Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 81 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 80 81
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That's an easy way to dismiss whatever you don't agree with. Anyone can say it.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by IZH27
My question was really aimed at KRP and his claims of ascending/transcending.

No, you used the words transcend and ascend about yourself quoting one of my posts... here's what I said to you about transcending...

You don't transcend or become something different than you are, you already exist as body and spirit... you become aware. I see in others different levels of awareness and there's nothing wrong with that. I see in Christ a full awareness we will never experience in the body, understandably. When our physical body dies and we transcend and ascend to just our spiritual existence, that is severing the physical.

Kent

Gnostic Spiritualism?

Like for the 89th time I've heard that, some from you...

No

Kent

I don’t believe I’ve ever asked you that sir; I’m also not sure I have ever even engaged you directly.

Meant no offense simply attempting to understand where you’re coming from.

You suggest the physical is something to be overcome or escaped, so I asked if you if you represent a point of view.

What point of view DO you represent? Where have you gotten the ideas you’re putting forward?

I’m ignorant of them and their origins.

Again I meant no offense.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by krp

No, you used the words transcend and ascend about yourself quoting one of my posts... here's what I said to you about transcending...

You don't transcend or become something different than you are, you already exist as body and spirit... you become aware. I see in others different levels of awareness and there's nothing wrong with that. I see in Christ a full awareness we will never experience in the body, understandably. When our physical body dies and we transcend and ascend to just our spiritual existence, that is severing the physical.

Kent

I understood your statement to indicate spiritual transcendence through spiritual awareness, growth, connection, etc. I did not intentionally or unintentionally imply physical transcendence. Your statement certainly sounds like Spiritualism and the teachings of the spirit transcending the physical existence so that a person can interact with God on a different level. If I’m wrong so be it you have my apology but this is what I took from your statement.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Raspy
Originally Posted by antlers
My study of the Catholic faith states that the Catholic Church has never taught such a doctrine and, in fact, has constantly condemned the notion that men can earn or merit salvation. Catholic soteriology (salvation theology) is rooted in apostolic Tradition and Scripture and says that it is only by God’s grace—completely unmerited by works—that one is saved.
Read the rest of the article that you got the above quote from, and it’ll clearly describe “the second half of the justification equation” that Catholics claim that “Protestants either miss or ignore” ~ referring to “the necessity of grace and works”. The Council of Trent clearly affirmed that both faith and works were necessary for salvation.

https://www.catholic.com/qa/why-does-the-church-teach-that-works-can-obtain-salvation

Yes, you are correct....in James 2:24— it is about as plain as can be in telling us both that “faith alone” is insufficient for our justification, and that “works” are indeed necessary. Are we justified by faith? Certainly! By faith alone? No way! It’s both faith and works, according to Scripture.....seems I am always learning something new....thanks.

Is James referring to justification as that which replies to faith and salvation?
It’s quite apparent that he is not. He is very specifically talking about justification before men. That is the error of miss reading the book of James in regards to works.

Sorry, I cannot understand your reasoning....

Obedience to God is essentially requisite to maintain faith. Faith lives, under God, by works; and works have their being and excellence from faith. Neither can subsist without the other, and this is the point which St. James labors to prove, in order to convince the Antinomians of his time that their faith was a delusion, and that the hopes built on it must needs perish....

It is about context. When Paul talks about his accomplishments as a Pharisee, he was not justifying himself before God, he was justify himself before men showing who he was, and his faith. James is doing the same thing here. He is not talking about works justifying ourselves before God, but showing that we are faithful before men. Justification has always been through the blood of Christ through the promise and three belief.

The question I have to answer personally relates to what the cost for saving me was. That cost was Christ, living a perfect life, taking my son up on himself, as though he were sinful dying for me, and rising from the dead. If that is the cost for me to be saved, there is absolutely nothing that I can do to add to that cost improve upon it, enhance it in any way.

The work or works that we must remain in are faith in Christ. Resting in the promise. Resting and the reality. Just like Abraham, the father of our faith, rested in the promise at the messiah would come and do for us and in us what we were unable to do in and for ourselves.

If our works or what is used to keep us in the faith and grow us in the faith, please explain that in relation to the context of John 15, where Christ talks about the vine, and the branches and fruit. Please explain it in relation to hell. You’re a human actions can somehow improve upon or enhance the work that Christ did for us.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
That is a totally different thing than what Raspy is saying. Raspy is saying that there is justification in our works.

If there is justification in our works and that’s actually a Biblical doctor then raspy should be able to tell us what work he is doing to justify himself before God and help God save raspy.

Paul is very clear in the doctrine of imputation that we are justified solely through the work of Christ as it relates to salvation. Works have absolutely nothing to do with our justification before God for salvation. If I works do not save us there is certainly no way that they can’t keep us saved.

