Print Thread
Hop To
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bought some new Hornady brass several months ago, in 22 hornet. It would not eject from my Win 1885 rifle, but Win and PPU brass ejected just fine.
Just now a friend gave me several hundred pieces of mixed head stamp 22 hornet brass. I was resizing it and did not separate by brand. In the first 20, three of the brass pulled the deprime pin out of the stem on my Redding die.
I had to drive out the pin from the flash hole with a punch. It was stuck very tight. I tried a couple more Hornady brass, same result. The other brass was Win, Rem , PPU and FC. All of the non Hornady brass resized and deprimed just fine.
The Hornady brass was tossed and I sure as hell will never buy it again.

NRA Patron
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Then on the other hand, I've got Hornady brass for my 6.5 Grendal.

Not by choice mind you, but it was all that has been available...

That stuff is holding up like a brick...load development, pushing it to the edge to find out where it is...
Then downloaded with Blue Dot etc, to find out where the minimums and maximums are...

Got several groups of 10 in ziplock bags, that just passed their 30th reloads...

Used in a Bolt Action Ruger Predator... have loaded bullets from 85 grain HPs to 140 gr SP....finding out where redline is, and have only had to scrap 4 or 5 cases...low loss ratio consider the number of reloads and testing I have done..

It use to seem that the strongest brass for Remington based cartridges came from Winchester... and the strongest brass on Winchester developed cartridges came from Remington...must be a Ford/Chevy thing...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I would suspect bad brass slips out the door occasionally from every manufacturer. Generally, I've had good results with Hornady, just like all other makes of brass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Then on the other hand, I've got Hornady brass for my 6.5 Grendal.

Not by choice mind you, but it was all that has been available...

That stuff is holding up like a brick...load development, pushing it to the edge to find out where it is...
Then downloaded with Blue Dot etc, to find out where the minimums and maximums are...

Got several groups of 10 in ziplock bags, that just passed their 30th reloads...

Used in a Bolt Action Ruger Predator... have loaded bullets from 85 grain HPs to 140 gr SP....finding out where redline is, and have only had to scrap 4 or 5 cases...low loss ratio consider the number of reloads and testing I have done..

It use to seem that the strongest brass for Remington based cartridges came from Winchester... and the strongest brass on Winchester developed cartridges came from Remington...must be a Ford/Chevy thing...

The Hornady brass I have for my 6 CM and Grendel is fine as well. None has been loaded more than 4 times, and those are going aside until I decide to start annealing. Have 200 Starline to try out, which is a bit lighter. The Starline 6mm brass is heavier than Hornady, go figure.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some brass brass has a smaller flash hole that SAAMI spec.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lotech
I would suspect bad brass slips out the door occasionally from every manufacturer. Generally, I've had good results with Hornady, just like all other makes of brass.

Same here. The only one I dispise is the Winchester in the red and black bags I bought a couple years ago. I really hope it has improved!!! I hear guys crying about Hornady brass, but from my experience, it mirrors seafires. It's been good to me, so I keep using it. Just bought 2 bags of new Hornady brass for my 6.5 creedmoor rifles and it seems to be good schidt, just like the rest that was loaded in factory 6.5 creedmoor American Gunner ammo. Couldn't pass up the deal on that stuff when it was $149/200 rounds a couple years ago. It even came in a nice plastic ammo box...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Not a huge fan of Hornady brass but get a Forster die....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Recent manufacture Hornady 7mm-08 I have has been fine. Hornady .22 Hornet from several years ago was too.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve had no problems with Hornady brass

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
What you are describing is the exact opposite of what I went through when forming my 22 K Hornet brass. I used Hornady, Winchester, WW super (another Winchester) and Nosler(250 count). For me, Hornady was the only one that had 100% survival rate. The failures on the others were split cases. Nosler was the worst at about 50%. Although Nosler was bad, the ones that survived have been the best brass so far in terms of consistency and long term use. I have over 14 loads on them. I’m thinking you had a bad batch of brass.

Last edited by PaintedDesert; 10/11/22.
IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Hornady 223 brass has been great in my rifles.

Last edited by Yaddio; 10/11/22.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven’t used Hornady brass in years. I have always felt the primer pockets loosened up faster than brass from other manufacturers. Nowadays, I guess what ever we can find?
QM

NRA Life Member

"You might as well be wrong, as be right and not know it"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Might depend on cartridge.

Hornady brass for .375R has been excellent. I've bought it in three different lots, all good. First batch was run "to death" by FL sizing and shooting. I do not anneal anything. They made it to 14, at which point there were partial separations. Pockets never loosened. This is good, inasmuch as they're the only game in town for .375R.

My experience with Hornady in .308 Win is exactly opposite Quartermaster's. Pockets remain tighter till end of life vs any other brass I've ever used. Otherwise, weight variations are no more or less than RP, Win, FC. Maybe a little greater than my LC LR, and a little lower than LC. Don't use the expensive Lapua/Norma/Nosler/eieio stuff. So maybe Hornady pales in that comparison.

Hornady 7-08 brass also gtg, IMO, though haven't loaded it to death yet.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I have some very early Hornady .308 win brass that was very bad.

So it left a bad impression on me so I always avoided it.

Now comes a .300 Win Mag. "october 2022" and I have some cases but they are Hornady.

Anyway, they worked and are still going strong on their 5th loading.

But that was just a pile of brass, new range pickups that a guy next to me was sighting in a deer rifle and left all this brass on the ground.....wasteful FUDD.

So they came home with me.

Now its all NORMA for said 300 win mag.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sam_H
Might depend on cartridge.

Hornady brass for .375R has been excellent. I've bought it in three different lots, all good. First batch was run "to death" by FL sizing and shooting. I do not anneal anything. They made it to 14, at which point there were partial separations. Pockets never loosened. This is good, inasmuch as they're the only game in town for .375R.

My experience with Hornady in .308 Win is exactly opposite Quartermaster's. Pockets remain tighter till end of life vs any other brass I've ever used. Otherwise, weight variations are no more or less than RP, Win, FC. Maybe a little greater than my LC LR, and a little lower than LC. Don't use the expensive Lapua/Norma/Nosler/eieio stuff. So maybe Hornady pales in that comparison.

Hornady 7-08 brass also gtg, IMO, though haven't loaded it to death yet.

That is what I'm thinking. Seems that way with other manufactures as well. My experience mirrors yours. I use a shidt load of Hornady brass, from 22-250, 308w, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, and a couple others. It's always been great. I'm also wondering if the older Hornady brass was of poor quality? Maybe some bad lots here and there??? That happens with every manufacture. To make note of how certain components shoot, I'll usually list what brass I'm using on the target. Anymore, if I'm getting close to 1" 3 shot groups at 400 yards, I don't sweat the small stuff:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And when the brass is holding up well and concentricity is good, that tells me it's good stuff.. Now, if neck tension was all over the place or excessively loose and primer pockets were failing after 3 loadings I would not be using it. I have some newer Winchester brass that is garbage like that.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by lotech

Same here. I have a batch of 7mm-08 which is very good.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1moredeer, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,409
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.