Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jkob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This is what you get when all he got is a shingle advertising gunsmithing and a garage with a vise and a 1/4 drill.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by Jkob; 10/28/07. Reason: Add on

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're missing the photo of the huge dent in your gunpart, due to you crushing the smiths head in with it!!!! I would be beyond PISSED!!! Ryan

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That looks like the work of a certain moderator on Accurate Reloading who shall remain nameless. I�ve seen an example of his drilling and tapping and it appeared to have been done with a hand held drill held in one hand and a beer in the other. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RickB, doesn't that AR moderator have a sig line that says something like "Band of Bubba's" ?

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That's the one! grin

IC B2

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
bummer, I'm not seeing the photo...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
bummer, I'm not seeing the photo...

Picture 4 holes on 1 axis, and then scattered in between those, another set of 4 on a completely different axis. It might be great for dealing with windage on fixed sights. I guess if you needed to come right, you could move the front or rear sight to the appropriate set of holes. I think the fellow would be better served using magnetic sights! grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jimmyd223
RickB, doesn't that AR moderator have a sig line that says something like "Band of Bubba's" ?

Yeah, he�s the head Bubba...and is also the same guy that takes in gunsmithing work but doesn�t have an FFL. smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RickB
Originally Posted by jimmyd223

Yeah, he’s the head Bubba...and is also the same guy that takes in gunsmithing work but doesn’t have an FFL. smile

One quick call the the BATFE will cure THAT....

Geez, jkob, it seems I'm not the only one who sees these kinds of nightmares..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
ahhh...now I can see the pics. dude.....

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
BATF will fix it IF he keeps receivers overnite. Otherwise all is legal. Trust me on this, I have the book and do what little I currently do this way.
As for the holes. I'd most certainly be pissed. There was no apparent attempt to true a line along the other holes axis and I even wonder if the holes run true at the center of the bore. How deep did he go? There's a minimal thickness whenever you drill into a barrel, esp. more so at the chamber. Get it checked first, and maybe get a lawyer if it's unsafe. If it's a common rifle, I'd maybe look into a used barrel.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
are those yellow marks the holes you are supposed to use. grin
If he did that to my rifle I would have to smash him. mad

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Don't judge a smith by the building, but that works just screams a lot of bad.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I thought my messed up stamping job was bad, dang that would make you sick....

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by corelokt
BATF will fix it IF he keeps receivers overnite. Otherwise all is legal.
That's correct, however the dude I'm referring to does keep them overnight, and that's the big legal no-no..
As for the holes. I'd most certainly be pissed. There was no apparent attempt to true a line along the other holes axis and I even wonder if the holes run true at the center of the bore. How deep did he go? There's a minimal thickness whenever you drill into a barrel, esp. more so at the chamber. Get it checked first, and maybe get a lawyer if it's unsafe. If it's a common rifle, I'd maybe look into a used barrel.
Can't tell exactly but it LOOKS like the top of a shotgun receiver... Possibly Remmie ...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by corelokt
BATF will fix it IF he keeps receivers overnite. Otherwise all is legal. Trust me on this, I have the book and do what little I currently do this way.

Not trying to steal the thread or start a legal argument, but that�s not 100% correct. I have an FFL and just recently had my inspection for the renewal of my license, and the inspecting agent went over ALL of this stuff with me just so he knew that I understood the laws. They even have a check sheet that you have to sign stating that you were informed and understood the laws and requirements explained to you by the agent.

Keeping the firearm overnight has to do with a licensee�s bound book entries. If I repair your gun on the spot and give it back to the same day I do not have to enter it in my bound book. Personally, I enter it anyway in those circumstances just because I�m a spooky old guy and want to stay off the ATF�s radar screen. smile If you are �engaged in the �business� and you receive weapons from out of state you are required to have an FFL.

The ATF (and the laws) use the term �occasionally� to distinguish a person who has a hobby from one who is engaging in the business. It�s pretty hard to call it a hobby when you are advertising with a web site, soliciting work on internet forums, receiving firearms from out of state, deducting tools, equipment and supplies on your tax returns, and charging for your work.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have seen work by top level gunmakers which had gone wrong. I have seen barrels in the scrap heap because the threads were cut wrong. Now, this certainly appears to be an attempt at drilling and tapping which spiralled out of control and worthy of some criticism but I have trouble feeling too smug because I've made some mistakes of my own in the last thirty years. I think I would have tried a different technique after the first hole though.
I like the way all these pro-gunners advocate a quick phone call to the BATF (the shooter's friend). Ratfinks 'R' US! GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Please do not post other members's private information.

Private info pulled per request.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by greydog
I have seen work by top level gunmakers which had gone wrong. I have seen barrels in the scrap heap because the threads were cut wrong. Now, this certainly appears to be an attempt at drilling and tapping which spiralled out of control and worthy of some criticism but I have trouble feeling too smug because I've made some mistakes of my own in the last thirty years. I think I would have tried a different technique after the first hole though.
I like the way all these pro-gunners advocate a quick phone call to the BATF (the shooter's friend). Ratfinks 'R' US! GD

The difference between a �professional� and an �amateur� is that the professional knows how to hide and/or fix his screw ups. smile

Jkob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't try to "hide" my mistakes, I do whatever I have to to make it right to the client.

By the way, that is a Remington 760 receiver with the original holes (in yellow) marked. I have no idea what the extra holes are there for.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,498 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.