Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 81 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 80 81
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
I began with the assumption that Paul was valid and the real deal….
After I read from other sources that there was quite a controversy over Paul in the early church (prior to his trip to Rome) and read the history of Christianity being spread by terror and force (the catholics and even the Calvinists, Lutherans, etc) I began to wonder. So no, I didn't come in thinking Paul was a fraud.
Nobody said you ‘came in’ thinking Paul was a fraud. But by your own words above, you clearly were later influenced by these “other sources” and ‘then’ you began to doubt Paul’s validity. It certainly appears that you’d already decided that Paul was a fraud ‘before’ you arrived at the specific conclusions that you’ve drawn about Paul in regards to Revelation 2 and 2nd Timothy that you described earlier.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If Paul was wrong, we've got a problem.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by IZH27
Why can’t you live with the choice that believers make?

Isn't truth more important? Lots of people believe in lots of things that have no basis in reality - any other topic and they would be considered delusional.

I'm sure that for all other things in life you only believe them once you are convinced that they are true. Why the special concession for religion?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by wabigoon

We meaning you?

Have a chat to Antlers - never too late to see the light, although some never do I guess.

Wonder when god is going to commission that much needed bible update - I feel people are being directed to hell due to simple misunderstandings.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It’s also important to remember that the Ten Commandments were perfectly kept by Christ on our behalf because we remain incapable of keeping them.

I thought that he only mentioned 6, plus a new one.

What ever happened to the 600 other commandments?

Well?
IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
My question was really aimed at KRP and his claims of ascending/transcending.

No, you used the words transcend and ascend about yourself quoting one of my posts... here's what I said to you about transcending...

You don't transcend or become something different than you are, you already exist as body and spirit... you become aware. I see in others different levels of awareness and there's nothing wrong with that. I see in Christ a full awareness we will never experience in the body, understandably. When our physical body dies and we transcend and ascend to just our spiritual existence, that is severing the physical.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Totally different?

Sorry, but I agree with Antlers....>>>Some see that James’ position doesn’t refute the “faith alone” part of the equation at all. The “faith alone” part of the equation still stands, but only the kind of faith that eventually and inevitably produces good works. Good works are not the basis, or foundation, of salvation. Good works are the result of, the fruit of salvation. It isn’t good works that save or justify, they don’t qualify us to enter God’s presence. If people truly trust in Jesus, and put their confidence in Him, that trust and confidence shows up in how they live their lives.<<<
Now this makes sense. First comes the realization that you have been evil when you accept Jesus teachings on repentance. And you ask God's forgiveness and follow Jesus' instructions to the woman he saved from stoning, "go and sin no more". I know this won't go perfectly but your change will be very evident in your good works and good behavior.

I have a neighbor friend up at the farm who disliked me intensely, and I reciprocated. He will admit that he was a sorry rascal, stealing, drinking, and unfaithful to his wife. I have to admit I was more than unkind towards him. We both had things happen in our lives that lead us to the Lord and things at least became civil between us. Then we became allies in a legal case when a crazy man in the neighborhood became a serious danger to my family and his. And I mean serious, like with drunken rifle fire across our respective properties where he, his son's family, and his elderly mother all had houses on about 4 acres of land and business really picked up when I came onto our place. In short, I financed the lawsuit and it ended up with the sheriff coming out and killing the crazy. We are now the best of friends and I could call on him for anything.

Getting back to the good works being evidence of salvation. This man I'm talking about even though he is a skilled carpenter spent over 20 years of his life as a criminal, and an abusive husband, a person with a terrible attitude when drinking, was shot by his own brother in law with good cause to protect his family in a drunken incident. Now he is married to a very religious good woman, has a 13 year old well adjusted daughter and several grandchildren by his adult son that they spend a good bit of time with and bring to church where we all attend. In short he has become a man that anyone would be glad to have as a friend and neighbor. He now is an example of What Jesus advised "let your light shine before men that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven".

And we all know people who claim to have accepted Jesus and to live for the Lord with all evidence to the contrary.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
That is a good start. The first thing that has to be done in solving a problem is realizing there is a problem.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
To those that reject Paul, do you also reject Peter???

