-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The State Fair of Texas begins this weekend in Dallas at Fair Park which also has some of the best Art Deco architecture in America. Always a good time. Great food at the fair.

Very close to White Rock lake is the Dallas Arboretum. Considered to be the best park in the nation. And it is incredible; truly magnificent. Take the time to tour the sprawling DeGolyer house on the arboretum grounds - Spanish Colonial Revival architecture.

Don’t ask Dallasites about JFK, Dealy Plaza or the school book depository. Even though that was 60 years ago, we would just as soon pretend that didn’t happen.

If you have your gal with you and she likes to shop, Dallas is a great destination. NorthPark Center is the best place to shop. Huge Neiman-Marcus and Nordstrom’s in that mall; many high end smaller stores. If you have money to blow, head to Highland Park Village to shop.

If you like modern architecture, try the Nasher Sculpture Center downtown and then walk over to Klyde Warren Park which is built over a downtown highway.

If you want to see nature, go to the Trinity River Audubon Center. It is a massive urban forest near downtown.

Don’t waste your time at Southfork - it is nothing but a big white house that has been over-commercialized.

If you are going to drive between Dallas and San Antonio, avoid I-35 - way too much traffic and everyone drives like a madman. Much more pleasant alternative is to take 281 north out of San Antonio; at Hico, continue north on 220 toward Glen Rose; turns into hiway 67 before Glen Rose; stay on 67 into Dallas. Good scenery. Nice small towns with names such as Blanco, Lampasas and Marble Falls. Relaxed drive.

Downtown Glen Rose has some charm. West of Glen Rose is the Creation Evidence Museum (biblical account of creation) and Dinosaur Valley State Park which has some fossilized dinosaur footprints in the creekbed.

Should you choose to stay in San Antonio, take a day to go to Fredericksburg. Settled by German immigrants. Has a good WW II museum - the National Museum of the Pacific War / Admiral (Chester) Nimitz gallery. A few tasting rooms for wineries (Texas is the nation’s fourth-largest wine producing state). Some good German food.

Just east of Fredericksburg is the LBJ Ranch (President Lyndon Baines Johnson) operated by the National Park service. You can drive some of the property and might see some white tails. You can see some longhorn cattle. There is some decent history to learn about at the family house.

The town of Boerne is another good excursion not too far from San Antonio. Not a lot to do there, but it is a charming town to see. Your wife will like the shopping on S Main St, just north of River Rd.

Adjacent to the town of New Braunfels (on I-35 between San Antonio and Austin) is the tiny town of Gruene. Try to catch an evening music performance at Gruene Hall; some boot-scooting dancing. Eat at the Gristmill restaurant and sit outside overlooking the river.

In San Antonio, ride one of the boats in the river walk area. And walk a portion of the river walk. Nice place to chill sitting in an outdoor cafe and drinking a margarita - definitely enjoy some Mexican food.

Avoid Austin - too pretentious. Badly overcrowded highways; terrible traffic. And whatever you do, stay away from Waco and all of the Chip & Joanna Magnolia trap - nothing but a place to buy home decorating knick-knacks.

If you insist on the fastest drive between Dallas and San Antonio, consider spending the money to take the 130 toll road that bypasses Austin. Don’t be surprised to find yourself driving 100+ mph on this road.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
In San Antonio, there's a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse around the corner from the Alamo.....don't eat there! The Menger is good for a look or two, and of course the Alamo and all the tourist in short shorts and dresses is worth some time if you have it to spend looking things over.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
One thing about this place.....

You gotta pan a lot of sand to find any gold

These threads often take several different directions

True. And that can be good, and it can be bad too. Like any group of, say, a dozen guys sitting around a fire there is going to be more than one conversation going on. And unlike a group of a dozen sitting around a fire there's going to be some pretty serous disagreement going on. That's just how forums have evolved...and especially where free speech is embraced.

Hope you find the nuggets you seek, Ted. And have a good trip!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Defiantly get ahold of Mike "birdwatcher".

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wytex
Skip Dallas and go through Grapevine, hit the Chicken Express there. It is a fast food chain but dang good chicken.
Just about any other restaurant you might want in Grapevine also.

Not a fan of Chicken Express, but there's something for everyone in Grapevine. That's where I sit this very moment. LOTS of great places to eat!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Skip Dallas and go through Grapevine, hit the Chicken Express there. It is a fast food chain but dang good chicken.

Not a fan of Chicken Express, but there's something for everyone in Grapevine. That's where I sit this very moment. LOTS of great places to eat!

+1. Wouldn't go out of my way 1 block for ChickenfreakingExpress. Grapevine is great, especially that old downtown area.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by RiverRider

+1. Wouldn't go out of my way 1 block for ChickenfreakingExpress. Grapevine is great, especially that old downtown area.

Yep. Chicken Express sucks. If I was going to eat fast food fried chicken, I would hit Golden Chick. It is much better.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Nagle’s Gun Store used to be a really good shop. Haven’t been in there in a couple of years, though.

I was in Nagle’s last Saturday. They had a very small fraction of what they usually have.

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Stammster
Make sure you’re packin’, especially in San Antonio.

Good advice for any big Democrat run city in Texas (they're all run by Democrats).

Last edited by victoro; 09/29/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alamo of course. not a heckuvalot on the path home, and Dealey Plazia isnt really that danged interesting.

if you want to stop and have a distilled beverage near Denton, gimme a holler. smile

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Cowboys dancehall in both cities!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,516
Posts18,472,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.