Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
When I started glass bedding, I only used Brownells release agent with glass bedding - that was quite a while ago. Then I started using car wax and someone on here wrote that car wax was a bad idea. Then I started using shoe polish and that works pretty well. But I was wondering if anyone used Hornady One Shot or Lyman Quick Slick Lube spray as a release agent and what the results were. Thanks ahead for your answers.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used Hornady One Shot on a few bedding jobs. No issues at all. The action did not release any easier or harder than what is included with the kit. Midway's Pro Bed 2000 has a good release agent as well if you are buying a single use kit.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by himmelrr
I have used Hornady One Shot on a few bedding jobs. No issues at all. The action did not release any easier or harder than what is included with the kit. Midway's Pro Bed 2000 has a good release agent as well if you are buying a single use kit.

Thanks for the reply. I have four or five different bedding compounds. Probably a lifetime supply, just because I like to try different things. But using One Shot as a release agent seems to be an excellent option. I'd think it would be a nice clean fit. Just didn't know if it would "release". Thanks again.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've done 5 or 6 bedding jobs with One Shot and have been very happy every time. With the spray on application, I never worry about missing a spot and getting a stuck stock like I did when I used to use paste wax.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by himmelrr

Thanks for the reply. I have four or five different bedding compounds. Probably a lifetime supply, just because I like to try different things. But using One Shot as a release agent seems to be an excellent option. I'd think it would be a nice clean fit. Just didn't know if it would "release". Thanks again.

You've been hiding under a big rock for years, haven't you?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have used paste wax (Johnsons or Minwax) for sixty years. I've never seen any reason to change. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be aware that epoxies are not timeless.

For best results their shelf life is months to about a year.

I get aviation epoxy given to me by an A&P mechanic.
I use it for anything at all if it's just out of date, you know they
build a safety margin. But I wouldn't want to use it for something
important if it was way old.

Doing a good bedding job is too much hassle, combined with the
what it's if it fails later, to save a few bucks on old products.

JMO

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Drinking buddy of mine favored Pam cooking spray,never had a problem l tend to favor the one shot but if it works who am I to judge

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My only oops was with the rub/brush on kind.

So some form of spray for me from now on.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bugger
When I started glass bedding, I only used Brownells release agent with glass bedding - that was quite a while ago. Then I started using car wax and someone on here wrote that car wax was a bad idea. Then I started using shoe polish and that works pretty well. But I was wondering if anyone used Hornady One Shot or Lyman Quick Slick Lube spray as a release agent and what the results were. Thanks ahead for your answers.
Johnson's paste wax - used it for over 20 years.. It just plain works..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by greydog
I have used paste wax (Johnsons or Minwax) for sixty years. I've never seen any reason to change. GD
Likewise. Except only Minwax.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm in the paste wax camp too, and have been for decades. I see no reason to switch. I believe y'all when you say the spray lube works, but I'll stick with my known protocols. Besides I would have to buy some of the stuff and it would gather dust outside of release agent use.

Ditto the observation re: epoxy shelf life. If it's more than a year old and has been opened it certainly isn't to be trusted for critical use. In our boat shop we consumed West System epoxy by the 50 gallon barrel, and being such a high volume consumer we were tutored constantly by WS reps (and courted by other makers). The education "straight from the horses mouth" so to speak was invaluable. (Anecdote: I've used West System thickened with colloidal silica numerous times to bed rifles and found it to work as well as anything else.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Brownell's accra Release spray will NEVER fail you with these instructions:

Degrease action twice with Brake cleaner, lug are and chamber also because epoxy does get in there

De grease stock screws twice, also

put on two coats of the spray Accra Release on the action and stock screws

Action will fall out of the stock.

Spray the action with the brake cleaner to remove Release Agent, easy peasy.

For new guys reading this thread, I have taught a lot of new guys over the years, they read where everyone is using wax, they try it. Within a short time, they are sticking guns in the stock or pulling parts of wood off of the stock. They have one heck of a time with epoxy getting into small hidden areas where the epoxy was difficult to impossible to be removed. It got so bad, that I told guys if they were using wax, they should immediately loose my phone number. Obviously, there is a learning curve with the wax.

