Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Around here there are local online auction houses that are very effective for this type of thing. They usually get 10-15 percent from the seller and from the buyer. They do all the pictures, listing, and advertising. Selling prices seem quite high to me so I would say this is probably the quickest way for her to get the most value out of them if you have those type of businesses in your area. As always, check references to make sure you are dealing with a reputable business.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
We had a guy from a big place in Houston come out. The SOB offered maybe 25% of what I think the retail value would be. He would not price them individually. I have a GunBroker account, sold a few on there, mostly a buyer. That be a pain, but Wifey would help me. I don’t remember what they charge.

Last edited by hanco; 10/05/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by renegade50
Try to sell them on here.
Buyer pays fees both sides.
Better people who will use the guns rather than some scheisters looking to make a buck by taking a old lady for a ride with their bullschitt ploys.
I'd agree. Definitely individually for the most part. No consignment type thing, even though it's less hassle she'll get ripped off. I guarantee you the deceased man, if he were alive wouldn't want that

Romans 5:1
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
What I’ve done for friend-of-a-friend deal is hang a tag on all the guns with a description and two different values. One was a great deal price for quick sale, the higher number was what I thought a fair price would be. Widowers seldom seem to have a clue. I heard back from one that her husband’s ’friends’ trying to buy the guns bitched quite a bit about the prices, but still paid them. She would have been out multiple thousands from what those turds would have offered.

Shoot straight, shoot often
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pops died, had a few.

I knew what he paid and what they were worth.

Consignment at LGS. Them doing the paper work, dealing w people......worth whatever they made IMHO.

Security issue was bad enough having to get that crap out and over to my place, buy a new safe and then drag a few over now and then. ( They sell em and Id bring more to fill those " slots " ). Didnt overwhelm them w estate crap all at once. It worked out, took about a year.

Another reason for me to not be a collector. Too much chit for others to deal with. Guns was bad enough, all the other books n crap he collected.....not worth the hassle.

If you have the space, security and time, buying collections and selling them might be OK.

Some folks want every penny, others willing to dump.stuff at 50% for one big check and no headache.

Old timer i knew died, one of his hunting buddies tried to rip.off the widow on the collection. She was no dummy and did an auction, turned out OK.

Never.liked that SOB that tried to rip her off. Always thought he was a POS ever since I was a kid.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No way would I except .50 cents on the dollar.

The easiest way to get most of there value is to take them to a dealer that is familiar with the type of guns that you want to sell and let him sell them on consignment. Typically a 15%-20% fee to the dealer and the dealer will post the ads to the websites and take care of the shipping.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by renegade50
Any .308 mod 70,s in the collection?
If so and if it is not a hassle for you, could you send me some pics via pm.
I would be interested.
Pre 64
Post 64 PF
Post 64 CRF
Featherweight models especially.

28 sxs here.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Pretty cold when so-called 'buddies' try and screw over their late friends widow.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
No way would I except .50 cents on the dollar.

The easiest way to get most of there value is to take them to a dealer that is familiar with the type of guns that you want to sell and let him sell them on consignment. Typically a 15%-20% fee to the dealer and the dealer will post the ads to the websites and take care of the shipping.

I would recommend this; I have a friend that has a shop and is a dealer/gunsmith. He will make great photos, list and ship for 20%. Seems more than fair to me. It is where I would recommend my wife go; if needed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Around here I'd go auction house.
And my wife has instructions to do just that.

If it's a "Gun" auction, or just enough good guns to draw a crowd,
They go stupid high. High enough to absorb the 25% fee and still
get a good penny.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Several factors to consider on a large collection: 1] Does the widow have a pressing need for the proceeds?

2] Logistics, how many trips to the house to move the guns and cases, safes etc or will you have to piece them out a few at a time from your house or hers? Do you want to package and ship guns?

If you can find a dealers/dealers that will take only 15%/sale that would maximize profit but may take more time than is convenient. I worked for a dealer that frequently bought substantial collections and handled everything from transport to paperwork and paid cash upon pickup. Most of the collections were a mix of quality and demand in the marketplace. On these 50% of retail would be the exception, on a mixed lot of 40 guns + cases accessories reloading stuff etc 40% of current retail would be generous. Convenience and ready cash is expensive.

YMMV.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Be patient. Some idiot will pay at least 80% just to get the guns he wants, then sell the rest to break even.

That's what I do. smile. (I'm the idiot.)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite LGS puts guns on consignment for 10% fee. I think that is very fair considering that she checks them to make sure they are not stolen, keeps them until sold, and does all the transfer paperwork. All of the used guns that I've purchased have been through her. I don't haggle...I figure it's win win, I get a nice gun and some widow gets a fair value. The LGS knows what I like and directs me to the shelf when I walk in...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We have a couple good auction houses close. I’d definitely go that route. They get 20% seller 10% buyers premium.
People go stupid on auctions. I’ve ne er seen a gun go even close to 50% of what it’s worth. Normally 90%-110%

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
We had a guy from a big place in Houston come out. The SOB offered maybe 25% of what I think the retail value would be. He would not price them individually. I have a GunBroker account, sold a few on there, mostly a buyer. That be a pain, but Wifey would help me. I don’t remember what they charge.

I’m guessing Collectors Firearms in Houston.😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A friend with an extensive collection (his fathers and his) was concerned that his wife would dump them for pennies on the dollar.

He contacted the NRA and made an arrangement that upon his death the guns would go to a major on line auction house. The auction proceeds were then to be split 50/50 between the NRA and his wife. He thought that she would get significantly more money this way than her doing the "my stuff and your crap" routine.

He has passed and I never found out what transpired... I offered to help but never heard another word from her.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
My favorite LGS puts guns on consignment for 10% fee. I think that is very fair considering that she checks them to make sure they are not stolen, keeps them until sold, and does all the transfer paperwork. All of the used guns that I've purchased have been through her. I don't haggle...I figure it's win win, I get a nice gun and some widow gets a fair value. The LGS knows what I like and directs me to the shelf when I walk in...

10% is a bargain for all the work and hassle saved. Win-win.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Several years ago I went with a guy to buy a small gun collection from a widow. Mostly run of the mill stuff, but he gave her a fair price for about 20 guns. She had a list of the guns and she showed it to him after he bought them from her. There were a couple of really nice guns on the list that were not there. She told him that her late husbands drinking buddy came and bought them the day before.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A girlfriend I had long ago, father passed, her mom asked me to sell his guns and ammo, I said I'd do it, thinking he only had a couple. He had 21 long guns 7 old wore out pistols, and a bunch of ammo! Took me a couple of months alot of leg work, several gun shows I kept a little ammo for my troubles, I' don't think I'd do it again tho! This was before the campfire!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve seen passed on quite a few “lists” from friends. Too much work, too many variables. I do however point those to reputable dealers and alternatives. What I’ve seen from the non reputable is appalling. Shameful, but that’s what’s out there. Me, I’ve been selling what I don’t use and am running out of time to enjoy again. Collecting is only relevant to the collector. Not interested in educating family who have little interest. Rather they have the useful proceeds or we enjoy the cash together.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, bosshoff, 13 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.