Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by beretzs
I like my handful of Rugers.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

250 Savage

Pretty good hunting rifles

That’s a nice shooting rifle. What stock is that? I like the M77’s with sights.

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Lol if Ruger doesn't give a damn about making their rifles accurate, I sure as hell am not going to spend a bunch of time and money on it either.

Not when I can buy any of twenty other brands and slap a scope on them and go sub moa.

But I do appreciate the looks and design and classic lines of Ruger 77s. Too bad they always disappointed me.

Ruger M77 tang safety

Mule Deer:
" I've owned a pile of 77's of all eras. While one barrel truly sucked (a 7x57 with a bore that had numerous loose spots, with the tight spots measuring .287), all the others shot anywhere from acceptably to very well. My acceptable rating is three shots in an inch for big game rifles, and five shots in an inch for varmint rifles, and very well is half that. Most of them required some work on the bedding and trigger, but then a lot of factory rifles do."
"My experience has been that bad barrels on tang-safety Rugers were extremely rare, and were scattered randomly throughout the years."

Boxer - Big Stick:
"I've Ruger familiarity and accept them for what they are. Light or bullet proof they are not, though curiously enough they are oft maligned by the masses for "accuracy" woe which I've yet to see, though of course I shoot a bit, which tend to tip numerous scales."

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The MKII's I had were consistently better shooters than the tang safety M77's.

A while back a friend of mine picked up a lightly used MkII in 308 Winchester. The trigger pull was actually pretty nice, but I don't know if the original owner had worked on it. I provided a loaner scope for my friend and proceeded to mount it up. Well, let's just say it took quite a bit of elbow grease to lap those ring holes into alignment. Once done the scope tracked just fine and the rifle turned out to be a good shooter. The barrel didn't foul and didn't need babying to keep shooting.

I wish one of us still had it. We both went through a lean patch, and he sold it when I didn't have the loose change to take it on myself.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by roundoak
Lol if Ruger doesn't give a damn about making their rifles accurate, I sure as hell am not going to spend a bunch of time and money on it either.

Not when I can buy any of twenty other brands and slap a scope on them and go sub moa.

But I do appreciate the looks and design and classic lines of Ruger 77s. Too bad they always disappointed me.

Ruger M77 tang safety

Mule Deer:
" I've owned a pile of 77's of all eras. While one barrel truly sucked (a 7x57 with a bore that had numerous loose spots, with the tight spots measuring .287), all the others shot anywhere from acceptably to very well. My acceptable rating is three shots in an inch for big game rifles, and five shots in an inch for varmint rifles, and very well is half that. Most of them required some work on the bedding and trigger, but then a lot of factory rifles do."
"My experience has been that bad barrels on tang-safety Rugers were extremely rare, and were scattered randomly throughout the years."

Boxer - Big Stick:
"I've Ruger familiarity and accept them for what they are. Light or bullet proof they are not, though curiously enough they are oft maligned by the masses for "accuracy" woe which I've yet to see, though of course I shoot a bit, which tend to tip numerous scales."

And both of their opinions are worth what you paid for them. It does not change the fact that I had several which were very inaccurate.

Which brings me to wonder why you think you need to tell me their opinion, as if they might reward you or it might change the reality I experienced?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DrDeath
Ruger changed their safetys from the original model 77’s with a Tang safety to the later years with a three position rear bolt safety. The actions look basically the same (not sure ). So were there any issues with the tang safetys that Ruger switched? Or are both types GTG?

I had a tang safety .30-06 , a "round top" with iron sights. I only had one problem with it. The safety made a bit of noise when it was taken off, even if I kept pressure on it like I do with my Model 70's.

I finally cut 1/2 a coil off the spring. It helped but didn't cure it. I did like the adjustable trigger.

It wasn't quite as accurate as my .223 All Weather UL and my GSR but good enough.

I sold it to my brother-in-law to buy a pre-war M70. He was still using it when he died a couple of years ago.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ruger M77 tang safety

Mule Deer:

Boxer - Big Stick:

And both of their opinions are worth what you paid for them. It does not change the fact that I had several which were very inaccurate.

Which brings me to wonder why you think you need to tell me their opinion, as if they might reward you or it might change the reality I experienced?

