Killed a lot of animals with a 7x57 130, 140 and 154 gr, never thought I
needed a 280 as well as that worked.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Does the deer/elk care if the 150-160gr. bullet comes out of a 7x57 or a .280? That's pretty doubtful. Both will kill them with ease. Pick the rifle you want to use, and don't worry about it. I can't think it makes any difference if the bullet hits at 2700fps or 2800fps, either.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
No they probably don't give a dam BUT whats the fun in that?? Loonies care if it's 150 vs 160 and 2700 fps vs 2800fps

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I love a 7x57 like Burns loves NyQuil.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I would split the difference and use a 7x64 Brenneke.......has classic appeal and is close to .280

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Thanks for the reply. I’ll just have to do my own testing if the opportunity presents itself.

Why don't you learn how pre-test bullets in different kinds of media, rather than testing them on big game "if the opportunity presents itself"?

There are various things at work here--including the fact that cup-and-core bullets tend to expand and penetrate more reliably at moderate muzzle velocities--which has been widely know for a LONG time.

I have published a bunch of articles, and book chapters, on the various aspects of this subject. You might want to read some of them, rather than expect field results for every bullet from every cartridge on every kind of big game.

Maybe I'm little testy tonight, but there it is....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Thanks for the reply. I’ll just have to do my own testing if the opportunity presents itself.

Why don't you learn how pre-test bullets in different kinds of media, rather than testing them on big game "if the opportunity presents itself"?

There are various things at work here--including the fact that cup-and-core bullets tend to expand and penetrate more reliably at moderate muzzle velocities--which has been widely know for a LONG time.

I have published a bunch of articles, and book chapters, on the various aspects of this subject. You might want to read some of them, rather than expect field results for every bullet from every cartridge on every kind of big game.

Maybe I'm little testy tonight, but there it is....

Thats fine if you're a little testy, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
I guess my original question about elk sized game with the 160 Gameking was more making conversation than anything. I have used a lot of gamekings out of different cartridges over the years, they are one of my favorite bullets. I am quite certain the 160 will work on the cow elk and small bulls I usually harvest. I think I was just looking for somebody else to tell me what I already knew.
And yes, I am aware of the fact that cup and core bullets work great at moderate velocity. It's been my experience that medium size bullets at medium velocities kill game well.

I haven't purchased any of your books, but I did get a copy of Handloader 320 with your article on modern 7x57. I enjoyed the read.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I love a 7x57 like Burns loves NyQuil.

The Algo will get an adjustment but the fact I live rent free in you head is pretty funny.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
" I am quite certain the 160 will work on the cow elk and small bulls I usually harvest."

You're quite right. I've used the 150 gr. Game King in my .270 for years. Many deer and the las animal was my antelope back in 2009. I usually use the .35 Whelen with 225 gr. TSX for elk but would have no qualms using it on elk. One of my hunting pards uses the .270 almost exclusively and I've seen him do a few one shot kill, DRT on elk with the Game Kings.

Currently I'm running the 160 gr. Speer Grand Slams, older two core version in my .280 Rem. Using the 150 gr. Partition in the 7x57. Both loads run under MOA at 100 yards. Might have to try the Sierras if I can find some.

PJ

Last edited by PJGunner; 10/03/22.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There're always opinions. My first center fire was a 6mm (albeit a 7.92x57 for a few rounds before it was re-barreled.) My opinion was that the 6mm was a better cartridge than a 243. Mainly because the 6mm I owned was a 1/4 MOA shooter. I never saw a 243 that shot that well. Clear bias towards the 6mm here.
Getting past the bias on these other cartridges, what's the real differences?
Others have stated the issues with the 7x57 such as the military throating etc. Others have stated the 280 problems were mainly with the low-pressure factory loads.
If you buy factory ammo for these two it gets complicated. European ammo for the 7x57 is more powerful than USA ammo I guess, IDK though as I never bought European ammo for the 7x57. The USA ammo for either seems like a 'rather not an excellent' option but maybe the 280 wins here. I rarely shoot factory ammo, so factory ammo really has little bearing on my choice. I consider factory ammo as a source of brass in most cases with some exceptions (17 Hornet for instance).
I've had a few 7x57's in my lifetime most were Mauser 98's. I have had many more 280's, A heavy varmint barreled Ruger 77 was the first one I owned, and it was accurate. The rest were mainly 700 Remington's and I have yet to find one that wasn't accurate. I had one 280 on a Mauser action and it was OK but only with some loads. Based on my past experiences the 280 was a clear winner over the 7x57. Now, I have a couple 700's in 7x57 - a Classic and a mountain rifle. They are both quite accurate. The difference as I see it is marginal differences in power, recoil and powder usage. I'd take either a 7x57 or a 280 on a deer, pronghorn or elk hunt.
The same goes with the 270 vs. 280. The 270 factory ammo seems better than the 280's, IDK as I don't shoot factory ammo in either. My three each 270's I own now are all 700's as are the three each 280's. I only shoot handloads in them. They are all accurate. So, what's the differences for me?
The 280 has a marginally larger case and bullet diameter. Therefore, loaded to the same pressure the 280 has marginally more power. The 270 kicks less. Both seem to do well on game.
Is one a clear winner? I don't see it that way. But I see people that have had one or the other and like my experience with the 6mm and they seem to feel their choice is clearly the best.
Since I have more rifles in the 7mm caliber I have more variety of bullets on my shelf that are 7mm, that tips the scale for me to 280. But lately SPS has had many 270 partitions on sale, so the scale isn't tipped by much.
Basically, then if my reasoning is correct, the differences are mainly in one's head. Also, the differences for other cartridges such as the 257 vs. the 25-06 or the 7mm RM vs the 280AI or the 300 WSM and the 300 WM, the 6.5's and the list goes on. Everyone has their opinions. Often the differences are not as much as what's in one's head.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/03/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Fug me, I fail to see the problem you just load your 7mm rem down to what you want. Not good enough? Well there is another easy fix buy a 7x57 , then buy a 7-08, find and buy a 280, then a 7 mag. Load and shoot all of them instead of tearing out your hair over it come to your own conclusions.. sure you know I wouldn't shet you none. Experience them all life is short...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
But in the decades I've been a gun writer, have only met one who used 175s for hunting. All the others (including two of the .280's most famous gun-writer fans) used bullets in the 140-150 grain range. If this made any difference in the "killing power" of the .280 over the .270 I failed to see it, after hunting a LOT with the .280 and various bullets throughout the 1990s.