If works help save us then Raspy should well be able to tell us with clarity and specificity the works that he is doing to make himself more righteous and holy.

Totally different?

Sorry, but I agree with Antlers....>>>Some see that James’ position doesn’t refute the “faith alone” part of the equation at all. The “faith alone” part of the equation still stands, but only the kind of faith that eventually and inevitably produces good works. Good works are not the basis, or foundation, of salvation. Good works are the result of, the fruit of salvation. It isn’t good works that save or justify, they don’t qualify us to enter God’s presence. If people truly trust in Jesus, and put their confidence in Him, that trust and confidence shows up in how they live their lives.<<<

I would suggest studying John 15. Branches are grafted into the vine. Branches through their own work, do not produce fruit. Jesus very clearly says that fruit or Works are produced through abiding in him because he is the source of the life that flows through the branch.

As a branch grafted into the vine what are you doing to produce good works within yourself? If you’re doing good works to improve upon something that God did Christ himself sucked at the analogies that he used to describe what is happening in the believer.

Last edited by IZH27; 09/28/22.
IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Why can’t you live with the choice that believers make?

Isn't truth more important? Lots of people believe in lots of things that have no basis in reality - any other topic and they would be considered delusional.

I'm sure that for all other things in life you only believe them once you are convinced that they are true. Why the special concession for religion?

Why do you hold out special concession for science? If there is a God, he is far beyond our comprehension yet you demand Godby comprehended within the terms that you set.

We do not look in the face of God. God remains hidden in the metaphysical. Simple observation would demonstrate this to us yet you demand that God sent your definition, so that he can be explained, defined and categorized through physical means the parameters of which you set through scientific method. the logic of demanding a physical evidence for metaphysical being seems more than a bit silly.

But then there is a point in time and history when we do see God yet you deny that as a falsehood and narrative a conjuring a creation of men.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If Paul was wrong, we've got a problem.
That is a good start. The first thing that has to be done in solving a problem is realizing there is a problem.

If your good works or what is saving you what are you doing that is affecting that salvation personally?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Gnostic Spiritualism?

Maybe? I’m trying to figure it out.

Kent, no offense intended. I’ve studied the different religious movements in American Christianity for years. When I see something new or something that I don’t understand I ask questions.

Last edited by IZH27; 09/28/22.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Isn't truth more important? Lots of people believe in lots of things that have no basis in reality - any other topic and they would be considered delusional.

I'm sure that for all other things in life you only believe them once you are convinced that they are true. Why the special concession for religion?

Why do you hold out special concession for science? If there is a God, he is far beyond our comprehension yet you demand Godby comprehended within the terms that you set.

We do not look in the face of God. God remains hidden in the metaphysical. Simple observation would demonstrate this to us yet you demand that God sent your definition, so that he can be explained, defined and categorized through physical means the parameters of which you set through scientific method. the logic of demanding a physical evidence for metaphysical being seems more than a bit silly.

But then there is a point in time and history when we do see God yet you deny that as a falsehood and narrative a conjuring a creation of men.

Faith in The Science runs deep.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by efw

Faith in The Science runs deep.

Good point. Isn’t science and invention of man?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a good start. The first thing that has to be done in solving a problem is realizing there is a problem.
If your good works or what is saving you what are you doing that is affecting that salvation personally?
I don't understand your question. Maybe it has some typos or omissions? Please read it over.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Gnostic Spiritualism?

Like for the 89th time I've heard that, some from you...

No

Kent

I don’t believe I’ve ever asked you that sir; I’m also not sure I have ever even engaged you directly.

Meant no offense simply attempting to understand where you’re coming from.

You suggest the physical is something to be over come or escaped, so I asked if you if you represent a point of view.

What point of view DO you represent? Where have you gotten the ideas you’re putting forward?

I’m ignorant of them and their origins.

Again I meant no offense.

First off everyone of the main players in this thread have been participating in these discussions for years, back when Ken Howell was alive and Curdog used to post, RickD, many others not posting anymore. It's like we have met around a table every couple months, by this point I know where each of you are coming from on a particular point... so you comment to me across the table and claim it's the first time you engaged me... you have engaged me many times.

I don't have to rewrite the thousands of words I've written here every time someone writes a one sentence comment to me or misrepresents what I wrote. Like Curdog used to say, I wrote the black letters in my post. can't help it if someone reads the white in between.

Show me where I said... the physical is something to be over come or escaped

IZH27 addressed me on his inability to transcend and ascend spiritually after years of trying, I said you can't be a spiritual being until the physical is severed, death. This is in the context of my statement that Jesus was the only one who existed as 100% physical and 100% spiritual at the same time, with all the knowledge of both. I guess I should have just told him he was dumb for wasting his time like the christians here tell anyone they disagree with, instead of trying to help him understand why it was impossible.

