Hop To
#17672106 10/06/22
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone running a 7 SAW???

I have a Kelbly Atlas Tactical that needs rebarreled.

The 7 SAW sounds like a great choice for a short action thatll be a good "do all" longer range hunting rig if/when I go west....mulies, elk, pronghorn, black bear..

Itd be dandy on my long range steel league when conditions blow the little 6s around...

I just can't find much real world info. Their (WTO) numbers seem pretty optimistic...

From their numbers, it's the most performance a guy can get from a short action it seems....

Figured I'd see if anyone runs one and can give me real world velocities they see.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’m interested as well in this cartridge. I expect we will have some that push other cartridges but let’s see if we get a good report on the 7 SAW specifically. I’m a big 7mm-08 fan but like the idea of this too as a close cousin.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Never ran one, but the magic is in the SRP brass. Runs at higher pressures.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No magic. Effectively a 7-08AI, or slightly less, in capacity. They load it to 65k psi, if I remember correctly. I considered it for my recent build, but went with a plain jane 7-08 instead. Easy choice for me when I found I could get Alpha Munitions 7-08 brass.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I run the 6.5x47....so I understand how they can push it....but their speeds seem like it's a bit of a stretch.

I may just have to have one spun up and see for myself.

It's been a bit since I've looked...I believe 308 Palma brass is used. Alpha also makes correct head stamped brass. So, not a big issue....good brass is easy enough.

It's an itch that's been nagging me for over a year. And now I have an action needing a new tube. Maybe this winters project. I'd have to really sit down and decide the full build. Knowing I may want to hunt with it, my normal m24 or heavier wouldn't be ideal...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's outright fhuqking bullschit and farrrrrrrrr from "Magic". Hint.

I shoot more than a "smidge" of 260AI and 7-08AI,using various SRP brass and MUCH prefer LRP in things of said case capacity and burning rate,especially in Winter. I R&D'd Alpha SRP 260 at inception. Hint.

R/P UBBR sucks too and I suffered same in multiple CHeetah's(40's). Hint.

With SRP comes primer flow and bolt bushing is a mandate. Hint.

I shoot a "few" .284's. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You mean firing pin bushing.

Tarquin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shhhhhhhhhhhsh...gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will always be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Hint.

The bolt face is bushed,pin hole made concentric and of minimal clearance,to the 'pin,which is trued/turned turned to a lesser than OEM diameter. The reduction in said tolerances,mitigates primer flow,which is oft "read" as a false pressure sign. Hint.

Before. Hint.

Be-after,with same Lot. Pardon my having dozens(17 Rem,223,223AI,270,22 PPC AFI,22 BR,6BR,etc). Hint.

You'd do well to take notes and apply same. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Shhhhhhhhhhhsh...gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will always be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Hint.

The bolt face is bushed,pin hole made concentric and of minimal clearance,to the 'pin,which is trued/turned turned to a lesser than OEM diameter. The reduction in said tolerances,mitigates primer flow,which is oft "read" as a false pressure sign. Hint.

Before. Hint.

Be-after,with same Lot. Pardon my having dozens(17 Rem,223,223AI,270,22 PPC AFI,22 BR,6BR,etc). Hint.

You'd do well to take notes and apply same. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Right. It's called "bushing the firing pin". "Bushing the bolt" refers to just that---bushing the exterior of the bolt for a tighter fit in the raceway. Use your terms precisely. That's all.

Tarquin
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweetheart,

I'm talking about wares resting in my mitts and you are talking your Google. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 2,011 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,026
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.