Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have an unfired flatbolt in 308. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
A new one for me that I fine tuned: Painted the factory stock and installed a red pachmayr, as well as worked the trigger down to a crisp clean safe 2.5 pounds. This rifle was made for one year (2004).

300RSAUM:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shooting some 165 TTSX:
Avg velocity of that load is 3,031 fps. Not too bad for a 22" barreled little short mag. Here's a couple groups I shot at 400 yards, when I was messing around with load development:

I'm really liking this rifle. Its one of my favorite purchases in the last few months. I like it more than a couple Winchester model 70 rifles I recently purchased. Its just a nice light rifle in a very useable package. Really hard not to like something like that. The performance level is also very surprising to me, as it is a puzzy cat to shoot but keeps up with my 300WSM's and other bigger 30 cal magnums. This is the kind of rifle that a guy could hunt the rest of his life with and have no regrets..
Originally Posted by DrDeath
Did Ruger ever make a M77 in a bull barrel? Over 22 inches?

I love this very informative thread.

I could get behind a little 300 like that.

I need to get behind it more and do a little more testing Scotty. That damn lightweight 300wby gives me a headache!!! ha ha.. What I was thinking about the other day is I'm slinging 178's and 175's in the WBY at roughly 3,200 fps and this little cute 300RSAUM is flinging the 165's at 3,030 fps avg.. That's not really a bunch of performance lost, but in a smaller package. I'm not going to say lighter because I think both of my 300wby's weighs about the same with the same/similar scope. But this Ruger doesn't rattle the noggin as much. Great little rifle. Too bad they didn't make more!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've had about 5 total, all in Mark ll's. I'm down to one now. It started life as a .280 Rem, barrel was junk, by the time I got it to shoot the way I wanted I could have bought 2 Remington's, but loved the wood stock so couldn't send it down the road.

They are basically a hunting rifle and that's it. I'm pretty sure no one has won a bench rest match with one, and I don't think anyone has won at Camp Perry with one. I've heard Jack Hill (Sierra bullet guy, one of the J's in J4 bullet jackets) that Bill Ruger gave John Buhmiller a 77 action and told him to build a shooter on it. Later Buhmiller gave it back to Ruger and told him that you have to start with something first.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim270
I've had about 5 total, all in Mark ll's. I'm down to one now. It started life as a .280 Rem, barrel was junk, by the time I got it to shoot the way I wanted I could have bought 2 Remington's, but loved the wood stock so couldn't send it down the road.

They are basically a hunting rifle and that's it. I'm pretty sure no one has won a bench rest match with one, and I don't think anyone has won at Camp Perry with one. I've heard Jack Hill (Sierra bullet guy, one of the J's in J4 bullet jackets) that Bill Ruger gave John Buhmiller a 77 action and told him to build a shooter on it. Later Buhmiller gave it back to Ruger and told him that you have to start with something first.

No one said they were a benchrest or camp perry rifle. They do shoot well enough for what they are: A hunting rifle. Like a good Winchester model 70. They are hunting rifles and serve you very well. To get them to shoot acceptably well, you have to be willing to tinker a bit and be knowledgeable of the system. They can be fine tuned very well and most have great barrels, so you can wring them out quite a bit. I've had many that shot 1/2" or better groups, but after many trick moves and that was with factory barrels. If the idiot that you speak of couldn't get a Ruger m77 to shoot well, that is on his incompetence. Not the rifles. Just fu cking saying..

I used this 338wm for years. It was my "go to" for elk hunting. Not just because it shot so well. It was extremely dependable. There is a reason someone started this thread, titled "Ruger M77's". Some guys actually like them and appreciate them for what they are. Some guys cry and make excuses for what they are not or what they can't make them..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hawkeye 223. Bedded it an stuck a spec-tec trigger in it. Fun little rifle

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by mud_bogger; 09/30/22.
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
bsa1917hunter, Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, but your statement the 77 like the Winchester 70 is a good hunting rifle and that's all. I'm pretty sure that David Tubb won Perry a few times with a Winchester 70. I'm pretty much down to one hunting rifle now and it's the above 77, so if I came across as bashing the 77, that was not my intent.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
Hawkeye 223. Bedded it an stuck a spec-tec trigger in it. Fun little rifle

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sometimes I miss my Hawkeye 223 rem. That rifle never disappointed.

