Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
deleted

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/05/22.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Grizzlies can get pretty big in MT/BC area.

In the late '80s biologists were studying bears in the area around the NW corner of Glacier Park, both sides of the border, for three years. There was an especially large male in the area, mostly on the B.C. side, which they never succeeded in trapping, but sometimes saw and quite often found and measured his tracks. They claimed that with the experience they had, they were able to judge autumn weight pretty closely by track dimensions, and estimated this one at very close to 1100 pounds. One day a biologist was watching a black bear which three days earlier had been trapped, weighed and otherwise probed, then tagged. It weighd 440 pounds. While watching, the huge grizzly rushed from the timber and killed the black and proceedede to devour it. The biologist said the grizzly had nearly the black's whole head in it's mouth.

The big guy was not normally known to cause problems, but the hunting outfitter in the area kept a messy camp and had been warned by BC conservation to clean it up. One evening he and some clients crossed the border (illegally), spent some time at the Northern Lights saloon in Polebridge. When they returned to camp the big griz was there eating trash, the outfitter gut shot it, probably hoping it would wander off before dying and thus avoiding scrutiny on himself; but leaving a wounded, huge grizzly wandering the woods during hunting season. A few days later the group returned to Polebridge, got drunk, and one of them told other patrons the story; as a result, BC conservation investigated, fined him and he forfeited the hunting/guiding license, for which he reportedly paid $1.5 million Canadian dollars. I don't remember the exchange rate at the time.

A large black grizzly was caught during that study period which was weighed at 880 lbs, but I don't remember what time of year.

The biggest I ever encountered in that general area was, according to FWP, around 750lbs fall fat.

Dale

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Montana: 1,800 to 2,000.

source

How do they know? What method are they using for estimation? They could have 3,000 or more, maybe. Unless..

Alaska was using a method developed and used for Montana bear pop studies - admittedly not a good fit but all they had until they figured out how to do it more accurately. (And got the funding for it- always important)

Set up bait stations with barbed wire hair snatchers arounbd it, then DNA the suckers. Over a 3 or 4 year period of "capture and recapture" of the samples, they could make a far better estimate of the bear population.

We wound up with almost twice as many bears as with originally used Montana methodology. I'm thinking Montana probably is doing the same DNA-based method now, but don't know.

So they could be right.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Originally Posted by High_Noon
...and always remember to file off the front sight of the revolver you tote for defense.

Uhhhh.....this must be some sort of inside joke right? That not actually a legitimate suggestion?

It is so you don't chip a tooth when you put it in your mouth to pull the trigger rather than die from the bear. Yes it is a joke.

Thanks. I assumed it was a joke, but this is the Fire, so I couldn't completely rule it out as nothing but terrible advice haha.
There is plenty of bad advice anyway.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
We've had some big ones in Eastern Idaho. Idmilton got a big griz on tral cam at his blackbear bait a few years back. Iirc they had shot and skinned out a 350ish pound black bear and left the carcas near the bait. They were headed back to the bait a day or 2 later and something had carried the 350 carcas quite a ways down the trail. They went and checked their cams and it was a huge grizzly. I think it wasn't too far up the hill just east of rigby. If he sees this hopefully he can tell the story for us correctly.

Bb

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Montana: 1,800 to 2,000.

source

How do they know? What method are they using for estimation? They could have 3,000 or more, maybe. Unless..

Alaska was using a method developed and used for Montana bear pop studies - admittedly not a good fit but all they had until they figured out how to do it more accurately. (And got the funding for it- always important)

Set up bait stations with barbed wire hair snatchers arounbd it, then DNA the suckers. Over a 3 or 4 year period of "capture and recapture" of the samples, they could make a far better estimate of the bear population.

We wound up with almost twice as many bears as with originally used Montana methodology. I'm thinking Montana probably is doing the same DNA-based method now, but don't know.

So they could be right.
It was far better than using a no longer valid model with different parameters than the KP!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Cool pics, bears are some big bad muthers,.. but I notice that the crows ain’t goin away hungry either!!

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
las - At least 10 years ago I heard that Montana used the same barbed wire hair snatcher/DNA gathering technique in a rather limited area around Glacier National Park and likewise found they had twice as many grizzlies as previously estimated. They tried to get a federal grant to expand the study to all of northwestern MT, but were turned down. The biologist who told me this suspected the reason was that it would provide data supporting re-opening grizzly hunting, something the DC politicians/political hacks were against.

Dale

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Way cool, Kirk. Scary predators. I can't even imagine walking up on one of those big beasts. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot a Grizz once upon a time

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My favorite line about grizzlies came out of a Sackett novel. Tell, I think it was, opined that it was amazing how filled up a country could get with just you and a griz in it.

Pretty much true, sometimes.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by irfubar
We have some really cool stuff on the campfire... if you can sort through all the bullshit... this is the good stuff.... smile
Along with Big Sky's fish pic, some dog threads and such.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking
So how gd many grizzly bears do the feds want?
That's easy....................................

MORE!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

Congratulations on the grizz with a bow, not many can say they accomplished that.

KB

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KillerBee

Congratulations on the grizz with a bow, not many can say they accomplished that.
Takes a pretty big pair to do it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by hanco
I bet you all in that country are careful. It probably wouldn’t be good to walk up on one, startle him or her. Do you walk out at night to a hunting spot? I wear a sidearm just for that, probably couldn’t hit cshit, but maybe the noise will scare them..

I do wear a revolver and bear spray, but when you look at the size of that bear, you lose confidence in the gun and never had any confidence in the bear spray..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

No kidding.

The walking sticks with bells attached that REI sells to the granola/yogurt/Subaru/armpit hair crowd kinda cracks me up.

What you need is a good pair of Nikes, and a hiking companion with flip flops.

Great pics.

lol

KB

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'll take your word for it, but in that photo the head, ears and paws look a lot like a black bear.

Proud NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
ditto

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 3,076 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,191
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.