
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
How is this storm different? Seems to be a normal hurricane which may happen this time of year.
It is very large and intense.

Another visible image:

Serious question
It’s usually bad. If you had seen devastation of Andrew you would understand. Andrew’s eye was very small but the eye wall had 220+mph winds. That was determined later by modern analysis of the radar. I can’t remember exactly how wide the eye was but very small. Andrew was better described as a giant tornado than a hurricane. Where the eye went it left only slabs of houses. Concrete block homes were blown away down to the slab. A small eye in a big hurricane is really bad news.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
At least it is just a Major Hurricane, just think, what if it had made Light Colonel.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
How is this storm different? Seems to be a normal hurricane which may happen this time of year.
It’s not really different but it’s moving slow and is hitting a lot of vulnerable high value areas. Slow moving , the direction it’s coming from , and the power will combine to be devastating. It will push a huge storm surge right into a huge area of vulnerable homes and businesses. Storm surge is the real killer.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
and there is an obverse side of the evacuate coin. Right now, I-75 and I-4, along with the Florida TP are clogged. Bumper to bumper heavy traffic in heavy rain and wind. There won't be any motels for hundreds of miles with a vacancy, and as always in a storm like this if you go north to escape, the storm just follows you. Power outages can curtail any hope of getting refueled along the way, not to mention huge lines waiting to get a few gallons.
When a tropical system spans the entire state, there isn't a good way to escape it.
I have always felt that if you were not right on the coast, it's best to just ride it out. In the 70+ years I have lived in FL, I have seen it all, experienced the result of good and bad choices, good and bad luck. I'm still alive though. smile
Pretty significant lightning happening now.

Posted By: jaguartx Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
Originally Posted by EdM

Yes. I was wrong. I apologize profusely. When the invest was forecasted to become a hurricane - cat 2 was the strength they forecast it at. It has significantly out performed the models.

Serious question

Generally bad news. Smaller usually means more intense/stronger. Especially when associated with a larger storm - this storm is now very large.

A news article that explains it pretty well:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/weather/2020/10/06/the-dreaded-pinhole-eye

Uh, we need Deflave to remind some of you without gills to man up.

Praying Deflave will be OK. Been doing so for years. I don't think GOD hears.
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
A small eye in a big hurricane is really bad news.

But some bonehead will fly into it anyway, huh.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

They're all different. Some move fast with high winds and moderate surge (such as this one), some sit out there for weeks and make landfall as a Cat 1 storm, but have a Cat 5 surge. The angle that they arrive makes a difference also.

Probably the most significant thing about this one is that it's threatening a major population area that hasn't had a hurricane in 100 years.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22

We are waiting with baited breath.

Bring it.
A small eye in a big hurricane is really bad news.

But some bonehead will fly into it anyway, huh.

Yep - both Air Force and NOAA planes fly into it almost non-stop once it's 36 hours out. The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, a component of the 403rd Wing located at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, MS flies WC-130J aircraft. NOAA has P-3 Orions and Gulfstream IV-SP (G-IV) fast movers.
I was just looking at the radar and I swear it looks to be going much more eastward than the tracks are predicting. I’m from Key West and that’s really bad news for my family that still lives there. If it goes ashore further south and travels more easterly it will save many billions of dollars in damages. Naples to Fort Myers is a relatively thin strip of development and then the Everglades. If it hits there and goes northeast it will hit a much less populated area all the way across Florida.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
and there is an obverse side of the evacuate coin. Right now, I-75 and I-4, along with the Florida TP are clogged. Bumper to bumper heavy traffic in heavy rain and wind. There won't be any motels for hundreds of miles with a vacancy, and as always in a storm like this if you go north to escape, the storm just follows you. Power outages can curtail any hope of getting refueled along the way, not to mention huge lines waiting to get a few gallons.
When a tropical system spans the entire state, there isn't a good way to escape it.
I have always felt that if you were not right on the coast, it's best to just ride it out. In the 70+ years I have lived in FL, I have seen it all, experienced the result of good and bad choices, good and bad luck. I'm still alive though. smile
I was saying in my post that I’d have left two days ago when you could still get out. The roads out will be jammed and soon to become parking lots.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22

Have been at our Tenn place several times when storms hit anywhere between E. Texas-Florida, plenty of those 'evacuees' head up there and fill the overnight/vacation rentals.
Megyn Kelly has a small eye.

Us newshawks notice stuff like that
I was just looking at the radar and I swear it looks to be going much more eastward than the tracks are predicting. I’m from Key West and that’s really bad news for my family that still lives there. If it goes ashore further south and travels more easterly it will save many billions of dollars in damages. Naples to Fort Myers is a relatively thin strip of development and then the Everglades. If it hits there and goes northeast it will hit a much less populated area all the way across Florida.

I would guess more eastward and south. Naples, Fort Myers are most likely in the crosshairs at this time.

It is now outperforming the models again and rapidly intensifying (with nothing in front of it to cause weakening). I would not be surprised if it becomes a C5 but I kind of doubt it will make it as it has to do so before landfall. I don't see much weakening before landfall either unfortunately. A serious cat 4 is most likely going to happen before midnight.
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=09L&product=ir

This is the radar I’m watching.

I'd put something in her eye.

I have a doctor's appointment and will be out this afternoon. Hold down the fort.

I have a doctor's appointment and will be out this afternoon. Hold down the fort.

Dude

I got to change out a terlot. Upgrades.

Slumlord has to do some slumlord work. Pays the bills for this one-man news outlet.

I would guess more eastward and south. Naples, Fort Myers are most likely in the crosshairs at this time.

It is now outperforming the models again and rapidly intensifying (with nothing in front of it to cause weakening). I would not be surprised if it becomes a C5 but I kind of doubt it will make it as it has to do so before landfall. I don't see much weakening before landfall either unfortunately. A serious cat 4 is most likely going to happen before midnight.
If it goes ashore Naples to Fort Myers as a high cat 4 as big as it is it will push an incredible storm surge across a wide area and basically scub those communities off the map. If you know the area they’re screwed ! Shallow approach to pile the water up on and thousands of miles of waterways pointed just about perfect to channel the surge inland. It will be horrible ! You know there will be thousands of Yankees who think they’re a long way from water and have nothing to worry about who’s house will be completely submerged.
Latest dropsonde in the eye of Ian finds 958mb - a 5mb drop in a little over an hour.

Yes, unfortunately, the western side of south Florida is about to have a very bad day. Probably starting about an hour before daylight tomorrow morning.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22

Dude

Slumlord has to do some slumlord work. Pays the bills for this one-man news outlet.

You need some sponsors.

You don’t have a “Tim’s Septic Tank” or “Ronnie’s Tree Service” in your area?

You missing out on 💰💵💸
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
One of my fishing buddies is a commercial fisherman in Venice, looks like they will be hit hard.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dude

And we all appreciate the work you do - you're irreplaceable.

Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Dude

You need some sponsors.

You don’t have a “Tim’s Septic Tank” or “Ronnie’s Tree Service” in your area?

You missing out on 💰💵💸

He does need some sponsors - we'll have to see if we can rustle up some folks to back him up.

Originally Posted by stxhunter
One of my fishing buddies is a commercial fisherman in Venice, looks like they will be hit hard.

Yes. Very hard. I pray I am wrong but I fear I am not.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
We be loving us some hurricane...

[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]
On the bright side much of the area is newer construction. It’s all built to post Andrew codes. Anyplace that doesn’t actually flood should hold up well. The flood part is a mofo ! There will be a lot of flooding.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
When it hits land (reports say), it will slow way down and be a huge rain maker.
Ian's pressure falls to 952mb and sustained winds are 120 mph as strengthening continues.

Another visible image:

Yes, it's a huge system.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
God, please save Deflave.

-Wabigoon
Debris ball in Miami-Dade county in the glades. Probably the first tornado.

Originally Posted by STRSWilson
We be loving us some hurricane...

[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]
Charles Ramsey?
Posted By: TimZ Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
Looks like the Keys are already getting hammered.......do we have any regulars there?

Good luck guys....
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
Wife has a very close cousin living in port Charlotte. Her husband is up here in Michigan taking care of business. She's gonna ride it out. She's definitely gonna have an interesting couple of days.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/27/22
Looks like my 76 year old Mother and Step Father's home in Port Charlotte is going to get hit (Again). Luckily they got all the hurricane shutters locked in and left yesterday. I hope they have something to return to.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Another visible image:

Yes, it's a huge system.

No, it's not a large system. But that doesn't matter. It's gonna be plenty "huge" for the people who get that eastern eyewall. Hopefully those poor souls won't be overwhelmed by a populated area that loses electricity and Whole Foods for a few days.
Posted By: Geno67 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Hurricane Ian Discussion Number 19
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092022
500 PM EDT Tue Sep 27 2022

The pressure on the last Air Force Hurricane Hunter aircraft fix
fell to about 952 mb, indicating that Ian is restrengthening
over the southeastern Gulf of Mexico. The eye of Ian remains
well-defined on visible imagery, although radar data from Key West
suggest that an eyewall replacement could be in the initial stages.
The initial wind speed is set to 105 kt, matching a blend of
earlier SFMR and flight-level wind data. The plane data also
showed that the area of hurricane-force winds is growing on the
east side of the cyclone.

Ian is moving east-of-due-north, or 010/9-kt, with occasional
wobbles to the north-northeast. A track toward the north-northeast
is expected for the next couple of days while it moves between a
ridge over the Bahamas and a trough over the western Gulf of Mexico.
There has been some model convergence this afternoon showing Ian
remaining stronger and vertically deeper through landfall. This
solution results in a faster track, again adjusted to the southeast,
and the new forecast is moved in that direction. This new NHC track
is close to the corrected model consensus and between the quicker
ECMWF and slower GFS models. It should be emphasized that this
track remains uncertain, with a typical spread in the steering
features leading to big speed and track differences down the line,
not to mention the oblique angle of approach to Florida. In a few
days, more of the guidance is showing Ian interacting with a
shortwave trough over the southeastern United States, causing the
system to move back over the northwestern Atlantic in the longer
range, before turning northwestward back over land. The day 3-5
track forecast is also shifted eastward, although significant
re-strengthening is not expected at long range.

The outflow pattern of the hurricane is beginning to be impinged
upon in the southwestern quadrant, a sign that upper-level
southwesterly flow is starting to affect the outer circulation.
While the shear should increase up through landfall, it is just too
close-to-call whether it starts to weaken Ian or not, or whether the
larger system is able to resist the shear. Additionally, an eyewall
replacement cycle could be in its initial phases, although
predicting these structural changes is extremely difficult. The new
forecast is near the last one, a little higher than the consensus.
I should note that whether Ian comes ashore as category 4 hurricane
or a large category 3 after an eyewall cycle, avoiding a large and
destructive hurricane for Florida seems very unlikely, and residents
should heed the advice of local emergency management officials.

The new forecast necessitates a Hurricane Warning for portions of
extreme southwestern Florida, and a Tropical Storm Warning for the
rest of southeastern Florida that wasn't previously under a warning.
Users are reminded to not focus on the exact track as some
additional adjustments to the track are possible. Significant wind,
storm surge, and rainfall hazards will extend far from the center.

Key Messages:

1. Life-threatening storm surge is increasingly likely along the
Florida west coast where a storm surge warning is in effect, with
the highest risk from Naples to the Sarasota region. Residents in
these areas should listen to advice given by local officials and
follow any evacuation orders for your area.

2. Hurricane-force winds are expected in the hurricane warning area
in southwest and west-central Florida beginning Wednesday morning
with tropical storm conditions expected overnight. Devastating wind
damage is expected near the core of Ian. Residents should rush all
preparations to completion.

3. Heavy rainfall will affect most of the Florida Peninsula for the
next several days, spreading to the rest of the Southeast U.S. by
Thursday and Friday, likely causing flash, urban, and small stream
flooding. Considerable flooding is expected with widespread,
prolonged moderate to major river flooding expected across central
Florida.

INIT 27/2100Z 24.0N 83.2W 105 KT 120 MPH
12H 28/0600Z 25.3N 82.9W 115 KT 130 MPH
24H 28/1800Z 26.6N 82.5W 115 KT 130 MPH
36H 29/0600Z 27.6N 82.0W 70 KT 80 MPH...INLAND
48H 29/1800Z 28.5N 81.5W 55 KT 65 MPH...INLAND
60H 30/0600Z 29.4N 81.2W 45 KT 50 MPH...INLAND
72H 30/1800Z 31.0N 81.1W 45 KT 50 MPH...OVER WATER
96H 01/1800Z 34.5N 82.0W 25 KT 30 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
120H 02/1800Z...DISSIPATED
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Jeez

all we want is a little bit of the storm
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Another visible image:

Yes, it's a huge system.

No, it's not a large system. But that doesn't matter. It's gonna be plenty "huge" for the people who get that eastern eyewall. Hopefully those poor souls won't be overwhelmed by a populated area that loses electricity and Whole Foods for a few days.

Hurricane Ian stretches from Cuba to Washington DC and is twice as wide as Florida. It is a truly massive storm.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Originally Posted by Beaver10

-Wabigoon

Lord above, if it’s in your power, send us down some kill flave showers.

-Rio7
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Of course it is. It is a hurricane.
Posted By: deflave Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Of course it is. It is a hurricane.

What a jerk-off.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
I don't miss that hurricane BS at all. After hurricane Francis and then 2 weeks later Jeane in 04 and then Wilma in 05. My wife finally had enough of living on the water in Florida and moved to the woods.
Tornado warnings will be far too numerous to list out individually and there's no way I can devote that much time to it.

