Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
As I type this, I'm three weeks post op on a TKR of my left knee. I had the right knee replaced ten weeks prior to that. It hurts, no doubt about it, but the right knee is coming along just fine, and I predict the left will as well. It just takes time.

I will be losing medical benefits soon, so I had to get both done so close together.

I would HIGHLY suggest that you ask the anesthesiologist for the nerve block on the knee and the spinal as well. Absolutely no pain post op for the first 24 hours.....get a good nights sleep the first night.....it will be your last for awhile!

Good luck!

Frog---OUT!

Last edited by frogman43; 10/05/22.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Frogman43: Thank you for that bit of information on the "nerve block" - I did not know about that!
I think I could have used that procedure when I had my left knee replaced 2 1/2 years ago.
Heaven forbid, should I ever need my right knee replaced I will take you advice there.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There was a wild ass talk show host in Atlanta. He went in for TKR. He had them give him a spinal block, and during surgery he was propped up on pillows, and he watched the entire surgery.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
High commode or riser seat and powered recliner chair I didn’t have either for my knee.If I get the other done I’ll have both. I think it was 8+ weeks till I got a good nights sleep

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My sis just went through this. She healed amazingly fast! I am jonesin for the same deal from 40 years of finishing concrete, among things! I like a regimen of gatorade(or other ) and psyllium husk powder(way cheaper) for the constipation!

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by troublesome82
My sis just went through this. She healed amazingly fast! I am jonesin for the same deal from 40 years of finishing concrete, among things! I like a regimen of gatorade(or other ) and psyllium husk powder(way cheaper) for the constipation!
Generic Walmart colace is your friend.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My knees have been an issue for forty years. First surgery on the left for torn cartilage in 1979. Before they did arthroscopic. They didn't do much PT back then. Finally got to semi normal for about fifteen years. Then more issues that I delt with. Finally arthroscopic surgery on the left in 2001. On the right in 2002. Held me for a little longer. By 2009 couldn't bend my left knee enough to shift gears on a motorcycle. Time for replacement on the left. In July. Then the right three days before Thanksgiving. Got out of the hospital on Thanksgiving Day. Did fairly well for a while. Left was becoming a big issue after ten years. Back in. The plastic had worn out and there was so much scar tissue the doc was amazed the knee even bent. Didn't get to do much PT on the retread. COVID hit and everyone was home. Now, my next adventure is my right wrist. De-boning scheduled for the end of November.

Take the good meds as little as possible. Yes, it hurts. But it gets better. Elevate. Ice. Those ice machines that circulate water are great and not that expensive.

Was driving a week and a half after the left knee done. Actually drove a week after the right knee was done. LOL Saw the PA six weeks after surgery and she asked how I got there. When I pantomimed driving, she shook her head and said she didn't want to know.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The wife had one knee replaced earlier this year, she only had one day where the pain made her ask herself what had she done. Otherwise with pain meds and cold pad she tolerated it well, her surgeon glued the incision so no stitches or staples. He also sent PT instructions home with her and she rehabbed by exercising at home. The last three months she has been riding the bike at the gym, she has the second knee scheduled for December. With modern anesthesia there is no reason to fear ortho surgery. I speak from experience having had both hips replaced and both shoulders rotator cuff repair.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Be VERY CAREFUL with Extra Strength Tylenol, it can wreck your liver. It's not something you want to be on long term. I know because I've BTDT !

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I'm at 10 months. Still not happy with it
What do you think went wrong? Or are just still recovering?

I have no idea. I was a champ at physical therapy
I can walk fine but it hurts to do simple things like get in and out of bed.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by frogman43
As I type this, I'm three weeks posy op on a TKR of my left knee. I had the right knee replaced ten weeks prior to that. It hurts, no doubt about it, but the right knee is coming along just fine, and I predict the left will as well. It just takes time.

I will be losing medical benefits soon, so I had to get both done so close together.

I would HIGHLY suggest that you ask the anesthesiologist for the nerve block on the knee and the spinal as well. Absolutely no pain post op for the first 24 hours.....get a good nights sleep the first night.....it will be your last for awhile!

Good luck!

Frog---OUT!

Frog.

Dude, you're tougher than I am. One was enough. And I'm really glad that the other one appears to be holding up well.

10 weeks between them. I'm just glad to hear it's going well for you.

Sorry to hear about losing the medical benes, that kinda sucks.

Other than that, I hope all is well with you and yours.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What about stairs or squatting down to pick something up?

Uphill and downhill walking?

As I mentioned, mine just aches at times, and creaks and pops when it moves. But, I can at least walk a few miles without major pain like pre-op.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I stopped sleeping facing down and my knee pain stopped...Hope this can help someone.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Just got tossed a real big curve ball.. Surgeon's office called during my hospital pre OP visit and testing and told me I HAVE to quit smoking before the surgery??? (Not stop for a bit, QUIT permanently) Been smoking for 50+ years, not going to be able stop in a week and a half. I guess nicotine has an affect on the bone and cement they use? Would have been nice if they had told me that before all the testing etc. Back to square one I guess.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Come on, use some will power. Yes, smoking makes it difficult for the bones and incisions to heal. Just lay off for now, six weeks after surgery you can start up again.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Several of my friends have had it done and they all said they wish they had done it sooner. They all also said to push yourself on the rehab while you are on the pain meds.

Do your home work. Talk with anyone you know who's had it done and pick a Doc thats done a lot of them.

lightman
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I have finally gotten to the point where it is time to have it done. I know several have had this done here on the fire, any tips or suggestions? If the left one goes well, the right knee is next..

Try PRP injections first...

Tarquin
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Valsdad

What about stairs or squatting down to pick something up?

Uphill and downhill walking?

As I mentioned, mine just aches at times, and creaks and pops when it moves. But, I can at least walk a few miles without major pain like pre-op.

I can do all that. Pulling my pants on hurts, kneeling, moving abruptly and standing around kills me

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Don’t shrink back from the subsequent physical therapy. It’ll hurt but it’s important.

The pain narcotics they gave me were NO help at all. Ironbender suggested Ibuprofen instead. He was right. He & I had ours done on the same day in 2018.

My surgeon was William Bryan with Houston Methodist Sports Medicine. He had done J.J. Watt’s knee not long prior to cutting on me. A good Doc is a good find.

It took 6 months to be able to climb a curb without deliberate calculation & 18 months to climb the stairs normally.
I remember that. It was a fun day, wasn’t it?
smile

If you say so…………

It certainly improved after the Advil advice.

Last edited by Reloder28; 10/06/22.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

206 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 26 invisible), 2,101 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,501
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.