If you had several that were inaccurate that is a red flag that suggests operator error.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Ruger M77 tang safety

Mule Deer:

Boxer - Big Stick:

If you had several that were inaccurate that is a red flag that suggests operator error.

Well the other ten brands I use and own are fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ruger M77 tang safety

Mule Deer:

Boxer - Big Stick:

you are the most unlucky Ruger 77 owner I have come across todate.

Last edited by roundoak; 10/01/22.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Futura
Originally Posted by beretzs
I like my handful of Rugers.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

250 Savage

Pretty good hunting rifles

That’s a nice shooting rifle. What stock is that? I like the M77’s with sights.

It’s a High Tech I believe. I think it’s similar to Bansers?

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Ruger M77 tang safety

Mule Deer:

Boxer - Big Stick:

Yep. I have different experience than your small sample size so I must be a liar and a bad shot.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ruger M77 tang safety

Mule Deer:

Boxer - Big Stick:

Yep. I have different experience than your small sample size so I must be a liar and a bad shot.
You said it, not me.

For awhile I had a small cottage industry going buying and selling Ruger 77s. Rumors spread that 77s had bad barrels and they are not accurate. So when Tom, Dick and Harry learned of this they thru up their arms when their 77s would not shoot and they traded or sold them off. I bought a lot of those piece of schidt 77s and checked them out. Some did not like certain factory ammo, but liked other brand factory ammo. Some shot great after several rounds down the barrel, some shot better with a clean barrel. Some were purchased with mounted scopes and when replaced with a scope with a good track record, shot like a house of fire. Others shot respectable groups after a simple tweaks. I only sent two rifles to Ruger for service. One came back with a new barrel and the other was re-crowned. Every rifle I sold, the new owner was advised of what correction if any was done and I would buy it back if they were not satisfied. No one returned a rifle.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If you want to spend your time polishing turds go ahead. I would rather mount a scope and shoot sub moa like my Remingtons and Mausers and husky and marlin and savages and Weatherby rifles do.

And...what exactly is a "house of fire?" Lol

Last edited by mjbgalt; 10/01/22.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've owned one Ruger tanger. An RSI in 308 with the full stock made in 1986. I took it to the range for the initial sight-in session and the trigger locked up and I couldn't get the first round off. Took it back to the previous owner and we did alot fiddling and adjusting and we thought we had it fixed. Went back to the range and I managed to get three rounds fired, and same thing. Trigger locked up. Called Ruger and they sent a replacement allen set screw for the front trigger adjustment screw, but we couldn't use it because of a small head on the screw and it wouldn't fit my gun. We also placed a WTB ad here on the fire for a replacement M77 tanger trigger. We found one and paid the shipping. I believe that was all that was requested. I installed the different trigger group and it functioned perfectly. And then a buddy came along looking for a good bolt gun in 308. He is now the proud owner, and I hope he doesn't experience anything like what I experienced.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If anyone wants a used M77 tanger trigger I have one...someday when I get a round tuit that thing is going in the trash. Hopefully no one else will ever get it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to spend your time polishing turds go ahead. I would rather mount a scope and shoot sub moa like my Remingtons and Mausers and husky and marlin and savages and Weatherby rifles do.

And...what exactly is a "house of fire?" Lol
It is an expression or in this case 5/8" at 100 yards made by an old piece of schidt 77 7x57.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You said you had several 77s that were very inaccurate. I would think that after a couple you would not own anymore.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

This entire year long thread is about members opinions of M77’s.
I wouldn’t expect those opinions to all be the same….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yeah you would think it would be ok to have an opinion lol

But someone who doesn't know "house afire" is the correct wording, is also small minded enough to think an opinion is right or wrong.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see you are still smarting from a couple of opinions that are different from yours.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
No I am annoyed with your obnoxious and rude behavior when I was so daring as to share my own opinion.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 10/02/22.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a Ruger 30/06 that wouldn't group less than 2" with any factory ammo. And one of my two Ruger #1's weren't much better. Still have the 30/06 and a 6mm #1 both have acceptable hunting accuracy. I bought a Sako .243 in 1981 and figured out what a rifle was supposed to be.

Life is good live it while you can.
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,663
Posts18,493,660
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.