This site allows you to see any ongoing tornado warned areas:

https://www.tornadohq.com/

Sarasota through Port Charlotte are now in the crosshairs.
The eyewall is usually inundated with tornados...to numerous and obscured to count. Let's just hope that twenty mile stretch hits nowhere. But the fact is, it will hit someone, even if they live "nowhere". And the media will not GAF if it's not Democrats.

But they will survive. The sound of chainsaws and generators will be around for a long time there. And there will be no help, except from their friends, family and a few benevolent organizations.

Meanwhile, millions, of tax dollars will be given to the usual suspects in the usual places.

Do I sound jaded?

I've lived it over, and over
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Tornado warnings will be far too numerous to list out individually and there's no way I can devote that much time to it.

This site allows you to see any ongoing tornado warned areas:

https://www.tornadohq.com/

Sarasota through Port Charlotte are now in the crosshairs.

Geno, we've had tornado warnings for the last couple hours +/-. My power has been out for about an hour and a half.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
"If you are vaccinated, 3x boosted and double masked... the storm WILL NOT HARM YOU" Joe Biden
Latest satellite and radar looks like it’s making a jog to the right earlier than forecasted. Maybe it’s just a normal wobble these hurricanes exhibit, or the trough to the west is stronger than forecasted, but if I were in S Florida I’d be watching closely.
Posted By: deflave Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
I've lived it over, and over

Yeah.

You’ve told us a few thousand times.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
It looks to me like the eye is going straight up Charlotte Harbor and slamming Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. The storm surge will funnel up the inlet and drown the cities. Pry Ian doesn’t reorganize before it starts to drag against the land. If it doesn’t reorganize it will stay a cat 3 but if it reorganizes and strengthens again it will be much worse. The difference between a 105mph hurricane and a 130mph hurricane is a bunch of damage.
Originally Posted by Jerry_Lundegaard
Latest satellite and radar looks like it’s making a jog to the right earlier than forecasted. Maybe it’s just a normal wobble these hurricanes exhibit, or the trough to the west is stronger than forecasted, but if I were in S Florida I’d be watching closely.
I see the same thing but I think it’s a temporary wobble from the eye wall coming apart and replacing itself.
It looks to me like the eye is going straight up Charlotte Harbor and slamming Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. The storm surge will funnel up the inlet and drown the cities. Pry Ian doesn’t reorganize before it starts to drag against the land. If it doesn’t reorganize it will stay a cat 3 but if it reorganizes and strengthens again it will be much worse. The difference between a 105mph hurricane and a 130mph hurricane is a bunch of damage.

HH planes are in it now. Radar is indicating 120. We'll see if the aircraft verify that. Sadly, there's a 4500 CAPE ridge to the SE of Ian that's providing infeed and it (the very high CAPE ridge) is also expanding significantly.

Pretty sure it's going to continue to go farther right than forecast at least for the time being. Current heading is 10 degrees.
Posted By: DMc Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
URNT15 KNHC 280129
AF302 2409A IAN HDOB 11 20220928
012030 2618N 08508W 4101 07386 0378 -110 -260 322015 016 032 000 00
012100 2616N 08506W 4099 07390 0378 -109 -255 317016 016 032 000 00
012130 2614N 08504W 4101 07388 0378 -110 -251 313016 018 032 000 00
012200 2612N 08502W 4112 07376 0383 -106 -248 314018 019 032 000 00
012230 2610N 08500W 4266 07095 0367 -088 -246 335018 019 032 000 00
012300 2608N 08458W 4403 06850 0346 -072 -237 355019 019 032 000 00
012330 2606N 08456W 4538 06614 0327 -067 -228 011022 022 033 000 00
012400 2604N 08454W 4683 06366 0308 -054 -226 018025 027 034 000 00
012430 2602N 08453W 4833 06114 0288 -043 -217 013028 029 032 000 00
012500 2601N 08450W 4990 05863 0271 -038 -206 034027 030 035 001 03
012530 2601N 08448W 5158 05604 0254 -040 -196 029024 025 037 000 00
012600 2601N 08445W 5326 05349 0237 -024 -177 024025 025 036 000 00
012630 2601N 08443W 5498 05094 0221 -004 -163 021023 025 036 001 00
012700 2601N 08440W 5636 04894 0039 +002 -147 024021 023 035 000 03
012730 2601N 08438W 5786 04685 0032 +021 -131 040025 027 037 000 00
012800 2601N 08436W 5957 04444 0037 +031 -119 060030 031 041 000 00
012830 2601N 08433W 6137 04200 0057 +034 -106 060033 035 041 000 00
012900 2601N 08431W 6327 03954 0054 +050 -098 058035 035 040 000 00
012930 2601N 08429W 6569 03643 0054 +070 -083 053036 037 037 001 00
013000 2601N 08427W 6798 03361 0054 +087 -071 051037 038 037 001 00

The entire country of Cuba is without power. Complete grid failure. Hurricane Ian has collapsed Cuba's power grid, knocking out power to the island's 11 million people. https://t.co/CdMKTmfwvL
-- The Associated Press (@AP) September 28, 2022

South FL is inundated with tornadoes. It's just one after another. Damn it.

Radar indicating >130 mph winds at eye. HH aircraft is in the storm, still waiting for data broadcast. The last broadcast found 126+ at the aircraft altitude. This would probably mean 115 or so at the surface.
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
[Linked Image from nhc.noaa.gov]
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Florida is a great place…..To vacation.

HH planes are in it now. Radar is indicating 120. We'll see if the aircraft verify that. Sadly, there's a 4500 CAPE ridge to the SE of Ian that's providing infeed and it (the very high CAPE ridge) is also expanding significantly.

Pretty sure it's going to continue to go farther right than forecast at least for the time being. Current heading is 10 degrees.
I just looked at the infrared satellite imagery and it looks like it has really slowed down and drifted east more. Slower it goes over that hot water the stronger it’s going to be. It’s a big hot monster right now and there’s nothing to weaken it currently. The eye has basically disappeared so it should start to build its new eye wall and get stronger quickly. I wonder how full Okeechobee is ?
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
It is getting windy here in Naples.
Fort Lauderdale - radar estimates 7 inches of rain and canals are currently 3-4 feet above normal.

Heat index in Key West is 100.
Ian’s eyewall replacement is complete & there’s a new burst of inner core lightning in the upshear (SW) quadrant of the eyewall, which may signal of an ongoing period of re-intensification. The absence of a hole on the imagery is just high level cloud cover. Regardless, hurricane-force winds should move onshore SW FL within several hours.

In flight data shows a rise of a few millibars in pressure. Still waiting for dropsonde data to confirm.

I just looked at the infrared satellite imagery and it looks like it has really slowed down and drifted east more. Slower it goes over that hot water the stronger it’s going to be. It’s a big hot monster right now and there’s nothing to weaken it currently. The eye has basically disappeared so it should start to build its new eye wall and get stronger quickly. I wonder how full Okeechobee is ?

