Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Pre 64 model 70 featherweight 30-06 made in 1955 best I can tell I have an older varixii 3-9 gloss Leupy on it now Just not happy with the overall look If it were yours what scope would you want to put on it Looking for a balance in age and optic quality Probably fair weather only hunting rifle Definitely do not need any thing above 9x

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What do you not like about that look? I would think that visually those two would pair quite well together.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
6x36 leupold or 2.5-8x36.
Preferably gloss.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
2.5-10 Nightforce.

If I am going to have just one, might as well do it right.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good steel-tube K4s are available for less than $100. They can be fixed if need be and the one I bought not long ago works perfectly. Definitely period-correct, and slim and trim, which is why I chose it for a Henry SS in .357.

Others worth seeking out are Lyman Perma Centers and old Redfield fixed-powers. My advise would be to avoid older variables since they’re more complex.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
What do you not like about that look? I would think that visually those two would pair quite well together.

Generally they look great together. Wondering what mounts and rings he's running? Sometimes guys use the wrong ones and that makes the whole package look like schidt.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Good steel-tube K4s are available for less than $100. They can be fixed if need be and the one I bought not long ago works perfectly. Definitely period-correct, and slim and trim, which is why I chose it for a Henry SS in .357.

Others worth seeking out are Lyman Perma Centers and old Redfield fixed-powers. My advise would be to avoid older variables since they’re more complex.

Yep. Relatively inexpensive. Plenty on eBay or at the local gun show. The blued steel tube just looks “right”. You said “fair weather”, so fogging shouldn’t be a real issue. Get a 70’s vintage that says “Micro-Trac”, and you’ll have better adjustments, while still having the “look” of the earlier (50’s/60’s) Weaver’s.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Yep. Relatively inexpensive. Plenty on eBay or at the local gun show. The blued steel tube just looks “right”. You said “fair weather”, so fogging shouldn’t be a real issue. Get a 70’s vintage that says “Micro-Trac”, and you’ll have better adjustments, while still having the “look” of the earlier (50’s/60’s) Weaver’s.

Is it that he wants an era correct looking scope or does he just want something that looks better. I was assuming looks better.. That can be very subjective, as we all have our favorite look. Sometimes you have to give up great looks for something that just works better though.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Mounts are a standard redfield one piece base and Leupold gloss rings and gloss 3-9 The wood has a very satin look to it the scope just seems to over power the rifle Will see if I can post some pics this weekend

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
Mounts are a standard redfield one piece base and Leupold gloss rings and gloss 3-9 The wood has a very satin look to it the scope just seems to over power the rifle Will see if I can post some pics this weekend

Thanks. That would help..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
2.5-10 Nightforce.

Classy comes with a price. But I’m 100% with ya!

My sock puppet has a sock puppet!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wide view Redfield would be cool

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rekobeez
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
2.5-10 Nightforce.

Classy comes with a price. But I’m 100% with ya!
Good idea!

I am about to put a NF 2.5-10x24 on my 1952 375H&H

Think it will look good!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't think I have ever accessorized a rifle with asthetics as the goal.

Don't style my hair or get manicures either.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
On my wood stocked pre 64 fwt's I have a newer version of that leupy 2.5-8x36( matte).They have worked well for deer hunting and just look right on a M70 fwt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hint...............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
This

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Don't think I have ever accessorized a rifle with asthetics as the goal.

Don't style my hair or get manicures either.

And this

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Is it that he wants an era correct looking scope or does he just want something that looks better. I was assuming looks better.. That can be very subjective, as we all have our favorite look. Sometimes you have to give up great looks for something that just works better though.

My impression is that he wants something “period-correct” or at least that looks that way, as he mentioned age, and also fair weather. I get that; nothing wrong with having something old-timey to tote on occasion. The Weavers and Lymans I mentioned were perfect adequate for that role, and adjusted better than recent single-spring models from You Know Who. I have a couple rifles that fit in that slot, one with vintage irons. Fired off a few with my Low Wall yesterday, tang sight did just fine. My new FN with the Lyman 57 needs a higher front sight so I’ll be cheating with a red dot until I get that done.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Leupold M8 4x would be fitting on a rifle like that. They are long enough to fit on a long action without any hassles. I use one on my 721.

It's not a great scope but works well enough and looks "right" on the rifle.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (1minute, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 42 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,162
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.