-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have hard water as mentioned get a water softener and Filter system, it will save you in the long run. I have a Noritz as it’s what was in the house when we bought new in 2014. I also “flush” my system up to two times a year using white vinegar to help with the deposit buildup. I really don’t need do it anymore since I got the water softener and filter installed, but it’s insurance to me. When mine kicks the bucket I’m going with a Rinnai.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the tankless water heaters, in the right application.

They can make for a sizable savings for a retired couple, not so much so for a larger family.

For a cabin you're gonna let freeze down every winter, I'd go with a regular tank type water heater, gas or electric.

The internal plumbing with the tankless heaters have a lot of small voids that can be tricky to drain completely. One little tube or valve that traps water can freeze and burst a small tube or push gaskets out of a valve and you're screwed.

They're a good bit more complicated to repair as well.

Open the valve on the bottom of a standard water tank and pop open the pressure relief valve and you walk away knowing it's going to completely drain and be fine when you return.

[Linked Image from tanklesshotwaterguide.ca]

Rinnai replacement heat exchanger, $450.00

[Linked Image from cdnimg.webstaurantstore.com]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I watched a DIY cargo camper build the other night and the builder had made his HWH portable by mounting everything in a Pelican case and using quick connects like the "shark bites" connectors and PEX I use at my cabin. It was a pretty slick setup that allowed him to take the entire unit "home" where it wouldn't risk freeze damage in the winter.

I can't recommend an on demand as we went with a 40 gal tank, but I can recommend the Shark Bites. I've been connecting and disconnecting about a dozen each year for the last 10 and have not had to replace or had any type of leaks from any of them.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Limited experience here. I've had one on the house for a few months. It's a middle sized condensing model Navien. Our electric billed dropped 20-25% the first month. It replaced a 50 gal. dual element electric heater. Takes a little longer to get hot water to the end of system part of the house.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Have one for 12 years. Two solid freezes without any damage. The Houses around me in the subdivision also have them and when frozen, just needed to thaw out for a while with no prep. I would suggest erring a little on the safe side, but they are generally robust.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I have an off grid situation with a tankless at my bear camp in Northern MN.
Beauty.
Mine is a Bosch. It runs on LP. I drain in the winter, open up both sides and it drains clean.
I have hard iron water and manganese mixed in. No softener no problem.
Every 3-4 years I pop it off the wall, Turn it over and fill with CLR and let it sit a couple hours then turn and drain. Never had a problem with it.
I empty for the winter but I do leave the pilot on. Bugs like the propane taste and will get in and clog the gas line.
I’ve had this one maybe 15 years. I’m sure there are better models out there these days.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by bbassi
I watched a DIY cargo camper build the other night and the builder had made his HWH portable by mounting everything in a Pelican case and using quick connects like the "shark bites" connectors and PEX I use at my cabin. It was a pretty slick setup that allowed him to take the entire unit "home" where it wouldn't risk freeze damage in the winter.

I can't recommend an on demand as we went with a 40 gal tank, but I can recommend the Shark Bites. I've been connecting and disconnecting about a dozen each year for the last 10 and have not had to replace or had any type of leaks from any of them.

I like that idea... probably.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Great info everyone - thanks for all the input.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Sharkbites are great but way too expensive for general plumbing. Also, they tell you to not put them where you don't have access, like inside walls. They do have a potential for leaks although they do an excellent job of not leaking.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Navian largest unit installed in 2007 made it the best change for 2 adults in a home.....wife can take a shower up stairs and I can take one down stairs and never run out of water....my gas bill is lower that average for a home the size of mine....
When I installed the Navian cost was more than double of what a tank heater cost but has made up....

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Osky
Beauty.
Mine is a Bosch. It runs on LP. I drain in the winter, open up both sides and it drains clean.
Every 3-4 years I pop it off the wall, Turn it over and fill with CLR and let it sit a couple hours then turn and drain. Never had a problem with it.
I empty for the winter but I do leave the pilot on. Bugs like the propane taste and will get in and clog the gas line.
I’ve had this one maybe 15 years. I’m sure there are better models out there these days.

Osky

Are you on a well? Do you see any issues with any variable pump pressure?

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Originally Posted by Osky
Beauty.

Osky

Are you on a well? Do you see any issues with any variable pump pressure?

That has been my hesitation also...

I picked a couple clearance units at HD @ $100 or so... pressure was the big caution I read about.

Pondered double expansion tanks...

Not solved nor installed... WV cabins when I get them finished.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Sharkbites are great but way too expensive for general plumbing. Also, they tell you to not put them where you don't have access, like inside walls. They do have a potential for leaks although they do an excellent job of not leaking.

I wonder if hydraulic QDs would work on a suitcase idea?

I know Shark Bites well. Not the route I would go on a removable unit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our well pressure switch varies from 40 to 60lb. How would a tankless heater work with a 40lb pressure regulator ahead of it? That would keep it at a constant level.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W

The flow restriction through the QD's would be huge.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Our well pressure switch varies from 40 to 60lb. How would a tankless heater work with a 40lb pressure regulator ahead of it? That would keep it at a constant level.

Honestly... I do not know.

I was cautioned on pressure (maybe why the ones I got so cheap were clearanced).

The concept of tankless is great...

Many guys here have very positive opinions.

I have a small on-demand electric here in the kitchen... after 35-45 seconds it is cold. BUT that is no basis for a final opinion.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

The flow restriction through the QD's would be huge.

Ever high flow?

I honestly have no idea.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Maybe in conjunction with an accumulator.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Osky: I am in the same situation. They don't call it the iron range for nothing. Once a year i use an aquariam pump and circulate vineger thru the the tankless heater to clean out the small passages. Cheaper than buying a new temperature control unit.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I installed a Takagi TK1 running propane in a cabin in 2001. In this occasional use situation, I have only had one issue with the unit over the 21years, which I was able to fix myself (stuck flow-sensor impeller). We keep the furnace on low all winter, so I have not needed to drain it. I have not had any issues with a standard well system with a 40-60psi pressure switch.

I would offer two pieces of advice: 1) these are very high BTU, so ensure that your propane supply lines are adequately sized. 2) know your required temperature rise when looking at the delivery performance of the water heaters (desired hot water temp minus your well water temp).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (16gage, 117LBS, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,494,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.