That SOB was a shooter. Even my heavy barreled M77 MK2 Varmint/target 223 had a hard time keeping up with that one.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa1917hunter, Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, but your statement the 77 like the Winchester 70 is a good hunting rifle and that's all. I'm pretty sure that David Tubb won Perry a few times with a Winchester 70. I'm pretty much down to one hunting rifle now and it's the above 77, so if I came across as bashing the 77, that was not my intent.

No problem. One thing the 77 can handle is a little bashing. I've always said they are a diamond in the rough. Some guys don't like them because of that. Others can fine tune them and make them a bit more. All my Rugers function more like a well oiled machine or Model 70 esque, but the Ruger is what it is: A mass produced cast investment Receiver, which some do not like. They are very robust though in my experience. When most of us are searching for a really accurate rifle, the Ruger m77 is generally not what we think of. Some I've had were tack drivers, but it took a lot of work. I take them for what they are though, and I'm willing to make them better...

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Mine needed bedded before I was happy with it. That stock just feels like it was made for me.

Been a while since I hunted with it. Might need to shoot a buck with it this year

Last edited by mud_bogger; 09/30/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
Mine needed bedded before I was happy with it. That stock just feels like it was made for me.

That is one thing that really helps a Ruger 77..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ignore the village idiot..

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
That’s a nice 223 hawkeye.

I also like the heavy barrel with sights M77 Hawkeye African in 223. As well as the RSI in 223.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SLM

You are awfully jealous aren't you and a piece of schit (POS). Why don't you go back to cooking your crack. You add nothing to any thread here. You shoot rocks and drugs..

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You are awfully jealous aren't you and a piece of schit (POS). Why don't you go back to cooking your crack. You add nothing to any thread here. You shoot rocks and drugs..

What the hell is the matter with you?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I've had at least 20 Rugers - tang safeties, MKII's and Hawkeye's. For sure they are hit and miss accuracy-wise (especially the tangers), but they are good, basic hunting rifles. Really, the MKII and Hawkeye are among the simplest, most reliable hard-condition actions ever made. If I lived in the bush and had to put meat on the table in awful conditions the MKII action would be right at the top of my list, followed by the M70. The biggest gripe I have with them is the roughness and clunkiness of the cast action. But that's just a minor nit-pick. We're talking here about hunting rifles, not match rifles. Any smith worth his salt can screw on a barrel and get a Ruger action shooting. One of the most accurate rifles I've ever used was an early Stainless MKII (before they made it CRF). In the 90's a friend had Mark Brown turn one it into a 257 WBY. That thing shot the original 100 grain Barnes X's into the .3's, and the original Barnes X was about the worst shooting bullet around!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Lol if Ruger doesn't give a damn about making their rifles accurate, I sure as hell am not going to spend a bunch of time and money on it either.

Not when I can buy any of twenty other brands and slap a scope on them and go sub moa.

But I do appreciate the looks and design and classic lines of Ruger 77s. Too bad they always disappointed me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Lol if Ruger doesn't give a damn about making their rifles accurate, I sure as hell am not going to spend a bunch of time and money on it either.

Not when I can buy any of twenty other brands and slap a scope on them and go sub moa.

But I do appreciate the looks and design and classic lines of Ruger 77s. Too bad they always disappointed me.

The MKII's I had were consistently better shooters than the tang safety M77's. Some were quite accurate I'd not hesitate to pick up a MKII or Hawkeye and expect to get reasonable accuracy out of it.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Jealous of an insecure blow hard? That’s funny.

Find any of those pics yet?

Originally Posted by SLM

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

The MKII's I had were consistently better shooters than the tang safety M77's. Some were quite accurate I'd not hesitate to pick up a MKII or Hawkeye and expect to get reasonable accuracy out of it.

Fair enough. I have not tried the Hawkeyes. The mkII's I went oh for three and quit.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I like my handful of Rugers.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

250 Savage

Pretty good hunting rifles

Last edited by beretzs; 10/01/22.

Semper Fi
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

371 members (1eyedmule, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 35 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,117
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.