Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BillyE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I just got my Zeiss Victory HT back from warranty service. It was purchased as new old stock and had an issue with the illumination dial straight from the box. Zeiss fixed it under warranty. My S&B Polar seemed fine but now that it’s mounted, the illumination dial on it is now acting up. It’s going back also. I know this is what warranty is for, but 0 for 2 doesn’t feel so good. So far, I’ve had to rely on my old Leupolds to keep me going through this season

Last edited by BillyE; 10/10/22.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So stick with Leupold if you don’t see the value in expensive scopes. I can’t reasonably afford top of the line Zeiss or S&B but if I had money to burn they would be high on my list.

The value in the best scopes should be Not needing the warranty service otherwise you could just buy Vortex.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BillyE
So far, I’ve had to rely on my old Leupolds to keep me going through this season

Scary thought.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bellydeep
So far, I’ve had to rely on my old Leupolds to keep me going through this season

Scary thought.
SUPER SCARY. I recently got back a Leupold Vari-x II 3x9 from Leupold warranty service. They sent it back with thje power ring on backwards. When the dial read 3x you were actually on 9x and vice versa. Doesn't get much poorer than that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stevevan1

Scary thought.
SUPER SCARY. I recently got back a Leupold Vari-x II 3x9 from Leupold warranty service. They sent it back with thje power ring on backwards. When the dial read 3x you were actually on 9x and vice versa. Doesn't get much poorer than that.

That is kind of hilarious...I'd keep it just to mess with my in laws wink

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Very bad luck, in a concentrated form. In the 45+ years I have owned alpha glass, I have not had one issue, ever. I feel bad for you to have to down grade so much to a Leopold after spending so much on alpha glass.

Of all the scopes I ever I owned many of American origin, the only scope I consistently had issues with and gave up on was Leupolds.

You experience is very unusual.

B
BillyE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
Very bad luck, in a concentrated form. In the 45+ years I have owned alpha glass, I have not had one issue, ever. I feel bad for you to have to down grade so much to a Leopold after spending so much on alpha glass.

Of all the scopes I ever I owned many of American origin, the only scope I consistently had issues with and gave up on was Leupolds.

Can’t say it was a downgrade as much as a failed upgrade. I’ve used Leupolds for decades…never had any trouble. But the glass on these newer scopes is another league. So I can stick it out a bit longer. I am surprised to have these issues. And the same basic function (illumination control) is falling on each. I really thought I had a bad run of batteries but that wasn’t it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So many Leupold haters on hbere. I stick with Leupold for quality scopes. Not the cheap VX 1 or VX2, go with the upper VX 5 or VX 6 and you will have something to last. It was the original Vari X III model that made them what they are. Rock solid and does not move. Find a LPS and it will last forever and built like a tank. Do not buy the low end [bleep] and expect LPS quality. I would put the LPS up against most all scopes. It is right there with Zeiss Divari

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Leupold's. I won't trust them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
VariX - II 3x9 , that Scope must be 30 yrs old and your just noticing the X-numbers are backwards?

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by stevevan1

Scary thought.

Sounds like Brandons way of administrating. The op may just be better off with Leupolds. Get rid of those top tier scopes..

Originally Posted by FSJeeper

Yep, I finally had to give up on Leupold. Too many issues. I have 1 that I hang on to though, as it does alright. Its an old Vari-x IIc Tactical 3-9x40 with target turrets. All the other Leupolds I tried went to hell in a handbasket.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by erich
VariX - II 3x9 , that Scope must be 30 yrs old and your just noticing the X-numbers are backwards?
Read the post. Just got it back recently from warranty where it was disasembled and put back together wrong.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What is a Zeiss Victory XT?

B
BillyE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
What is a Zeiss Victory XT?

HT, sorry

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maybe the electronics parts are outsourced.

So far, I’ve owned lit scopes from Leupold (1), Hawke (4), and Trijicon (4). The only issue was a brief one with the Leupy dial, which may have been dirt or some such as it cleared up quickly. The illumination features and controls have varied, but all have been useful in some way or another. I think it’s wise to pick a reticle that’s good when unlit as well, and have come to prefer ones that have only a small portion illuminated, as the big shiny ones are a distraction and more likely to flare or otherwise obscure the view.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
“I had a Toyota that I couldn’t keep out of the repair shop.”
“Ya, Fords suck.”

About the same reasoning as some replies here.

(First rule of the optics forum. The more you bash Leupold, the higher your personally perceived place in the rifle scope knowledge hierarchy. )

“Those other posters will know I’m the real deal.”😂

Last edited by battue; 10/10/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
“Ya, Fords suck.”

(First rule of the optics forum. The more you bash Leupold, the higher your personally perceived place in the rifle scope knowledge hierarchy. )

He's bashing top tier scopes. It's like me saying my Nightforce scopes suck, I'm going back to Barska.. Those that sayu they have never had issues with Leupold, I am highly skeptical of. As they likely do not shoot much..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[quote=battue]It's like me saying my Nightforce scopes suck, I'm going back to Barska..

This sums up this post nicely. I can't imagine a better arrangement of words.

Leupold does make the best ultra light fixed power scope in the marketplace with the 2.5 fixed power. That is the only one I never had any issues with.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 10/10/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by battue
“Ya, Fords suck.”

He's bashing top tier scopes. It's like me saying my Nightforce scopes suck, I'm going back to Barska.. Those that sayu they have never had issues with Leupold, I am highly skeptical of. As they likely do not shoot much..

Looks more like he baited the water and the fish jumped in the boat....And often the same fish get caught again and again....Had three fish in the boat with the first four posts. laugh

Last edited by battue; 10/10/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Labor shortage, supply chain issues, working around lockdowns. Seriously, there are a lot of goods that have been manufactured (or repaired) the last couple years where quality has suffered.

Over the past 2 years I've purchased two new Forster seater dies--one barely worked, the other wouldn't work at all. I have 2-3 hours invested in sanding and polishing the parts of the dies to get them to work. I have a dozen or so Forster seaters from the 80's onward that work wonderfully. I probably should have sent the screwed up dies back to Forster, but was afraid I would just get a repeat.

I think this Wuhan Virus era may go down as not the best time period for manufactured goods.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

456 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 44 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,505
Posts18,472,278
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.