Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’ve only been loading for the last few years for my 06. I’m now in the process of picking stuff out for loads for a 250 Savage 1899.

Man, anyone have any tips for places off the Main Street for buying brass?

No brass, and I haven't even started looking for primers. This is impossible to find components, I hadn't realized it got this bad!!

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Put an add in the classifieds here and hope for some good brass at a decent deal. I don't have an issue with buying once fired. Hard to find cartridges are not going to be found on store shelves these days. Just how it is now. Good luck with your search.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
What he said... right now anything uncommon isn't really a priority for manufacturers because they can sell all they can produce and then some in popular cartridges right now.

Hornady is about the only company that still makes 250 brass on any kind of regular basis, and it isn't all that regular anymore. They made a run back toward the beginning of this year, so it will probably be a while before they get around to producing another batch.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Take a look at Blue Collar Reloading! I’ve purchased brass from them before…..great people to work with.

My daughter was wanting to purchase some cartridges for her 270 Win. for her upcoming elk hunt…..they had a large quantity of Barnes (Vortex) 130 TTSX’s at a very good price (by today’s standards), and didn’t rape you on shipping. Not much more to expect from a business! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Buffalo Arms has it by the piece once in a while too, but the brand description isn't always accurate. Some of it has been Win, and some Rem. I bought about 20 a couple months ago that was described as Win online and got R-P in the bag.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by zcm82
Buffalo Arms has it by the piece once in a while too, but the brand description isn't always accurate. Some of it has been Win, and some Rem. I bought about 20 a couple months ago that was described as Win online and got R-P in the bag.

It’s nice that they have/had brass……but, their quality control leaves a lot to be desired! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Yeah, I wasn't thrilled when I saw it was R-P. I've had a fair bit of straight out of the bag garbage RP 250 brass.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
.22-250 is probably easier to find. I believe all that is required is annealing and necking up to make .250-3000.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
These guys

are GTG.........

fast shipping !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clean brass & extras

https://precisionbrass.net/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
They don't sell 250 Savage brass though, which is what OP was asking for leads on.

*added*

You can make them from 308 Win brass, but it's a real PITA. Trim, run it through a 300 Savage FL sizer, then a 250 Sav sizer, trim, and fireform, but between the increase in body taper and neck reduction I've buckled a lot of casings in the process. Imagine a neck sizing step to .277 or so would help a bit. Not worth the headache to me, so I just scrounge for 250 brass.

Last edited by zcm82; 10/05/22.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I’ve only been loading for the last few years for my 06. I’m now in the process of picking stuff out for loads for a 250 Savage 1899.

No brass, and I haven't even started looking for primers. This is impossible to find components, I hadn't realized it got this bad!!
Barkoff,
.250 Savage is a tough one these days. The Ace Hardware down the road from me had several boxes of Hornady brass recently, and I bought a few and shipped them to guys on 24CF who couldn't find any. But I think they are all gone now. I will check today. They were around $50 a box. Want me to buy you some if they still have them?
Also, as an experiment, I have made .250 Sav brass from 6.5 Creedmoor. Makes sense as the 6.5CM is basically the 250 Savage Improved necked up to .264. No special equipment needed, just a FL die, but you're moving a lot of metal in the shoulder area. I lubed them well and did three passes through the die, going in a bit deeper each time until bottoming out on the last pass. 6.5 CM are common as dirt so you got that going for you. Necking up 22-250 is easy, or blowing them out with Cream-of-Wheat (google it).

Best of luck. PM me if you want me to buy you some, if available, as I am off to the range this AM and will stop by the Ace coming home in about 5 hours. I'll see the PM via an email notice.
Cheers,
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 10/05/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I made all of my 250 sav brass from 22-250 works fine .Its a blessing to be able to make brass for the older guns from newer ones !

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I must have done something wrong, because when I tried making 250 from 22-250 a couple times they all came out very short in the neck. 😕

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Man, I’ll have to, there is NOTHING out there.

I could swap some 308 or .243 brass, or just buy from somebody. I have 100 hot-core coming, I have the dies, I have some primers, but not a single piece .250 Savage Brass to be had anywhere!

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Barkoff,
.250 Savage is a tough one these days. The Ace Hardware down the road from me had several boxes of Hornady brass recently, and I bought a few and shipped them to guys on 24CF who couldn't find any. But I think they are all gone now. I will check today. They were around $50 a box. Want me to buy you some if they still have them?
Also, as an experiment, I have made .250 Sav brass from 6.5 Creedmoor. Makes sense as the 6.5CM is basically the 250 Savage Improved necked up to .264. No special equipment needed, just a FL die, but you're moving a lot of metal in the shoulder area. I lubed them well and did three passes through the die, going in a bit deeper each time until bottoming out on the last pass. 6.5 CM are common as dirt so you got that going for you. Necking up 22-250 is easy, or blowing them out with Cream-of-Wheat (google it).

Best of luck. PM me if you want me to buy you some, if available, as I am off to the range this AM and will stop by the Ace coming home in about 5 hours. I'll see the PM via an email notice.
Cheers,
Rex

Absolutely, thanks for looking.
Ace Hardware brass, now that’s old school. I think my grandfather bought his Savage 99 .308 at an Ace Hardware, and they took his 300 Savage in on trade! 😂

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,706
Posts18,494,396
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.