If you look at the water vapor loops, it appears the strong trough to the west is beginning to shear the outflow in the SW quadrant. Maybe this tough will win out an weaken Ian? Time will tell.
Too big now for that shear to have any effect. Also offset by pulling in high CAPE air from the SE quadrant. 4500+
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Originally Posted by Beaver10

n

This^^^.

Uh, why exactly?

Oh yeah, he's going to man up, hang in there and send us videos as it blows.
120 mph sustained and pressure rose to 952mb confirmed by dropsonde. Eyewall replacement was faster than any I've seen. Current eyewall has constricted to previous size. Don't see that very often.
"House is experiencing minor flooding in Key West... still about 2 more hours to high tide with the "back side" and surge side yet to impact us, hopefully it will stay minor but I am not optimistic We are staying at a hotel on the 2nd floor because we were concerned about the flood risk. I figure many must be experiencing significant flooding as our elevation is about average on the island.

This is S. Roosevelt/A1A"

Posted By: ironbender Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
I believe that’s TLee’s stamping grounds.

I hope he had his shotgun loaded and stays safe.
Posted By: night_owl Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
I'm not seeing much in the way of updates on this storm.
Report from Key West:

"I'm probably 60nmiles from the center. This is intense. Gusts over 70mph easily. Would not be surprised if we have had gusts to 100mph.

Seawalls are breached. Surge is becoming a major problem. A lot of flooded areas. Some roads are easily waist deep."
Posted By: night_owl Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Wow. stay safe.
This 53rdWRS pass through Ian shows the new core already has 115-kt (132 mph) flight level winds and a huge area of hurricane-force winds to the northeast, which will prolong and expand impacts.
Originally Posted by Sandlapper
[Linked Image from nhc.noaa.gov]

Holy smoke...

The Tennessee Mafia is gonna get... rain
Very sad to say but again, this storm has outperformed all model predictions.

155 mph sustained winds (184 mph gusts) and 935 mb pressure. If it doesn't make it to a cat 5, I'll be very surprised. At its current speed, it has 5-8 hours over water and will most likely strengthen the entire time.

WTNT44 KNHC 281057
TCDAT4

Hurricane Ian Special Discussion Number 23
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092022
700 AM EDT Wed Sep 28 2022

This special advisory is being issued to update Ian's current and
forecast intensity. Recent NOAA and Air Force Reserve Hurricane
Hunter flight-level winds are as high as 160 kt, with SFMR data
around 135 kt, with a central pressure down to 937 mb. This
supports a current intensity of 135 kt.

The forecast intensity is raised to 135 kt at landfall, and we are
now forecasting a catastrophic storm surge of 12 to 16 ft from
Englewood to Bonita Beach, Florida. No other significant changes
were made to the forecast.

INIT 28/1100Z 25.9N 82.8W 135 KT 155 MPH
12H 28/1800Z 26.7N 82.4W 135 KT 155 MPH
24H 29/0600Z 27.7N 81.7W 80 KT 90 MPH...INLAND
36H 29/1800Z 28.7N 81.1W 50 KT 60 MPH...INLAND
48H 30/0600Z 29.8N 80.7W 45 KT 50 MPH...OVER WATER
60H 30/1800Z 31.6N 80.8W 45 KT 50 MPH
72H 01/0600Z 33.6N 81.4W 30 KT 35 MPH...INLAND
96H 02/0600Z 36.1N 82.1W 25 KT 30 MPH...POST-TROP/INLAND
120H 03/0600Z...DISSIPATED
Posted By: MtnHiker Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Well family emergency has me in Sarasota. Wind is increasing along with rain. Power flickering. I am in evac zone C. A&B already mandatory evac. Figure about 5 hours to sweat it out. Godspeed all.
Godspeed Brother. Hold fast for about a day.

AF aircraft 301 is staging for another pass.

Report from Key West:

"I'm probably 60nmiles from the center. This is intense. Gusts over 70mph easily. Would not be surprised if we have had gusts to 100mph.

Seawalls are breached. Surge is becoming a major problem. A lot of flooded areas. Some roads are easily waist deep."
Probably half the cars in Key West will flood again. A family friend just finished remodeling their house last month. King tide and surge coming together will likely flood their home. King tides are extremely high tides that occur this time of year.
Probably half the cars in Key West will flood.

Good thing there is an abundance of new and used cars in the marketplace...
Posted By: JeffA Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Don't let the talking heads mislead you.

VV This is a far better camera, well worth the click VV

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
155 mph sustained winds now. Gusts over 180mph. Going up to a Cat 5 storm. This is far from over.
Originally Posted by JeffA
Don't let the talking heads mislead you.

Wonder how high the water got as Ian passed ?
Well, I see an occasional car pass by so that's a bit of an indicator.
I’m hoping it was a bunch of nothing for Key West.
Well the power is up or these cameras wouldn't be online and running.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Not looking good when it makes landfall.
Godspeed Brother. Hold fast for about a day.

Great advice. A lot of people are gonna be effected and they will all want to "check on their stuff" asap. If you're in the highly effected area, it will be days before you can get in (or out). Roads will be blocked by debris, bridges may be out, roofing tacks will be everywhere, power lines will be on the ground. There will be no services, no gas, no food for a while. Expect things to start moving in about three days.

Just be patient and be safe. There are a lot of hurricane virgins that going to have a tough time with this one.
Posted By: Teal Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Hope you guys all make it okay.

People ask me "Teal, why do you live where the wind hurts your face and you have to shovel snow in April and shorts are a 3-5 week season?"

This - this is exactly why. No poisonous snakes, no deadly bugs, no lizards and no hurricanes.
Posted By: 160user Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Originally Posted by Teal
Hope you guys all make it okay.

People ask me "Teal, why do you live where the wind hurts your face and you have to shovel snow in April and shorts are a 3-5 week season?"

This - this is exactly why. No poisonous snakes, no deadly bugs, no lizards and no hurricanes.

The same here but the 11 months of winter and 30 days of rain does kind of suck at times.
Cold hurts. A lot.

On another sad note - the aircraft keep turning back due to issues. It's sad to see the state of our equipment deteriorating right before our eyes. Our government and now our military are not inspiring a great deal of confidence.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Geno Jr. is meeting me in Union Springs, AL with a generator and a window unit. I'll be gone for 6+ hours.

AF301 looks like it finally made it out of the core they were stuck in. They are pros at this. 144kt (166 mph) flight level winds at the weakest portion of the eye they went through. Probably no more recons into the eye before landfall, getting dangerous with the intense core being so close to shore. A ton of lightning to deal with makes it tough to get out sometimes. Ian has an extraordinary amount of lightning.

Pressure down to 932. Still intensifying with almost half of the storm on land.

Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Im in Fort Myers. A lot of rain but not too bad yet. Power is still on so that is good.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
This damn thing is going to cause truly catastrophic damage. Record breaking. Sucks for those affected. Hopefully loss of human life is minimal.
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Im in Fort Myers. A lot of rain but not too bad yet. Power is still on so that is good.

What is your elevation? Don't take that storm surge lightly. 18-10= 8.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

What is your elevation? Don't take that storm surge lightly. 18-10= 8.
Im not sure exactly. I am in evac zone E. They have mandatory evacs for A,B and some C assuming worst case. Im pretty far out East of 75 and North of the Airport.
Posted By: andy57 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
My mother and niece are in zone b Bonita Spring staying in place withe generator on standby. Hope to hear drom
her later this evening
Originally Posted by andy57
My mother and niece are in zone b Bonita Spring staying in place withe generator on standby. Hope to hear drom
her later this evening

Best of luck.
It always baffles me when people don't know what elevation they live/work at. Huh? Seriously? It is important for many many reasons.

Use this map. Find your location and it will let you know what to expect.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/100939.shtml?inundation#contents
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Good luck guys.
Posted By: Teal Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
It always baffles me when people don't know what elevation they live/work at. Huh? Seriously? It is important for many many reasons.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/100939.shtml?inundation#contents

The only time I ever gave 2 chits about my ele at work/home was to tune carbs for the snowmobiles. Has zero impact here otherwise.
Maybe a little clearer.

Originally Posted by Teal

The only time I ever gave 2 chits about my ele at work/home was to tune carbs for the snowmobiles. Has zero impact here otherwise.

If you were unaware of it and lived in a flood plain the impact would be significant sooner or later.
Posted By: andy57 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
I once live in Bonita Springs, weather there did not suit me and way too many people. And at 10 ft above sea level not safe. Even at age 65 I like colder weather and no crowds. I hope the best for those in areas impacted whatever they chose to do. i live at 659 ft above sea level
To the people swimming/surfing at Ft. Myers Beach - I salute you! Ya'll are driving the people on americanwx and storm2k completely nuts.

My house is about 80 feet above sea level, at the top of a hill. Storm water flows both east and west from my property.
That'll make your parts draw up.

Posted By: Sycamore Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
https://earth.nullschool.net/?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Cool website Syc
That'll make your parts draw up.

That’s some serious windshear !
To the people swimming/surfing at Ft. Myers Beach - I salute you! Ya'll are driving the people on americanwx and storm2k completely nuts.
No one is doing that now. A good friend just lost his new boat, dock and house. One of his neighbor’s entire home disappeared. It’s a disaster there. Flooding, winds and storm surge.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Has anyone heard from Terry? I believe he lives in Punta Gorda.
Fort Myers Beach is underwater.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Anyone heard from T LEE?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Holy crap.
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Anyone heard from T LEE?
Hope he's okay.
Anyone heard from T LEE?
Sent him a text earlier, bit no reply yet. Fingers crossed.
Anyone heard from T LEE?
Sent him a text earlier, bit no reply yet. Fingers crossed.

If ya hear something, please let us know. Hope he evacuated.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
Heard from my wife's cousin in port Charlotte. She said it got sporty but her generator is going and no water in the house. The canal behind the house is high but their house is 9 foot in elevation....I guess that's a lot in Florida.
People camping in their attics tonight
Posted By: RHutch Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/28/22
My dad is in Port Charlotte...no word since this morning.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Originally Posted by RHutch

He's on the north side of the storm and that's a good thing.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Friends in Sarasota say it was really rough there but are okay.

Lost contact with a Friend in Titusville. Hope to hear from him tonight, hopefully.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22

Yes it is.
Posted By: RandyR Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Cape Coral was hit pretty hard but I heard the water stopped at the garage door at our place, not sure if we have a roof yet or not.
Screen porch around the pool is in Georgia by now.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Heard from my wife's cousin in port Charlotte. She said it got sporty but her generator is going and no water in the house. The canal behind the house is high but their house is 9 foot in elevation....I guess that's a lot in Florida.

I guess they didn't get the 18' surge NOAA predicted. That's a really good thing.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
They'll do anything for ratings:

https://twitter.com/ian693/status/1575155497329741828
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BS. The Fire weather man Flave said there is no storm. He's drinking and playing golf and drinking.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
T Lee is ok. Staying with some folks. Had to leave their place.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Good to hear.
Posted By: Steve Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Good to hear.

+1
Posted By: ironbender Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
👍👏
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
👍👏
Ditto ditto
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by ironbender
👍👏
Ditto ditto

glad Terry is OK.

Port Charlotte Update
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
our friend Vince is on the Eastern shore around Orlando

Sending concerned thoughts and prayers
Posted By: deflave Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
We have family in North Port.

They're perfectly fine but without power.

They wanted to stay here but I told them no. They also need my generator, that is also a no.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Originally Posted by deflave

They wanted to stay here but I told them no. They also need my generator, that is also a no.

So, he's not a rich uncle.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

So, he's not a rich uncle.

Hey what happened to our bet?

LOL

Dumb ass.
Originally Posted by Kenlguy

Why would he need thoughts and prayers?
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
What, you ain’t dead yet?

Damn, might as well take that doll out of the shower.

Was the rain cold at least?
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

The shower don't work, ya gotta weight them down to the bottom of a full bathtub
Originally Posted by jaguartx

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BS. The Fire weather man Flave said there is no storm. He's drinking and playing golf and drinking.

Uhhh, no dumb fugk.

I said there was no storm here. Meaning where I am located.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
We need gratuitous "leveled mobile home parks" pics.

Que... CNN type members

The shower don't work, ya gotta weight them down to the bottom of a full bathtub

I woulda thought the floor fan set on “high” would get it done. Apparently not.

I need to learn to say no more often.

Got screwed outta a SUV last night.

A dumbazzed friend of a friends dumbazzed wife comes rolling in on me here where I got all these rigs stored.

Truck he came in on goes roaring away, they just dropped him off.

He comes up a panicky sayin' he's gotta have a car, he needs to get two counties over and fast.

He works for Pike and they'd been moving their trucks all day staging them to go rippin' down south to rebuild all the powerlines the storm took out.

[Linked Image]

Seems Mr.Dumbazz had left his lunch bucket in one of the trucks and his car keys were in it.

Of course I've got every thing with wheels of everybody's here that needed stored and everything is full of gas.

That's why I'm camped out here like a guard dog.

The dudes story was just full of holes, says he'll be back in a couple hours "unless" he gets his call out and has to head south, "but" if that was to happen, they'd let him come home first to grab clothes.
He wasn't a good lier, I was just ready to tell him to FO when his wife called me with the please, please, please schit, she's at work at the hospital.

I let them wear me down and tossed him the keys to a little Chevy SUV I had sitting here.

