Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nothing more than an excuse. One either makes the best product they can or they slow down, make less, while not tarnishing the brand. Amazing that companies such as Apple could still make a quality product, while others use Covid as an excuse.

Last edited by battue; 10/10/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

B
BillyE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Not baiting or bashing any product, just sharing experiences. I think it was some extraordinarily bad luck. Zeiss was easy to work with on the repair. Took about 8 weeks because it went to Germany. Haven't moved forward with the S&B yet but will update once it is resolved.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
Very bad luck, in a concentrated form. In the 45+ years I have owned alpha glass, I have not had one issue, ever. I feel bad for you to have to down grade so much to a Leopold after spending so much on alpha glass.

Of all the scopes I ever I owned many of American origin, the only scope I consistently had issues with and gave up on was Leupolds.

You experience is very unusual.

That's interesting. I've owned multiples of Swarovski and Zeiss scopes, going back "only" 30 years, and have had "issues" with several of both.

Saw earlier that somebody regarded Nightforces as "alpha" scopes. Have had two where the adjustments quit functioning correctly.

Any scope can have issues. Some are more likely to, but they all can.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BillyE
Not baiting or bashing any product, just sharing experiences. I think it was some extraordinarily bad luck. Zeiss was easy to work with on the repair. Took about 8 weeks because it went to Germany. Haven't moved forward with the S&B yet but will update once it is resolved.

For your future desire to share riflescope experiences. When you share them here on the fire, and they refer Alpha scope failures, it is guaranteed to bring out the Leupold haters. The bait is too irresistible.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Scope failure conversations bring out the Leupold homers too.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Scope failure conversations bring out the Leupold homers too.

Of course, brand loyalty is not exclusive to the Alphas, who beat them up at every opportunity. Most Leupold homers are happy to say they are satisfied with their choice and let it be. The Alpha gang not so much.

Addition: The Leupold homers have been brow beaten to the point that many, hoping to stay acceptable, will say, "Of course, I'm not a twister." If they don't twist, how do they know? It's hilarious.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I use many Leupolds, but I've unfortunately had some trouble with a few.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sooner or later brand loyalty will bite you in the azz. Companies get lazy, sloppy, change their business philosophy, and quality, service, etc can go in the toilet. How many “Under New Management” signs have you seen, folks trying to bring back disaffected customers?

If stuff I buy works, I’ll buy more. If it doesn’t, or they start to slip, I move on. I don’t defend them, or make excuses. There’s always someone else, just like there’s more pretty girls than one.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by BillyE
So far, I’ve had to rely on my old Leupolds to keep me going through this season

Scary thought.

No poop 💩

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might also mention that it's pretty easy to not have "issues" with scopes: Don't shoot very much.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No issues to report with my VX-5...will buy another.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Might also mention that it's pretty easy to not have "issues" with scopes: Don't shoot very much.
Haha, very true!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

And many big game hunters don't.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Funny part is and when I asked a question about comparing other scope so Billy here the op just threw a f****** hissy fit multiple times on the thread because it was made in China which I get and I kind of understand and it's top of the line s*** f***** him over that's f****** hilarious

B
BillyE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ldholton
Funny part is and when I asked a question about comparing other scope so Billy here the op just threw a f****** hissy fit multiple times on the thread because it was made in China which I get and I kind of understand and it's top of the line s*** f***** him over that's f****** hilarious

Wow you’re sensitive

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Serious question. This gets brought up in every scope XXX sucks thread.

Guy claims scope XXX sucks but all the pics are of pristine looking guns and the rifle/scope combo look new cause the combo spends its life riding the bench with lots of rounds in paper.

Next guy says same scope XXX has held up well to bouncing around in an ATV/UTV, saddle scabbard, falls, etc. Rifle scope combo shows scratches, dents and dings from a lot of time in the field but is only shot 100 times a year.

Who’s opinion is more valid? I lean towards the guy that basses it off of “hunting” conditions vs round count at the range if we’re talking scopes for hunting.

If both guys claim scope XXX sucks, it’s a no brainer. Yes, there are a few guys that fall in to both categories, but most fall in to one or the other.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

Guy claims scope XXX sucks but all the pics are of pristine looking guns and the rifle/scope combo look new cause the combo spends its life riding the bench with lots of rounds in paper.

Next guy says same scope XXX has held up well to bouncing around in an ATV/UTV, saddle scabbard, falls, etc. Rifle scope combo shows scratches, dents and dings from a lot of time in the field but is only shot 100 times a year.

Who’s opinion is more valid? I lean towards the guy that basses it off of “hunting” conditions vs round count at the range if we’re talking scopes for hunting.

If both guys claim scope XXX sucks, it’s a no brainer. Yes, there are a few guys that fall in to both categories, but most fall in to one or the other.
Both activities test the scope’s zero retention. I expect scopes to stand up to both, and if zero is shifting as a result of either high-volume shooting or bumps and bruises, the scope isn’t performing how I expect my scopes to perform. IMO, the answer is “both,” rather than either/or.

Additionally, small samples are less meaningful than a larger sample size. If a guy has experience with several of a given model of scope and carries/shoots a lot with them, it adds validity to the opinion of the scope.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I would agree with everything you said. In my experience/circle, few can make an opinion based off both hard use and high volume shooting. You’d be one here I’d say has a valid opinion based off both.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by SLM

Both activities test the scope’s zero retention. I expect scopes to stand up to both, and if zero is shifting as a result of either high-volume shooting or bumps and bruises, the scope isn’t performing how I expect my scopes to perform. IMO, the answer is “both,” rather than either/or.

Additionally, small samples are less meaningful than a larger sample size. If a guy has experience with several of a given model of scope and carries/shoots a lot with them, it adds validity to the opinion of the scope.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It happens.

I had to send a Nightforce NXS back a few months ago after the illumination stopped working, and several years ago, a very expensive US Optics SN3 I ordered (which took several months to get) came with an obvious flaw in the reticle. Both were quickly repaired, no questions asked from either company.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (1OntarioJim, 41rem, 16penny, 35, afisher, 12 invisible), 1,635 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,494
Posts18,472,105
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.