Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
In a blow to the NRA, a Manhattan judge has given New York Attorney General Letitia James the green light to continue seeking two hefty penalties — an independent monitor who would oversee the gun lobby's finances, and millions in back-salary from CEO Wayne LaPierre.

The ruling from the bench by New York Supreme Court Justice Joel Cohen on Thursday allows the New York AG to pursue the financial monitor and significant cash penalties when her two-year-old lawsuit against the NRA eventually goes to trial.

Those salary-based penalties, if approved by a judge or jury, could add up to a small fortune.

LaPierre has made in excess of $1 million a year since 2014; he was under contract to earn $1.5 million for the years 2020 through 2025, according to court filings.

A trial date has yet to be set for the lawsuit, which accuses LaPierre and three other executives at the New York-chartered non-profit of lining their pockets with member donations.

LaPierre was reinstated as the NRA's executive vice president at the gun lobby's annual convention in Houston in May, despite the New York AG's allegations that he and his cronies used "millions upon millions" in NRA cash for private jet travel, Bahamas vacations, and pricey meals.

Lawyers for the NRA and for LaPierre had fought hard against the New York AG's proposed penalties in lengthy legal papers and in arguments before Cohen on Thursday.

The lawyers fought especially hard against the threat of a court-imposed financial monitor, something they derided as "a de facto takeover" in legal papers in June and as "dangerous," and "unconstitutional" in arguments before Cohen on Thursday.

"It's really just interference with his ability to do his job the way his members want him to do it, in the way his board wants him to do it," LaPierre attorney P. Kent Correll said.

In a moment of what might be called legal calisthenics, Correll went on to compare James' demands for an NRA monitorship to Alabama's assault on the NAACP in the 1950s.

"You have the attorney general of a state trying to interfere with the operation of a not-for-profit organization — that happened in the '50s," Correll told the judge.

"The attorney general of the state of Alabama wanted to do what he could to disrupt the NAACP" and demanded the group turn over its membership list as a condition of continuing to operate in Alabama, Correll said.

"It went to the Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court said, 'No, you can't do that. You can't interfere with an organization like this because they're engaged in free speech.'"

The judge countered that in a hypothetical case where a non-profit had been looted by its executives, a court would need to be able to do more than just "hope for the best with the next person."

He also disagreed with the NRA's claim that a monitorship is off the table because it is not mentioned by name in New York's Estate, Powers, and Trusts Law.

The NRA is attempting to read the law "so narrowly" that no attorney general would ever be able to monitor "how funds are used by an organization such as this," the judge said.

The judge also said it was premature to assess the appropriateness of a monitor, or of financial penalties, or of any other possible remedies, "without knowing what the fact findings are that give rise to the remedy."

As for next steps in the massive case, lawyers for the New York AG said they may request one last round of depositions based on recently submitted discovery from the NRA's side.

"I'd like to set a trial date as soon as I can, subject to one party or another winning on summary judgment," Cohen said.

"Everybody's been working very hard," he added. "My understanding was that things were near the end, which it sounds like is true."

https://www.businessinsider.com/nra-wayne-lapierre-letitia-james-ny-gun-control-court-ruling-2022-9

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aren't you a Biden voter?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Yep.

Tom's hero is in the White House now. He also never misses a chance to post stories about how happy he is about gun control.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Yep.

Tom's hero is in the White House now. He also never misses a chance to post stories about how happy he is about gun control.

I wonder who he hates more.... DJT, or WLP?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Boy....it'd be a horse apiece!

I am MAGA.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
OP is a 100% retard. Voted for Biden and was so proud of it that he announced it here to all of us. I can’t think of a dumber member, maybe sicamoor though.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Instead of bashing the OP, maybe it is time to support reform of the NRA and remove WLP so the organization can get on with the business it was founded to do.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rflshtr
Instead of bashing the OP, maybe it is time to support reform of the NRA and remove WLP so the organization can get on with the business it was founded to do.
We can easily support reform for the nra AND bash a Biden voting fool at the same time, OK?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
We can easily support reform for the nra AND bash a Biden voting fool at the same time, OK?

Sounds reasonable.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I've made it very clear that they won't get another dime from me as long as WLP is there.

OP is still a Biden voter though. sick

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Is there any poster here who thinks WLP and the current leadership of the NRA are good for the fight against gun banning? I certainly don't.

The OP posted what seems to be a legitimate news story, without comment or expansion.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Is there any poster here who thinks WLP and the current leadership of the NRA are good for the fight against gun banning? I certainly don't.

The OP posted what seems to be a legitimate news story, without comment or expansion.

OP is a Biden voting Fudd.

It ain't the message, it's the messenger.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

OP is a Biden voting Fudd.

It ain't the message, it's the messenger.

Same here won't even "round up".

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Cant fix stupid.One out of three biden voters are just as stupid as the other two.

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What does the messenger have to do with the message? Would you tear up a huge check you got in the mail because you dislike the Post Office?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

The NRA has rigged the elections so there is no way to remove Wayne. I stopped giving the NRA money and switched to GOA like many others here.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Likely gonna get tossed by the Supremes.

And Wayne will continue to do things as they have been done.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Yep.

Another fresh turd.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

He is!

Originally Posted by gahuntertom
I am a 75 year old life long Republican. Last week I early voted for Biden, sometime when you hire some one they don't work out, that's the way I look at Trump.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

A Bigger Kingpin is The Derby Donkey named Mitch ..

WLP pales to the Manchurian Donkey ..

Pick your Enemies by their Effects

WLP is a Madoff

The Donkey is a Direct Threat to “ We the People”

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 67 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,303
Posts18,487,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.