He was no sooner gone and the wife calls me back, she's like 'I dunno how he's gonna get in the house if his keys are in his lunchbox two counties over', I ask, why's he gotta get in the house? She says he's gotta get his clothes.

He wasn't taking calls anymore, her's or mine and of course he never came back.

Prick was lying all along, I'm sure his car is somewhere close by and outta gas, he'd got his call-out to go south before he came to see me.

That's how ya burn bridges, they'll get nothing ever again.

Christ only knows where he's left the SUV or when he might get back from South Florida.

I woulda thought the floor fan set on “high” would get it done. Apparently not.

Maybe you didn't use enough pins and needles?
Originally Posted by Steve
Good to hear.

+1
+2

At the risk of boring the crap out of people on this otherwise interesting thread, I’m just gonna briefly point out that “voodoo” is a West African word, from the language of the Ewe (“Eweh”) people, of present-day Ghana and Togo.
Wind, cold, and about a normal amount of rainfall, is all we got. Still wet, cold, and rainy outside. Some palm fronds are on the ground from the wind.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Douglas R. Clifford/Tampa Bay Times via AP
Hundreds of people in Florida's Lee County were killed when Hurricane Ian slammed the region, a sheriff said Thursday.

“The fatalities in the hundreds," Sheriff Carmine Marceno told "Good Morning America."

"There are thousands of people that are waiting to be rescued. And again, cannot get a true assessment until we're actually on scene assessing each scene, and we can't access people that's the problem," he added.

The devastating statement came less than 24 hours after the Category 4 hurricane battered Florida's west coast, leaving much of the Fort Myers and Tampa area in ruins.
Posted By: Geno67 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing
We need gratuitous "leveled mobile home parks" pics.

Que... CNN type members

Someone else will have to post those. I'll take a pass.
Damn 😕
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Damn 😕

Yep. Sounds like a pretty bad situation. Prayers for those folks down there.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22

Orlando is not on any shore. He's fine.
Posted By: Teal Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Orlando is not on any shore. He's fine.

Water hazards at Disney Golf?
Posted By: Geno67 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Orlando is a mess. Comms may be down in that area for quite some time.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22

Thanks for the update.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
You reap what you sow when it comes to hurricanes. Just a few years ago Hurricane Michael wiped out Port St Joe and Mexico Beach, Florida, both places have built back bigger than ever. It's only a matter of time before both places are wiped out again. Common sense isn't common anymore.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Haven't heard from my friend in Rotunda since they were in the eye. I sure hope their house is situated on ground higher than the storm surge.
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
My family is safe. No power, but safe.

I’m hearing reports of fatalities here in Collier and also Lee county. Major storm surge caused the biggest problem.

When you’re warned of possible 12’ to 18’ surge and choose not to leave its on YOU!
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
We are already getting wind from this storm here in N.C. I heard the wind chimes on the front porch pick up during the night. The energy from these storms is incredible.

I need to learn to say no more often.

Got screwed outta a SUV last night.

A dumbazzed friend of a friends dumbazzed wife comes rolling in on me here where I got all these rigs stored.

Truck he came in on goes roaring away, they just dropped him off.

He comes up a panicky sayin' he's gotta have a car, he needs to get two counties over and fast.

He works for Pike and they'd been moving their trucks all day staging them to go rippin' down south to rebuild all the powerlines the storm took out.

[Linked Image]

Seems Mr.Dumbazz had left his lunch bucket in one of the trucks and his car keys were in it.

Of course I've got every thing with wheels of everybody's here that needed stored and everything is full of gas.

That's why I'm camped out here like a guard dog.

The dudes story was just full of holes, says he'll be back in a couple hours "unless" he gets his call out and has to head south, "but" if that was to happen, they'd let him come home first to grab clothes.
He wasn't a good lier, I was just ready to tell him to FO when his wife called me with the please, please, please schit, she's at work at the hospital.

I let them wear me down and tossed him the keys to a little Chevy SUV I had sitting here.

He was no sooner gone and the wife calls me back, she's like 'I dunno how he's gonna get in the house if his keys are in his lunchbox two counties over', I ask, why's he gotta get in the house? She says he's gotta get his clothes.

He wasn't taking calls anymore, her's or mine and of course he never came back.

Prick was lying all along, I'm sure his car is somewhere close by and outta gas, he'd got his call-out to go south before he came to see me.

That's how ya burn bridges, they'll get nothing ever again.

Christ only knows where he's left the SUV or when he might get back from South Florida.

What a lying chkunt.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
One of my employees evacuated from the north end of Pine Island but only to the mainland (Cape Coral). He says they have power in the hotel but comms are sketchy. He had to call me several times to get a call to go through. Even though his house is pretty new and elevated he's wondering how it stood up as word was the surge submerged the entire island.

My parents in Sun City Center, 100 miles to the north, saw a peak gust of 45 mph on their weather station. They have no TV or internet but have power and no flooding (albeit they're 80' above MSL)
I know a bunch of people in Tampa and they’re fine.

I know a bunch of people in Orlando and they’re fine.

I know a bunch of people in Broward and Miami-Dade counties and they’re all fine.

I know people in North Port. They’re all fine.

I know a bunch of people in the Keys, they’re all fine.

I know one guy in Ft. Meyer. His place is fugked.

Get the idea?
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
I’m one of the lucky ones that had power thru the storm. Last night 96.5% of the Lee County residences where without power. I still have power this morning but no water early and just a trickle of water pressure now. No damage to my place other than one stuck security shutter.
I live in an area that was built with new codes and on the east side of 75. Areas that are going to have the most damage are in the A, B and C evac zones which are near waterways and areas on or near the shore.
Originally Posted by Pugs
One of my employees evacuated from the north end of Pine Island but only to the mainland (Cape Coral). He says they have power in the hotel but comms are sketchy. He had to call me several times to get a call to go through. Even though his house is pretty new and elevated he's wondering how it stood up as word was the surge submerged the entire island.

My parents in Sun City Center, 100 miles to the north, saw a peak gust of 45 mph on their weather station. They have no TV or internet but have power and no flooding (albeit they're 80' above MSL)

Pugs. Sorry to hear that report about Pine Island. Hope your friend's house hung in there. Pine Island is a beautiful spot.

Reports are out this morning of hundreds of people dead in Lee County. My brother, who was with Florida Power for 30 years, tells me that most people get killed after the storm, not during. Fox Business this morning had reports of people being out in the water getting zapped from downed power lines. Brother also said busted tree limbs still up in the trees are called widow-makers. Also said deaths are about 10-1, after storm vs. during storm.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22

At the risk of boring the crap out of people on this otherwise interesting thread, I’m just gonna briefly point out that “voodoo” is a West African word, from the language of the Ewe (“Eweh”) people, of present-day Ghana and Togo.

the tourists and migrants from there to French Haiti fine tuned the concept
At the risk of boring the crap out of people on this otherwise interesting thread,

Your specialty…
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
I have a good friend in Lake Placid. He hasn’t responded since 4:30 yesterday evening. I am worried about home and his family. Anyone here heard about the condition in that area? A lot of lakes, I’m assuming a lot of flooding.
For those not hearing from friends and loved ones in Florida.