For a new guy doing his first job, the Brownell's Spray Accra Release is the best insurance you can have as it deletes the "learning curve" or "common sense" that is necessary to use the Wax.

I taught a guy to reload not long ago, ex tool and die maker. He wanted to learn to bed his Rem 700's, so he read up on all the You Tubes with Wax. When he wanted to use the wax, we parted ways. He stuck a really nice Rem 700 Varmint and called me to want me to try and help him get it out of the stock. I gave him the phone number of a local gun smith because I knew that stock may crack and I did not want to get blamed. I have not seen or heard from that guy since.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'm in the paste wax camp too, and have been for decades. I see no reason to switch. I believe y'all when you say the spray lube works, but I'll stick with my known protocols. Besides I would have to buy some of the stuff and it would gather dust outside of release agent use.

Ditto the observation re: epoxy shelf life. If it's more than a year old and has been opened it certainly isn't to be trusted for critical use. In our boat shop we consumed West System epoxy by the 50 gallon barrel, and being such a high volume consumer we were tutored constantly by WS reps (and courted by other makers). The education "straight from the horses mouth" so to speak was invaluable. (Anecdote: I've used West System thickened with colloidal silica numerous times to bed rifles and found it to work as well as anything else.)

Don't know why I was told the paste wax was a bad idea by a fellow member here who I thought knew more than me??? I had been using it for decades, something about swirling??? I don't even know what that means.

I wonder what Epoxy WS reps were referring to? Was it their epoxy or all epoxies? I can't say I've ever seen any problem with the epoxies I'm using. Until now, I have not read anything about this.

I had enough polishing boots in a previous life. Now all my boot polish has run out. I have a couple cans of Hornady One Shot sitting around and thought that might work. I'll ask the 24-hour gunsmithing guys. The idea of a spray seemed like a good idea, if it works.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/08/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by keith
Brownell's accra Release spray will NEVER fail you with these instructions:

Degrease action twice with Brake cleaner, lug are and chamber also because epoxy does get in there

De grease stock screws twice, also

put on two coats of the spray Accra Release on the action and stock screws

Action will fall out of the stock.

Spray the action with the brake cleaner to remove Release Agent, easy peasy.

One coating of paste wax is all that's needed - no need for any of that stuff mentioned above. But - whatever.....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Same stuff you should be using on your boots...SnoSeal. And leave it on when you are done, excellent rust prevention. Good for wood as well. Jeez youse guys can make the simplest jobs so hard with special sauces, creams, unguents, curses, spells, incantations and exotic lubes (see Kroil thread).

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Has anyone tried floorwax? A local gunsmith I use uses floorwax and the last couple of bedding jobs he did have looked fantastic.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Same stuff you should be using on your boots...SnoSeal. And leave it on when you are done, excellent rust prevention. Good for wood as well. Jeez youse guys can make the simplest jobs so hard with special sauces, creams, unguents, curses, spells, incantations and exotic lubes (see Kroil thread).

Betcha K-Y Jelly works too. grin

Reminds me of the time I walked in on a local gunsmith who was chopping away on a rifle stock with a hatchet, amid some of the most vile profanity you ever heard. Seems a customer did his own epoxy bedding job, and....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Almost everyone knows KY is for f...kups, so to speak, and I have a vast array of experience on that.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by flintlocke

Betcha K-Y Jelly works too. grin

Reminds me of the time I walked in on a local gunsmith who was chopping away on a rifle stock with a hatchet, amid some of the most vile profanity you ever heard. Seems a customer did his own epoxy bedding job, and....

You ought to hear me cuss when I have to fix so called "competent" gunsmiths bedding jobs. It happens. Kind of like when I had to fix my sisters Bronco after 2 mechanics failed. Some guys just need to stay behind a desk and leave the real work to the men.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (12344mag, 160user, 338rcm, 22kHornet, 2UP, 20 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,448
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.