Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Fighting pit bulls were originally bred to only attack other dogs. They were very easy to handle during a fight (who wants to get into the middle of two dogs like that) and would settle as soon as their handler put a hand on them. Breeders would want to breed for easy handling dogs to protect themselves.

Once they became popular, indiscriminate breeding didn’t take the care to make sure they bred out the human aggression. Now, it’s a mess.

Popularity has destroyed many good dog breeds. I’ve never like pit bulls but I understand the breeding part. Now, I would rather put a bullet in one that trust it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at the picture from the posted article of the Tennessee family, they appear to be "the All American" family. Attractive, neat, etc. Makes me wonder what in the hell they were thinking when they acquired two Pit bull dogs? What did they think the Pit bulls added to their lives? Had they never heard what Pit bulls do to people, especially children, when they "flip" and attack?

I don't know but it is certainly a question.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Raised identically, A Pitbull is no more likely to wrongly attack a human being than a Lab. The difference is in the effects of such attacks when they do occur. Being long bred for the capacity for massive damage while in attack mode, when they do attack, the results are typically grim, and they are extremely reluctant to quit. Their owners cannot allow them, therefore, to roam about unsupervised. The rare mean one is a very dangerous animal, since they have little to no fear of humans. Fortunately, the vast majority of them are more prone to friendliness towards people than the vast majority of popular breeds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Looking at the picture from the posted article of the Tennessee family, they appear to be "the All American" family. Attractive, neat, etc. Makes me wonder what in the hell they were thinking when they acquired two Pit bull dogs? What did they think the Pit bulls added to their lives? Had they never heard what Pit bulls do to people, especially children, when the
flip" and attack?

L.W.

My guess?
Rescues.

30 years ago the snobby owner was certain to mention (Full Blooded, Prue Bred, Has Pappers...) when their dog came up.

Today? "He is a rescue".

Most rescues if seen have been maladjustec, f''cked in the head POS.
Even in our bassackward hillbilly area most of the rescue dog pictures
I see are at least part Pit. (Imported?)

Pit tendencies +
very poor treatment as a young dog +
whatever you would call the pound/6 different "owners" thing =
a F'ing disaster waiting to happen.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It's the fault of the victims.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pits attack souly for the fun of it. Not out of fear. If you've ever seen a video of an attack, the tails are up and wagging.
It also seems that most of the problems occur when there are two or more of them working together.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Attacking and biting are a sport born out of boredom. Why does a wolf pack kill more animals than they can eat, it is called killing for the sport. Man is not the only animal to kill for sport.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Looking at the picture from the posted article of the Tennessee family, they appear to be "the All American" family. Attractive, neat, etc. Makes me wonder what in the hell they were thinking when they acquired two Pit bull dogs? What did they think the Pit bulls added to their lives? Had they never heard what Pit bulls do to people, especially children, when the
flip" and attack?
L.W.

My guess?
Rescues.

30 years ago the snobby owner was certain to mention (Full Blooded, Prue Bred, Has Pappers...) when their dog came up.

Today? "He is a rescue".

Most rescues if seen have been maladjustec, f''cked in the head POS.
Even in our bassackward hillbilly area most of the rescue dog pictures
I see are at least part Pit. (Imported?)

Pit tendencies +
very poor treatment as a young dog +
whatever you would call the pound/6 different "owners" thing =
a F'ing disaster waiting to happen.

The breed is a disaster

Two types of owners

Insecure males with daddy isssues
Or females with daddy issues who want to fix them

Last edited by ribka; 10/07/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Raised identically, A Pitbull is no more likely to wrongly attack a human being than a Lab. The difference is in the effects of such attacks when they do occur. Being long bred for the capacity for massive damage while in attack mode, when they do attack, the results are typically grim, and they are extremely reluctant to quit. Their owners cannot allow them, therefore, to roam about unsupervised. The rare mean one is a very dangerous animal, since they have little to no fear of humans. Fortunately, the vast majority of them are more prone to friendliness towards people than the vast majority of popular breeds.

Pit bulls are bred to fight other dogs or animals.

Lab are bred to find and retrieve fowl and be obedient to the hunter at all times.

They are not the same as each has deep genetic traits to drive their behavior.

If you need a dog to fight pigs don't get a lab.

If you need a dog to retrieve ducks in icy water don't get a Pit.

I would bet the dog in the OP did show agression but all the clues were missed.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
The beta male pit owner referred to his pits as lions so there’s a clue. Leaving small children with aggressive lions.

I hope this moron is charged with the deaths of his children

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Any dog that goes into a rage will not stop until killed or it kills the thing it's mad at.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My wife brought home a 4 yr old female pit bull that had been in a New Mexico puppy mill. Took me two years to teach her not to chase deer and elk…. Not to catch and kill every small animal on the rancho… and teach her that not every dog wandering into our place needed instant rough treatment….. once she almost killed a neighbor’s dog that made the mistake of nipping her during a “sniff up.”