Keep in mind, there are millions without power that are perfectly OK.

If I couldn't charge my cell phone I wouldn't waste my battery with non-emergency calls.

The power companies are telling people that this will require rebuilding their line and pole systems, they are not repairable.

Power outages will be for days and into possibly weeks.

Be patient, hope for the best, bad news has a tendency to travel faster than good news.
Originally Posted by Jahrs
I have a good friend in Lake Placid. He hasn’t responded since 4:30 yesterday evening. I am worried about home and his family. Anyone here heard about the condition in that area? A lot of lakes, I’m assuming a lot of flooding.

He'll be fine.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Horrible situation! I feel very badly, especially for all of the retirees that are not mobile!

I wonder when the FBI are going to arrest President Trump for creating Ian?

Prayers sent!

Probably passed out.
Orlando is a mess. Comms may be down in that area for quite some time.

They should get down on their knees and thank God they're not in Fort Myers Beach.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22

I know a bunch of people in Broward and Miami-Dade counties and they’re all fine.

Get the idea?

Did you talk to any of the dead people? Are they fine?
Based on satellite imagery and trajectory, I was pretty sure fairly early in the day Wednesday that the northernmost part of the hurricane system was going to skirt by south of my area, leaving us with few if any effects of it. Seemed an easy prediction based on available imagery at that time.

Whenever, while passing the area, I saw people down the street rushing to fill sandbags and haul them off to their homes, I'd let them in on the above, but while many agreed, they continued to fill bags.

We had a rather normal amount of rain, plus some colder and windier than normal weather. That's it. Deo Gratias.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
For those not hearing from friends and loved ones in Florida.

Keep in mind, there are millions without power that are perfectly OK.

If I couldn't charge my cell phone I wouldn't waste my battery with non-emergency calls.

The power companies are telling people that this will require rebuilding their line and pole systems, they are not repairable.

Power outages will be for days and into possibly weeks.

Be patient, hope for the best, bad news has a tendency to travel faster than good news.

When Katrina came through here we found lots of the cell towers were knocked down but we still had a land line so we could get out. Whenever my wife starts talking about getting rid of the land line, I remind her about Katrina.

Something a lot of folks don’t think about is that the gas stations may have gas in the ground but if there’s no power the pumps won’t work.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22

He'll be fine.

Thanks probably just cell towers down.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Lee County Sheriff is expecting the death toll to be in the hundreds.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
When Katrina came through here we found lots of the cell towers were knocked down but we still had a land line so we could get out. Whenever my wife starts talking about getting rid of the land line, I remind her about Katrina.

Something a lot of folks don’t think about is that the gas stations may have gas in the ground but if there’s no power the pumps won’t work.
Which is why the lines start forming at gas stations in Florida four or five days in advance of a hurricane. People want to keep their cars and pickups topped off in advance.

He'll be fine.

Thanks probably just cell towers down.

Jahrs, Lake Placid is just a bit north of me. Not west, which is good for your friend.
Posted By: greydog Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Daughter on the east coast (Palm Bay) reported a lot of rain but otherwise OK. They had put on their hurricane panels just in case. Granddaughter has gotten some time off school and is happy about that. GD
Posted By: Hemi Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22

Get the idea?

You know a bunch of people?
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/29/22
Finally heard that my wife's cousin is ok. After we talked last night no one heard a peep out of her.

Cell is crap around the port Charlotte area as can be imagined. Couple of hours ago she got a message to my father in law saying all is good. Generator is still running and she's just trying to clean their place up the best she can do. Her husband is stuck up here in MI, since I'm sure they aren't letting anyone back into the area.
👍
Posted By: MtnHiker Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
All is mostly good. Still in Sarasota. Just got cell. Still no internet at the house . Power only out 10 hours. Uncle still out of power took his freezer food yesterday to save it. Heavy rain and scary winds carrying debries. Saw a tree limb hit the flag pole across the street and snap it at the base. Not some flimsy diy pole either. We lowered the pool but it filled up to close to over flow and then the power went out so we ran a submerable pump off a genny to keep the pool down or it would have flooded into the house. Lots of down trees, pool screens, awning and windows blown. Big oaks down everwhere but all family properties good with just a few trees down and no building damage. Pretty wiped out been cleaning debries from sewers grates to clear and avoid flooding but rain never came after it passed so good luck up this way. Cell & text went off and on and now back on got a bunch of text and voicemails. My cousin in Ft Meyers works for a small tight-knit outfit and the bosses home is gone. They were rescued from the attic.

Without any internet, TV or cell until cell this AM we know little outside of our area. Prayers to those in areas sout of here.
Posted By: deflave Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
Originally Posted by MtnHiker
All is mostly good. Still in Sarasota. Just got cell. Still no internet at the house . Power only out 10 hours. Uncle still out of power took his freezer food yesterday to save it. Heavy rain and scary winds carrying debries. Saw a tree limb hit the flag pole across the street and snap it at the base. Not some flimsy diy pole either. We lowered the pool but it filled up to close to over flow and then the power went out so we ran a submerable pump off a genny to keep the pool down or it would have flooded into the house. Lots of down trees, pool screens, awning and windows blown. Big oaks down everwhere but all family properties good with just a few trees down and no building damage. Pretty wiped out been cleaning debries from sewers grates to clear and avoid flooding but rain never came after it passed so good luck up this way. Cell & text went off and on and now back on got a bunch of text and voicemails. My cousin in Ft Meyers works for a small tight-knit outfit and the bosses home is gone. They were rescued from the attic.

Without any internet, TV or cell until cell this AM we know little outside of our area. Prayers to those in areas sout of here.

Where does all the water go if you don’t have a pool?
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
Originally Posted by MtnHiker

Where does all the water go if you don’t have a pool?
Besides that you need that pool water to flush the toilets. Florida cistern.
And hopefully their internet starts working so they can get some info.
Posted By: Longbob Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
How were these two outside? Almost looks like they were blown from their garage or something.

[Linked Image from i.dailymail.co.uk]
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
My cousins lost their summer place on Sanibel. The death count is rising. So much for the Florida might just get some rain next week predictions..Here in Jax fortunately turned out to be just that, wind and rain. Jacksonville's always been fortunate...
Posted By: jeeper Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
Originally Posted by Longbob
How were these two outside? Almost looks like they were blown from their garage or something.

That is the power of water (storm surge) that did that IMHO.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
Originally Posted by Dutch

Get the idea?

If two million are without power, that’s only about 10% of the Florida population, but that’s still two million people without power.