Interesting thread....................

I couldn't agree more about John's comments about the relative "killing power" of the 270 vs the 280.

And though I'm not a gun writer nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn last night, I've killed more animals with a 270 (up to & including moose) than with any other caliber.

But I've had 5 280's over the years too, 3 with 24" barrels & 2 with 22" barrels, & while, theoretically, given the same weight bullets up to 150 grains, the 280 should also get more velocity; in reality, I've never found that to be the case in my testing..........in every single case the top velocity I've been able to make myself comfortable with has been the same..................for instance, the 150 NPT & NBT at 2950 FPS for both rounds.

And while I do love the 280, with 2 custom rifles being built in that chambering, in real world effectiveness, it does nothing better than the venerable 270.

I've never had a reason to want to load 160's for a 270, so I can't say what velocity might be had with 160's, but I could get 2850'ish with the 280's so that might be a push to get to in the 270, I dunno.

Never owned a 7x57, but the similar round that belongs in this conversation, is the 7-08............Much as I love the 270 & the 280, the 7-08 is close enough to the performance of both, that it's pretty much ousted the 270 & 280 for me, except that some of my favorite rifles are still in the 270 & 280's..................but I also love my 7-08 lightweight rifle.

Pick the rifle you like best in any of the mentioned chamberings, & with the same bullets, there won't be any real world performance difference.

MM

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Based on my vast ( whistle ) experience, I've not seen a bunch of difference among any of my rifles, from .250-3000 to .30/06 as far as "killing power". DRTs with the various 25s, 6.5s, , .270s, 7x57s, and '06s. And tracking jobs with all, all with similar shot placement. I have the different rifles because I like them. I harbor no cherished illusions about their capabilities. That having been stated, all my experience has been with deer, with few pronghorn thrown in. Larger game has just not been in the cards, but I'm only 70, so there's time. grin

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have had such stellar performance out of the 7x57 hunting Texas deer and hogs I hardly understand why I came up with a 280 AI. The AI is a bit more accurate and does add 200 fps at least. It weighs the same almost, is prettier but darned if I can honestly see a difference in killing power. Not damning it in fact giving it credit. That 7x57 has a lot of one shot kills to remember. The 280AI is easier to get brass for since I use 30-06 cases to make it. The 7x57 though is a bit harder to come by but it seems to last a long time. Sadly my 7x57 has been superseded by my 7-08, a much lighter rifle that gets similar ballistics and is a very good shooter. The old M98 7x57 has been sitting in the safe for 3 years now. Sad.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a real soft spot for the 7x57 and always wanted to have one. I have all kinds of reloading data and articles on it. During that time I was usually broke raising kids, so it never happened. A few years ago I guess, Mule Deer wrote yet another article on it and I finally gave up on building one. If I came across a nice one I might buy it, but if I'm going to build a long action 7mm it's going to be the .280AI. The 7mm-08 is almost exactly the same and weighs nothing.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"The 7mm-08 is almost exactly the same and weighs nothing."

Maybe so but the 7x57 has history and panache.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 7x57, 280AI, 7mmRM, and 7mmSTW.

They all work with my handloads.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PJGunner

PJ

Well, maybe, if that spins yer prop; you can add nostalgia too.

But why waste a long action on a round as short as the 7x57 that does nothing better than a 7-08. Nothing.

And there is a fair amount of decent factory ammo for the 7-08 if'n yer not a dyed-i-the-wool handloader.

Not so for the 7x57 as that's pretty much a handloading proposition especially given the variety of throats.

MM

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

PJ

But why waste a long action on a round as short as the 7x57 that does nothing better than a 7-08. Nothing.

And there is a fair amount of decent factory ammo for the 7-08 if'n yer not a dyed-i-the-wool handloader.

Not so for the 7x57 as that's pretty much a handloading proposition especially given the variety of throats.

MM

Exactly!

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

PJ

MM
How many 7x57's have you owned that had a "variety of throats"?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (204guy, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,601
Posts18,492,258
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.