But, this dog began to learn what I wanted and didn’t want…..when the dog figured that out, it became perfectly obedient. I’ve had dogs all my life and never had one that was so obedient and seemingly wanted to so “please the master” all the time.

The dog could also quickly figure out who was a friend and who was a stranger that needed watching. I was twice approached by other people with halfway aggressive dogs and she would circle behind me and stand between my legs. She would quiver with excitement and was just waiting for the okey dokey to “get em.”

Best companion dog I ever had….. but I would never own another one. What folks have been saying about “the switch” seems right on the mark to me. This dog…. “Harriet” …. did show that characteristic. When she was switched “on” …in “ready mode”….she would wait for my “trigger”….. If given, there was instant hell to pay and she was there to collect. It was like she would lose her mind for a bit. If triggered, I could not verbally call her off…. I had to grab her and get her to “remember me” so-to-speak.

They can be enjoyable dogs and I understand why folks like them….. but that “trigger” characteristic is real and potentially very dangerous.

I never allow them around the grandchildren….. never.

Last edited by TF49; 10/07/22.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA
Just my opinion but I think they could be comparable to a severely Autistic person, they have uncontrollable outbursts.

The ones I've been around seem to find simple situations difficult to understand.

To attack in what they may feel as a self defense situation comes by nature, they are all muscle and have extreme capabilities.

In short, being strong and dumb isn't a good combination.

I’ll go with Jeff’s opinion as well - only adding that ‘possibly’ small children walk funny and make noises these dogs associate with a threat.

Or, a kid or person who walks weird, in this breed of dogs mind, must be culled immediately.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I don't like Pits. Too many maul children and their owners. I know other breeds do it occasionally. For some reason pits make the news for doing it more than all other breeds combined.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The heeler mutt in my avatar was the best dog I’ve ever owned, trustworthy and sweet-natured and obedient to a fault.

One day I heard her growling and barking out back, I went out and the neighbors 8yo grandson was laughing, running up and down rattling a stick along the chain link fence, my dog was going beserk. I do believe she would have bitten that kid.

The point being dogs are dogs, they ain’t people and they operate on dog rules, which doesn’t include a human sense of right and wrong.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ribka
The beta male pit owner referred to his pits as lions so there’s a clue. Leaving small children with aggressive lions.

I hope this moron is charged with the deaths of his children

Naah, the guy weren’t the beta in that house. His dogs were 8 years old, his oldest child was just two, those dogs could have been there before he met his wife.

Clearly his wife weren’t the alpha to the dogs either, they turned on her and chewed the schzit out of her too.

The guy trusted those pits so much he bragged about them on Facebook.

What a tragedy 😕

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
I've always had a dog. My Brittany was almost 17 when he passed and I'll never fully get over it.

I now have a 3 year old mini Schnauzer. I read about the great tragedy in Tennessee. The two toddlers killed and the mother seriously mauled.

I can't understand it. These dogs didn't show any sign of aggression in the eight years the owners had them. If they had, since those kid's were the loves of their lives, the parents would have been more careful to say the least.

My question; why do pit bulls, or possibly any dog, all of a sudden go berserk and become killers. I'm a dog lover and would really like to know opinions why.

Pits were bred for centuries to be fighting dogs. When they go into fight mode, it's like they lose all control. They go into a "red zone" and basically go berserk. It was a virtue when two vicious dogs are locked into mortal combat, but not so much for a family pet. The problem is, unless you are a dog behavior expert and/or know how to handle and train dangerous dogs, you really shouldn't have any type of dangerous animal. I know of one pit that ran around with other "tame" dogs near a Ky State park. They graduated from chasing deer, to ripping apart an elderly neighbor that they saw every day and had been friendly with. It was a miracle a good samaritan was driving by and saved her. I really believe it is an instinct that they deep down enjoy.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Had a rescue dog that looked black lab/Rottweiler mix. Got it as a pup and it got along with my other dog and cat, never a problem. We had a baby about the same time and it grew up with our little boy. About 4 years into it, I noticed that if my little boy went near the dog while it was eating it would growl at him. I corrected him a couple times and thought that was the end of it. Once day my son wandered by and he nipped at him. I took the dog for a walk in the woods and that is where he is til this day.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by plumbum
Any dog can start biting, many do.

The difference is when pit bulls bite, it's destructive. They were bred to maul. Not just to bite.

This.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
OP, these pitbulls attacked for one reason and one reason only. They attacked because they were not dead.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 1,876 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,875
Posts18,497,665
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.