-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In my area - corn started getting cut 3-4 weeks ago.

Me

GB1

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Best I can hope is they eat a 250-grainer in about 2 months.

I freakin' hate bears. Destructive sons-a-guns in a tree patch. They'll go through and break the tops out of harvestable fir trees left and right.

Kill 'em. Kill 'em ALL !!!!!

"Tree patches".....yOu yankee tree fArmers sure do talk funny

"fir trees".....all I saw were scub trees in the photos i guess you have them fir trees in their own little tree pAtch.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Is it too early to start looking forward to spring 2023 turkey season?! Lol!

Uuuuhhhh................... No. It is not. Lol !!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
"Tree patches".....yOu yankee tree fArmers sure do talk funny

"fir trees".....all I saw were scub trees in the photos i guess you have them fir trees in their own little tree pAtch.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!

So, now that you've figured out I have zero interest or respect for your "turkey hunting wisdom" you're gonna tell me about tree farming ?????

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!

You Memphis suburbanites sure do grasp at ANYTHING to try and establish relevancy. Try again, stupid. Or, better yet........just go some place else where you're NOT the laughing stock. Not sure where that'd be, but.............

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Family has been farming Christmas Trees over 100 years as part of our evergreen/florist greens business.

It's one of those jobs people don't realize exists until they really think about it. Business ups and downs - outside of the one retail lot on the property, uncle doesn't do retail lots anymore.

Heyday of Prohibition - if you bought a tree in Chicago, it was probably one of ours. We would smuggle booze down there for both Capone and O'Banion under them so eventually, they made sure we were the ones selling trees so we'd make more trips.

So now - we do wholesale trees, greens (wreaths, roping, bundles etc) and the retail lot where people can cut their own or not. If they cut their own - take the wagon out - pulled by either horses with good snow or a JD and cut. Gift store etc.

Christmas and Christmas trees are big deals in our fam.

Friends of ours did this on our ops as part of his youtube farming channel.

Me

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
So you raise Christmas trees Yoder ? We've got a Christmas tree farm just up the road here. I used to help them plant and trim in the spring/summer.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good stuff, Teal !!!! Nicely done video.

Our family has only been in it for 45 years. We're smaller scale than what yinz appear to be. We've only got around 25,000 in the ground right now. But there's just me and my older brother..........and we ain't gettin' any younger.

I'm sure Luther will be along soon to tell how your operation sucks and how ugly your trees are. He can't help but run his mouth about stuff he knows nothing of.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good stuff, Teal !!!! Nicely done video.

Our family has only been in it for 45 years. We're smaller scale than what yinz appear to be. We've only got around 25,000 in the ground right now. But there's just me and my older brother..........and we ain't gettin' any younger.

I'm sure Luther will be along soon to tell how your operation sucks and how ugly your trees are. He can't help but run his mouth about stuff he knows nothing of.

25k isn't minor.

IIRC - at current size, he's planting 8-10k a spring now. We used to be much larger and we have property all over the place, not just what's in the video.

Me

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Norways

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Colorado blues

Concolor fir

Serbian spruce

Canaan Valley fir

We also raise (or have raised) Scotch pine, Austrian pine, Fraser fir, Grand fir, and Korean fir. The market caught us by surprise and we had a few years where we didn't plant enough. So, we're in a supply lull for a couple years here. For the last couple years, we've turned multiple new wholesale customers away each day for weeks. EVERYBODY wants trees. Nobody HAS trees. We could have sold every tree last years 10 times over and still would have been turning people away. THIS year..........we're not able to even supply all of our EXISTING customers.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
So you raise Christmas trees Yoder ? We've got a Christmas tree farm just up the road here. I used to help them plant and trim in the spring/summer.

Yessir. I do, indeed.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nice Yoder!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those are some great looking trees! Great pruning.

We do ok on keeping up with supply on trees - the hard par it roping, wreaths, grave blankets, etc. Heck - doing 55k wreaths a year and could likely double it IF we could get the brush cut and the homemakers to make them.

Actually - that truck used to do all the deliveries but so busy, impossible to do it. Gotten some of our larger florist customers to do CPU and pay that bill - which is nice. We'll never let the truck go tho because it's just part of who we are and my uncle's life his whole life. Has a rebuilt N14 in it and gets an honest 14mpg - loaded on trips from MI down to Chicago/Indy/St Louis etc.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We're also an easy "human interest story" for local news

[img]
[/img]

Me

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Nice Yoder!

Originally Posted by Teal
Those are some great looking trees! Great pruning.

Thanks, fellers.

I'm pretty fussy about our shearing. I taught my dad (he's been gone for 8 years) and my older brother and it's been just us doing the shearing the whole 45 years. I've seen too many tree farms totally ruined by hiring the shearing out to crews of buffoons. Not happening, here.

We do wholesale bough orders by the trailer load. But never got much into the wreath making. Just too much to do already and not enough hours in the day, week, month, year...........

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice tree farm too bAd your an old scramudgedon....

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice video Teal....I have a buddy I shoot shotguns with all the time that his dad had a Christmas tree farm in Lousiana. I figured they all were grown up North.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
Nice tree farm too bAd your an old scramudgedon....

I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
And THIS...........is why black bears suck and we kill them..........

ONE of the reasons, anyways. They're also tied for first place with coyotes here for fawn mortality. And they just suck...........

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
And THIS...........is why black bears suck and we kill them..........

ONE of the reasons, anyways. They're also tied for first place with coyotes here for fawn mortality. And they just suck...........

Black bears hate Christmas.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Yessir. I do, indeed.
That's cool. I love Christmas and all that goes with it. We still cut a concolor fir that goes clear to the ceiling from the tree farm up the road every year and decorate the ol' homestead to the max inside and out.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,721
Posts18,475,781
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.