Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by plumbum
Originally Posted by Tarkio
I would make sure the hitch isn't too high. Then build on the tongue a place to carry things you need which will add the weigh you need. Platform for extra jugs of water, firewood, etc. A friction anti-sway device would be a good idea if it's as bad as you say as well.

Sure but when the wood is burned, then what? Consumables are only a temporary fix.

Because plum dumb is a sock puppet who hacked plumdum's account in 2021

No postings for 10 years. Then hacked by plum dumb . Happens a lot on here

#6503517 05/14/12
Online Content
plumbum
Campfire Regular
P
I have some Speer/DWM 8mm brass, 80 or 100 of them, new unfired in slip-top boxes. It won't be cheap, but it is the best.
I don't know who plumdumb is but he's right. I can add lots of water jugs but when they're empty, we still need to drive it home.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reivertom
Bolt some lead weights in or under the frame in the front. Any trailer needs tongue weight to pull safely.

If you're going to add lead weight, it might as well be in batteries.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'd have tounge weight between 10-13% empty or without any camping and personal belongings.

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by ironbender
I wonder if this is the reason the previous owner sold it.
There are lots of these on the road. He was using a 1/2 ton pickup. They always camped in campgrounds with full hookups and I suspect they traveled with the water tank empty. I've pulled it 600 miles with the tank empty and it handled fine.

I have been amazed at how many RVers always travel with empty tanks and always use the public restrooms.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It would be worth getting the trailer weighed when it is fully loaded to see if you are in the ballpark with your 230 lb tongue weight. The results might surprise you.

Also check the axle mounting. Torsion axles usually have a steel channel that is bolted to the bottom of the main frame. If there are multiple mounting holes, moving the axle back even an inch might solve your problem.

Is the problem worse when the water tank is only partially full? A bunch of water sloshing back and forth can really make things unstable.

Your idea of moving the spare tire from back to front is a good one.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you haven't called Casita, I would. As another option, try this https://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
They have sold thousands of those. Hard to believe that it's a design problem. Maybe the forum listed above will give some insight if others are experiencing the same issue.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by reivertom
Bolt some lead weights in or under the frame in the front. Any trailer needs tongue weight to pull safely.

If you're going to add lead weight, it might as well be in batteries.
If you have room, I can't argue with that. If not, underneath in the frame is a good option.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buy 2 30 pound propane tanks. Same footprint more weight. Fill the water tanks when you get closer to your destination?
Just use the bigger vehicle to tow it. If your camping it’s already for fun saving money by driving an inferior vehicle and causing more stress on what is supposed to be a relaxing trip makes no sense….

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If the trailer is swaying the tongue is too light.I would put a bracket and add 2 more batteries up front

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Just get a suitcase type tractor counterweight and bolt it to the underside of the a frame with some u bolts.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by plumbum
Originally Posted by Tarkio
I would make sure the hitch isn't too high. Then build on the tongue a place to carry things you need which will add the weigh you need. Platform for extra jugs of water, firewood, etc. A friction anti-sway device would be a good idea if it's as bad as you say as well.

Sure but when the wood is burned, then what? Consumables are only a temporary fix.

Because plum dumb is a sock puppet who hacked plumdum's account in 2021

No postings for 10 years. Then hacked by plum dumb . Happens a lot on here

#6503517 05/14/12
Online Content
plumbum
Campfire Regular
P
I have some Speer/DWM 8mm brass, 80 or 100 of them, new unfired in slip-top boxes. It won't be cheap, but it is the best.
I don't know who plumdumb is but he's right. I can add lots of water jugs but when they're empty, we still need to drive it home.

Stop soon after leaving and refill water jugs. Pick up more wood.

This isn't rocket science.

Montana MOFO
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Just bolt or weld a 100 lb tractor weight under the tongue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't the location of the axles be adjusted on many Recreational trailers?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There's something else going on. This camper is a proven design that has been around for decades. No way should you have to be adding weight to the front to make it track. Call Casita' or get on their forum to find the answer.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I’d be checking wheels/tires/axle/hitch ball height/spring attachments, before I got too carried away with weight distribution. Is the tongue straight?? Any chance the spring perches weren’t located “equally” (and thus, axle is not tracking “straight”?? A 1/2” to an inch would do it.) Etc...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
UPDATE: I'd previously rigged up a scale setup using an electronic bathroom scale. I just found that it's very inaccurate for this. The electronics do some screwy things. I redid it using a hanging scale that's more accurate. I now find that the tongue weight fully loaded is 350lb. That's about 11% of the gross wt, enough to minimize sway from low tongue wt.
I carefully measured from the tires to the hitch and find that there's only about 1/2" difference. Casita uses a Dexter Torsion axle, not a spring type. They're bolted (welded on older models) to the frame and aren't adjustable so that 1/2" is going to stay 1/2".

I have the ball height set so it rides level. I'll try lowering it a little since it's an adjustable ball mount. I suspect that the real solution is going to be a WD hitch.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When we bought a used 16' Shasta in 1973, my dad immediately put a load leveling hitch on our 1973 GMC one ton long box crew cab. Watching what those hitches do to the interplay between the tow vehicle and the trailer, they are worth every penny they cost. I wouldn't consider towing a bumper pull holiday trailer without one.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have an old 23' camp trailer that's my hunting rig. It weighs 5500 with a 500lb tongue wt. It pulls fine behind my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel UNTIL I load my Polaris RZR in the bed. The RZR is heavy on the rear axle and that puts too much weight behind the truck axle so things get squirrely. A WD hitch fixes it up nicely.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
350# pounds should be adequate, if it was constant. The problem is that the single axle allows the trailer to transfer weight between front and rear. Lowering the ball should help, beyond that a WD hitch. I don't know if there are WD hitches designed for lighter trailers, I'd think there should be but I've never looked for one.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,478 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,680
Posts18,493,876
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.