Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was suppose to go to our hunting spot in Perry county Ohio. It was my intention to call in those hollows for coyote. Bags packed, ammo loaded, rifle zero verified. Then it all gets flushed.

The thing is I won't do this alone anymore. Getting older (63), some health issues, I don't see it as safe. In the past ( my 20's and early 30's) I would simply disappear for as much as 2 weeks. I'd toss some food in the truck and run Wayne national forest squirrel hunting. That with my 22lr or my 32 cal flint lock.

What the years change.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I will hunt alone but would rather hunt with someone

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I was suppose to go to our hunting spot in Perry county Ohio. It was my intention to call in those hollows for coyote. Bags packed, ammo loaded, rifle zero verified. Then it all gets flushed.

The thing is I won't do this alone anymore. Getting older (63), some health issues, I don't see it as safe. In the past ( my 20's and early 30's) I would simply disappear for as much as 2 weeks. I'd toss some food in the truck and run Wayne national forest squirrel hunting. That with my 22lr or my 32 cal flint lock.

What the years change.

I still deer hunt alone, usually archery. I'm older than you. Only worry is when I climb in/out of tree.

-Ken

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I'll help others on their hunts, but my hunts are mine, and alone. Wife doesn't like it since I broke my leg in 09 on an elk hunt. She also knows I don't care if I die out hunting.

Kent

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I still hunt alone sometimes. I'm 65 with some health issues myself. I now carry a SPOT locator with me whenever out in the woods. Mainly gives the wife peace of mind.
I'd rather die in the woods doing what I love than in bed at home watching how the stomach turns or the view.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’m 71 and still hunt alone, when there’s nobody to hunt with me. I mostly bow hunt, and do use tree stands, but I wear a harness and use a safety line 100%. I hope to have many more years of hunting, alone or not.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
At 59 I hunt alone on 3 places, but primarily on our own acreage.

All of which I have intimate knowledge of[my own, my stepfathers farm and best friends family prop].
A vehicle can be driven to within 100 yards of my stands on all of the above.
I only go 'up' using ladder stands or in one built condo these days.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I still go alone sometimes, but Wifey ain’t liking it anymore.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
64 here,sitting in trees all of deer season is what I do for fun,sport,and adrenaline.Nothing else quite like it.Getting in and out of dew or ice covered stands is not the safest activity out there,but life without risk is not life. Now if they would just open a season for lefties and demorats I think life would be complete.Happy hunting,and keep those broadhead razor sharp.

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
At 67 I still hunt alone. Hunted with a friend during dove season it reminded me why I hunt alone...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker
I still hunt alone sometimes. I'm 65 with some health issues myself. I now carry a SPOT locator with me whenever out in the woods. Mainly gives the wife peace of mind.
I'd rather die in the woods doing what I love than in bed at home watching how the stomach turns or the view.
true that

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm nearing 60, been hunting alone my entire life, it started when I was around 13, used to drive my mother nuts going out for several days alone.
Like others, I would rather die out in the bush rather than a hospital bed.

I hunt with my Son when he can make it, but otherwise have no problem being alone, one advantage is I don't gotta follow a plan with another hunter, and I don't have to look out for another hunter.
One shouldn't be shocked if you shoot something a couple miles from camp just before dark because its your fault lol.

At 60, I play it safe, I always let my family know where I am, I check in a couple times a day through text, service is not always available and I have to get to a high spot on the land.

I have also learned, you never are really alone.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
M
I’m 75 and still hunt already ne. Albeit it is fun to hunt with someone who can be trusted. I have found that my schedule is not always someone else’s. Plus, I can be independent and hunt where and when I choose. I will hunt mid Montana soon and given fuel prices are up I will sleep in my rig. Good ‘nuff! MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My last solo hunt was in 2018. I was 75 then. I had a heck of a time loading my 6x6 bull onto my mule. When I got back to my truck, I had to ask for help to unload it. Since then I have deal with very good friend that is an outfitter. She will send a packer out to load my elk and pack it back to her base camp where she has a walk in cooler.

Looks like I will be hunting solo in 2023. My hunting partner can't afford a rental horse now. I am not in the best of health,but if I can get there, I will go.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will hunt alone but I am much more careful at 60 than 22. I prefer to have someone close enough to get to me in a timely basis.
I hunt 9 hrs from home so generally plan around other guys being on the property when I am.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Lost my hunting partners, family not interested, either I hunt alone or not at all. So I go. Carry a satellite locator beacon for real emergency in the woods, that is if I'm aware enough and conscious to be able to push the button. If not.........oh well.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I'm getting up there, but will still hunt alone as long as I have cell coverage and folks know where I will be and my estimated time in the woods

Sam......

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
If you have cell coverage, you might find a friend who wants the hangin' around camp experience but who isn't interested in hunting?

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Armednfree
The thing is I won't do this alone anymore. Getting older (63), some health issues, I don't see it as safe.

So you die in the woods doing what you love, what could be so bad about that?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I hunted 5 days by myself, and 2 days with a hunting buddy. When I was by myself I was almost glad not to get a mule deer up on the mountain. With my bud, getting a deer and packing it out would have been ok. I was pretty tired after my hunt. In the future I may hunt alone, but I’ll do easier hunts.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,494 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.