Christ's life example is my theology, the Holy Spirit is my communication, mentor, lifeline to Christ and God, there is no physical path to spiritual salvation after death. Jesus's resurrection is real and the proof that physical death is not the end. In that context we cannot transcend or ascend until physical death. But we can have a personal relationship with Christ and God through the Holy Spirit while here.

I see the struggle of most recognizing the Holy Spirit in their life spiritually. They think it's from a suit and tie at a pulpit, a building, man words, tenets. They say they're 'filled' with the Holy Spirit but don't use it.

Our spirit here is very weak, dampened, the Holy Spirit can be very strong in us if we let it.

When we join together in the Holy Spirit it is amplified.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Muffin
To those that reject Paul, do you also reject Peter???
No.
Originally Posted by Muffin
Because Peter called Pauls' writings.. Scripture.
Kind of believe that might have been added in by who knows who.
The only change I'm aware of is that Luther added the word "alone" to Romans 3:28. He also moved some books to lower statuses.

Politics is War by Other Means
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Human minds, human thoughts, human beliefs. From this thing we call "God," we hear nothing.

Which is not to say that some may genuinely feel they are in a relationship with God and that God communicates with them.

You offer us nothing other than human thought in your arguments. Then you demand material evidence in the presence of material evidence and extend that demand by expecting material evidence for anything metaphysical.

I get that. You don’t believe. You deny the evidence offered to you yet demand more. I believe that most here can live with your choice. Why can’t you live with the choice that believers make?

Everything that exists in the physical universe, by definition, has physical properties that can be detected.

Human minds may postulate or hypothesis this or that particle or interpretation of QM, but our hypothesis and postulations are not established facts.

God is posulated and believed in on the basis of faith, not physical properties that we can detect.

So what we have is people speaking on behalf of the God they believe in, not something that can be detected, examined or tested.

God, if such a thing exists, does not reveal Its existence or communicate with us openly and directly.

So we are left with what people believe and what they tell us about God.

Directly and openly from God, nothing.

Nope, you are still wrong.

Proverbs 18:2…

“ A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.”

Apparently blind and deaf by your own choice.

That's not a rational argument. It is your opinion as a believer expressing your means of dismissing the truth. Which is that God is a human concept, a belief that's held on faith, neither testable or falsifiable.

If God did appear objectively and openly for all to see and hear, there would be no dispute.

Given an objective experience of God, we would all be theists.

It is not rational nor logical that you would make …..what you seem to consider a statement of fact or truth….. that God does not communicate directly and openly. You may not see or hear God, but it is just plain ignorant to state that others do not.

You are simply expressing you own opinion which apparently reflects your own experience.

You are are also wrong about “we would all be theists” given an “objective experience of God.”

There were many that walked and talked with Jesus….. witnessed His miracles…. yet turned their backs.

God did “appear objectively and openly….” He let’s His presence be known in at least three ways…..the majesty of Creation…. The Word of God in the Bible and through the conviction and witness of the Holy Spirit.

Seek…find…….don’t seek, don’t find.

Last edited by TF49; 09/28/22.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That is a totally different thing than what Raspy is saying. Raspy is saying that there is justification in our works.

If there is justification in our works and that’s actually a Biblical doctor then raspy should be able to tell us what work he is doing to justify himself before God and help God save raspy.

Paul is very clear in the doctrine of imputation that we are justified solely through the work of Christ as it relates to salvation. Works have absolutely nothing to do with our justification before God for salvation. If I works do not save us there is certainly no way that they can’t keep us saved.

If works help save us then Raspy should well be able to tell us with clarity and specificity the works that he is doing to make himself more righteous and holy.

Totally different?

Sorry, but I agree with Antlers....>>>Some see that James’ position doesn’t refute the “faith alone” part of the equation at all. The “faith alone” part of the equation still stands, but only the kind of faith that eventually and inevitably produces good works. Good works are not the basis, or foundation, of salvation. Good works are the result of, the fruit of salvation. It isn’t good works that save or justify, they don’t qualify us to enter God’s presence. If people truly trust in Jesus, and put their confidence in Him, that trust and confidence shows up in how they live their lives.<<<

I would suggest studying John 15. Branches are grafted into the vine. Branches through their own work, do not produce fruit. Jesus very clearly says that fruit or Works are produced through abiding in him because he is the source of the life that flows through the branch.

As a branch grafted into the vine what are you doing to produce good works within yourself? If you’re doing good works to improve upon something that God did Christ himself sucked at the analogies that he used to describe what is happening in the believer.

I see....you have your opinion, others have their opinion, and I have mine....

