Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OlRufus Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
12 yr. old granddaughter interested in shooting/ hunting. Thinking she needs a youth model so she doesn’t get discouraged by not being able to position her arms and eyes correctly.
Don’t want to make a major investment here since she’ll grow out of it so in 2-3’years.
Has anyone had any experience with the Savage Rascal?
Thanks

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement! 🥴
GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I've purchased Rascals for two of my nephews and they've been excellent starter rifles for them. The boys have shot them extensively and haven't had any problems out of them.

They have good triggers and come with very usable peep sights. After they had used them with the factory sights for a few years, I went ahead and scoped them. Their accuracy is very impressive for what they are.

I like them so much that I have a brand new pink one in the safe waiting until my newest niece is old enough to start shooting. I don't think you can go wrong with one for a kid's first gun, and I think they're a lot better option than some of the other similar youth guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a CZ Scout for ME!

I had a 1" pad installed to make the LOP work better for "big people"

Then bought a 5 round mag. to replace the single shot adapter.

It's a GREAT little rifle for shooting sage rats out of a truck window.

(legal in Oregon on private property)

This would make a great kids rifle, then add a 1" pad when they out grow the short stock.

Virgil B.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
IMO this is the one to get if you have a Sportsmans Warehouse near you - this would make her a life-time rifle rather than a temporary childs rifle.

CZ 457 Scout $349.99

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...teshooter.com&utm_campaign=Easy+Link

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a Savage Cub (predecessor to the Rascal) for each of my boys when they were little. Great little guns and surprisingly really accurate. I put Nikon 4x rimfire scopes on them. They shot them all of the time and both plan on giving them to their children when they have some someday. Until then, I keep one of them in the shop with some CB loads handy.

Drover has a good suggestion too. At 12, she may outgrow the Rascal pretty quick. My boys got their Cubs when they were 6, so they had several years that they used them. At her age, you might consider Drover's suggestion.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes on the Scout or Rascal.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
If she is smaller framed, a Henry mini bolt is what all my kids learned to shoot on. Super light, no plastic parts in the bolt, great sights. Only downside is, it’s a single shot.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
But I agree with the above posts, any true “kids guns”, she will outgrow in the first season.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
OlRufus,

Sent you a PM

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I don't have a CZ 457 scout, but I've seen several examples of them where folks have swapped the action and barrel into American or Lux stocks. That would make a nice adult sized rifle when a kid grows and matures.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
That CZ Scout looks like a good choice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Limbsaver slip-on pads could make the rifle last a bit longer without any smithery needed. I used one on my Howa Mini with a youth stock before I upgraded.

Easy on and off, unlike the old brown ones I grew up with.

If you go with the CZ, start looking for the adult stock right away. Their accessories come and go. I’m signed up for an American Varmint model myself.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
P
I bought a cz 452 scout 10 years ago the kids love it the 457 is even better

O
OlRufus Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for all the replies. Good info and advice in each one. I’m thinking we’re probably going to go with the Scout .

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement! 🥴
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
my scout got a facelift today....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got two CZ 455 Scouts, and I picked up two synthetic stocks (grown-up sized). I use them more than my other .22 rifles combined. Short, light, handy, threaded for suppressors already, great iron sights. I've also got longer-barrelled CZ 455s, and the shorter rifles shoot noticeably better than the longer ones. (all are scoped with similar rimfire scopes, so that's a valid comparison).

Considering how great the pocket rifles shoot, and their handiness, and you can upgrade them to your heart's content, it would actually be a very smart investment over the life of the child, since they can use it until they give it to THEIR grandkids. These are not cheap throwaway rifles, they're true worthwhile guns.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
good lookin camo job!

how did you mount that reflex sight?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Wow didn't realize you could get a scout for so cheap and I like that you can change the stock. I've seen rascals and have friends who have bought them but the CZ route seems nice.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RelaxRun
Wow didn't realize you could get a scout for so cheap and I like that you can change the stock. I've seen rascals and have friends who have bought them but the CZ route seems nice.

Correction, the local Sportsmans Warehouse said they couldn’t get them but their website shows them as orderable.

Last edited by 24HourCampFireGuy50; 10/17/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,062
Posts18,482,445
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.