Even two hundred dead would be insignificant on a scale of twenty-one million, but however many it is, as you point out, they’re still dead.
The vast majority of the state is perfectly fine.
Posted By: viking Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
Fuqk that place.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22

Floaters.

150mph isn't so likely to blow a heavier car over before it'd of blown all the glass outta the front of that house.

Code don't allow for the underside of stilt homes to be enclosed, water has to flow through. You'll see some ground level walls but they have to be 'break-away' so they'll shear away in high winds or if pushed by flowing water.

Had a friend damn near killed by one when it fell over as he attempted to leave his stilt home during a storm.

When I see these homes, like this one, that people have spent millions building, idunno why I've never seen one with a elevated garage or parking built in at the same level as the home.

You know what a PITA it is carrying all you groceries, every piece of furniture and all your appliances up a set of stairs?

Maybe 5 to 10% of the stilt homes in my area have elevators but few are capable of accommodating furniture or appliances, maybe 1 in 100.

Of course real people that build in heavily flood prone areas, such as myself, build as well as they can, as simple as they can.

A realistic 12 or 1400 sf home that you can afford to replace if destroyed.
I put more into the decks around my home to make up for needed square footage for entertainment purposes.

Maybe it's the same for guys that own homes and cars such as the one in this image, they just have lots fatter bank accounts than I do. But if that's the case, why didn't they include an elevated enclosed garage in the build!
Originally Posted by jeeper

That was my thought also when I saw all the sand and silt. The water is incredibly powerful. Nice pair of cars. Wonder if one or both is a Hemi or maybe 440s.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
They’ve got schools shut down and businesses closing up around here. Probably 150 miles from the coast.

🤪
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
Imagine what it would be like if that predicted 18' surge had actualized. Reporting indicates it was about half that.
Posted By: Docbill Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
If those Birds were original they are toast now. Submersoin in salt water will turn them into junk. What a loss!!
Originally Posted by Docbill
If those Birds were original they are toast now. Submersoin in salt water will turn them into junk. What a loss!!

Original they'll never be again, if I wanted to attempt a restoration I'd find me a fresh water lake or tank asap and submerge them until I was ready to strip them down to the frame and begin the restore.

Maybe my neighbor would let me borrow his swimming pool for a few weeks😉
Posted By: Geno67 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
Originally Posted by Docbill

Original they'll never be again, if I wanted to attempt a restoration I'd find me a fresh water lake or tank asap and submerge them until I was ready to strip them down to the frame and begin the restore.

Maybe my neighbor would let me borrow his swimming pool for a few weeks😉

Yep. Quite an undertaking but worth it in the long run if you're going to keep them. Resell value just went to crap if you're honest.

Get the idea?

No.

Have you?
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
But biden said there was terrible loss of life, to bad he wasn't there personally to confirm that. You know like out in the storm or talking to the dead.
Posted By: losttrail60 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
A guy has to be dumber then fugg to live in FL.
Posted By: BLG Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
Originally Posted by losttrail60
I guy has to be dumber then fugg to live in FL.

So what's your excuse?

Clyde
Posted By: Dutch Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22

And the vast majority of New Yorkers were fine after the WTC collapse. He’ll, the vast majority of people IN the towers during the attack were fine.

Quit digging, yuck-boy.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
Imagine what it would be like if that predicted 18' surge had actualized. Reporting indicates it was about half that.

A Corps of Engineer guy was interviewed this morning and said their sensor on the Caloosahatchee river went out at 16'. Just re-capping what he stated

And the vast majority of New Yorkers were fine after the WTC collapse. He’ll, the vast majority of people IN the towers during the attack were fine.

Quit digging, yuck-boy.

Now Hurricane Ian is on par with the 9/11 attacks.

LOL

Where do you fugking clams come from? Grow the fugk up.
Posted By: Raferman Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22

Quit digging, yuck-boy.
Joking right?
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
Oh Joy Oh Joy ...according to NHC Ian will come visit me tomorrow at 0800...come right over us....ain't I lucky?

That was my thought also when I saw all the sand and silt. The water is incredibly powerful. Nice pair of cars. Wonder if one or both is a Hemi or maybe 440s.

More to the story.

https://www.carvibz.com/muscle-cars...cane-ian-1969-dodge-charger-daytona-too/

[Linked Image from carvibz.com]
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
Originally Posted by fgold767
Oh Joy Oh Joy ...according to NHC Ian will come visit me tomorrow at 0800...come right over us....ain't I lucky?

Hell, it looks like it's pouring rain right now there.

It'll be with us for the next 3 days. It's gonna screw up my range time.

More to the story.

https://www.carvibz.com/muscle-cars...cane-ian-1969-dodge-charger-daytona-too/

[Linked Image from carvibz.com]

That is flat fugking awful but thank you for posting.

Strong attempt at a sentence.

Maybe give 'er another go tomorrow.

LOL
Posted By: losttrail60 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22

LOL

Coming from the dumb fugg living in Florida. TFF!
Posted By: Raferman Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22

LOL

Says the dumb fugg living in Florida. TFF!
Calnum changed her handle.

LOL

Coming from the dumb fugg living in Florida. TFF!

calls4cum is scared tah deaf o' da' bleck man.

LOL

Well, since he's gotta nother pair i'll cancel the gofundme check I sent.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22

Well, since he's gotta nother pair i'll cancel the gofundme check I sent.

LOL...

Glad you are OK Jeff...
LOL...

Glad you are OK Jeff...

Thanks, sometimes we get lucky.

Just rolled the first Motorhome back out to the islands and it's a drop dead gorgeous day.

All is well.
LOL...

Glad you are OK Jeff...

Thanks, sometimes we get lucky.

Just rolled the first Motorhome back out to the islands and it's a drop dead gorgeous day.

All is well.

Nice.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
Forgive my ignorance, . . .but . . .

BUT

One pic I saw had all of these damaged planes (spam cans to jets), As mobile as they are, what were they doing in the storm area?

Yes, serious question!
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22
Worth more as a hurricane claim than sold? Easier to do too.
Originally Posted by LouisB

BUT

One pic I saw had all of these damaged planes (spam cans to jets), As mobile as they are, what were they doing in the storm area?

Yes, serious question!

They were left sitting because the owner decided to leave them sitting.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Major hurricane Ian - 09/30/22

BUT

Yes, serious question!

They were left sitting because the owner decided to leave them sitting.

Cha-ching
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Cha-ching

That's an idiotic assumption.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Major hurricane Ian - 10/01/22
Got a brother with a condo 10 miles south of Fort Myers Beach—his condo survived but his wife’s car turned into a submarine—got the power back already.
Glad to hear Terry is OK, I know Punta Gordo got hit hard.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Major hurricane Ian - 10/01/22

BUT

Yes, serious question!
Likely not airworthy. There are plenty of broke down planes around every airport. Many could fly but lack an inspection so the pilot could lose his license if he flew it out of harms way. It takes time to get a ferry permit.
© 24hourcampfire