Illegitimi non carborundum

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

Totally different?

I see....you have your opinion, others have their opinion, and I have mine....
Fair enough. I accept that, and have no problem with it. However, if someone makes a statement, I certainly expect them to be able to give a sense of what they’re saying so that I can understand where they’re coming from. Intern, if I make a statement, I expect the same of myself to be able to give us a sense of what I believe.

if I’m not misunderstanding, you very much believe that your works somehow enhance what God has done in your life to save you as though you’re helping him accomplish what it is that he has done. I definitely without doubt used to think that way myself. However, the reality of my own capability overwhelms me and that View left me empty. if indeed, you are contributing to your salvation, it should be very easy to enumerate those things that you are in deed contributing

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I don't understand your question. Maybe it has some typos or omissions? Please read it over.

I apologize. I do a lot of voice to text and sometimes that gets scrambled up and I don’t always proofread as well as I should.

If I understand your view properly, you look at Jesus instructions on keeping the law as a means of salvation. It seems also that you hold the view the Old Testament taught a law based salvation.

I grew up in legalism, which had a very strong emphasis on what we do influencing impacting determining the effectiveness of our faith effective.

The question I’m trying to ask is what measurement are you using to determine the effectiveness of the works and obedience necessary to keep the law and be saved?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by krp
Show me where I said... the physical is something to be over come or escaped

IZH27 addressed me on his inability to transcend and ascend spiritually after years of trying, I said you can't be a spiritual being until the physical is severed, death. This is in the context of my statement that Jesus was the only one who existed as 100% physical and 100% spiritual at the same time, with all the knowledge of both. I guess I should have just told him he was dumb for wasting his time like the christians here tell anyone they disagree with, instead of trying to help him understand why it was impossible.

Christ's life example is my theology, the Holy Spirit is my communication, mentor, lifeline to Christ and God, there is no physical path to spiritual salvation after death. Jesus's resurrection is real and the proof that physical death is not the end. In that context we cannot transcend or ascend until physical death. But we can have a personal relationship with Christ and God through the Holy Spirit while here.

I see the struggle of most recognizing the Holy Spirit in their life spiritually. They think it's from a suit and tie at a pulpit, a building, man words, tenets. They say they're 'filled' with the Holy Spirit but don't use it.

I misunderstood the meaning of your comment, “ When our physical body dies and we transcend and ascend to just our spiritual existence, that is severing the physical.”

My experience in these threads is that we often use identical terms and phrases to mean vastly different things due to differing points of view. It is difficult to understand one another.

Sounds like you may have me pegged but I don’t understand your point of view.

Wish you and everyone here grace & peace.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I apologize. I do a lot of voice to text and sometimes that gets scrambled up and I don’t always proofread as well as I should.

If I understand your view properly, you look at Jesus instructions on keeping the law as a means of salvation. It seems also that you hold the view the Old Testament taught a law based salvation.

I grew up in legalism, which had a very strong emphasis on what we do influencing impacting determining the effectiveness of our faith effective.

The question I’m trying to ask is what measurement are you using to determine the effectiveness of the works and obedience necessary to keep the law and be saved?
I've admitted to God I have been a bad person, apologized, repented and now trying to love God and treat others as I would expect to be treated. I have deduced that the big 10 are still in force and while some of the more arcane regulations back in Deuteronomy and Leviticus may have only pertained to Israel during their sojourn there are some very important to the social harmony and good health. Such as the condemnation of sexual deviancy and the consumption of things such as reptiles and hogs. So I'm trying to live out my life in kindness as far as reasonably possible and avoiding the nasty foods prohibited and reemphasized in even Isaiah 66. It does seem particularly offensive to be consuming swine and rodents.

As to the swine and shellfish and reptiles (especially alligators) their diets and implications in human disease transmission illustrate the Mosaic laws and just like the big 10 are for the benefit of mankind not God.

I have both wild hogs and alligators on my property and they will eat things a buzzard won't eat. I understand hogs are raised in captivity and fed a restricted diet but they are swine and a lot of people (my wife included) are allergic to them and they play a big part in transforming viruses into human pathogens.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Here's the thing - science is demonstably true, no faith needed. Ignorance or arrogance may well prevent you from admitting that. We never prayed the internet into existence.

Believing anything that has no proof or basis in reality seems more than a bit silly.

Documentation of seeing god 2000 years ago is about as reliable as that for seeing Spiderman in the 20th century, although we do have photos and videos of the latter.

Metaphysical and supernatural are just easy-out excuses used by the impatient, ignorant people. How much of that magic stuff has evaporated since we've learned more throughout the ages?

Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Page 29 of 81 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 80 81

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 8 invisible), 1,296 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,224
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.