Because Peter called Pauls' writings.. Scripture.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Human minds, human thoughts, human beliefs. From this thing we call "God," we hear nothing.

Which is not to say that some may genuinely feel they are in a relationship with God and that God communicates with them.

You offer us nothing other than human thought in your arguments. Then you demand material evidence in the presence of material evidence and extend that demand by expecting material evidence for anything metaphysical.

I get that. You don’t believe. You deny the evidence offered to you yet demand more. I believe that most here can live with your choice. Why can’t you live with the choice that believers make?

Everything that exists in the physical universe, by definition, has physical properties that can be detected.

Human minds may postulate or hypothesis this or that particle or interpretation of QM, but our hypothesis and postulations are not established facts.

God is postulated and believed in on the basis of faith, not physical properties that we can detect.

So what we have is people speaking on behalf of the God they believe in, not something that can be detected, examined or tested.

God, if such a thing exists, does not reveal Its existence or communicate with us openly and directly.

So we are left with what people believe and what they tell us about God.

Directly and openly from God, nothing.

Last edited by DBT; 09/28/22.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Human minds, human thoughts, human beliefs. From this thing we call "God," we hear nothing.

Which is not to say that some may genuinely feel they are in a relationship with God and that God communicates with them.

You offer us nothing other than human thought in your arguments. Then you demand material evidence in the presence of material evidence and extend that demand by expecting material evidence for anything metaphysical.

I get that. You don’t believe. You deny the evidence offered to you yet demand more. I believe that most here can live with your choice. Why can’t you live with the choice that believers make?

Everything that exists in the physical universe, by definition, has physical properties that can be detected.

Human minds may postulate or hypothesis this or that particle or interpretation of QM, but our hypothesis and postulations are not established facts.

God is posulated and believed in on the basis of faith, not physical properties that we can detect.

So what we have is people speaking on behalf of the God they believe in, not something that can be detected, examined or tested.

God, if such a thing exists, does not reveal Its existence or communicate with us openly and directly.

Nope, you are still wrong.

Proverbs 18:2…

“ A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.”

Apparently blind and deaf by your own choice.

Last edited by TF49; 09/27/22.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Muffin
No.
Kind of believe that might have been added in by who knows who.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
No.

Then how do you trust any of IT????

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by krp

No, you used the words transcend and ascend about yourself quoting one of my posts... here's what I said to you about transcending...

You don't transcend or become something different than you are, you already exist as body and spirit... you become aware. I see in others different levels of awareness and there's nothing wrong with that. I see in Christ a full awareness we will never experience in the body, understandably. When our physical body dies and we transcend and ascend to just our spiritual existence, that is severing the physical.

Kent

Gnostic Spiritualism?

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
No.

Doesn’t this make you the arbiter of what is true, thereby negating the idea of special revelation?

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Gnostic Spiritualism?

Like for the 89th time I've heard that, some from you...

No

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
No.
Doesn’t this make you the arbiter of what is true, thereby negating the idea of special revelation?
Maybe, if something is out in left field I disregard it.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Gnostic Spiritualism?

Maybe you were asking IZH27 if he was gnostic, since he tried to transcend and ascend while still physically living.

I've never said weird chit like that...

Kent

I’m aware of this view and would say that I travelled a good way down that path. The problem that I found was no matter how hard I tried to transcend or ascend I couldn’t. I could find no objective measure to indicate that my efforts were successful.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

God is posulated and believed in on the basis of faith, not physical properties that we can detect.

Nope, you are still wrong.

Proverbs 18:2…

“ A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.”

Apparently blind and deaf by your own choice.

That's not a rational argument. It is your opinion as a believer expressing your means of dismissing the truth. Which is that God is a human concept, a belief that's held on faith, neither testable or falsifiable.

If God did appear objectively and openly for all to see and hear, there would be no dispute.

Given an objective experience of God, we would all be theists.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Don't cast your perils before wine."

Page 28 of 81 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 80 81

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.