Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
When in high school we would go into the backyard to feed the two english pointer pups I had raised and often find the water spicket turned on after a hot day.

Found out the male, Lucky, would grab the handle and twist his head to turn it on, then lay under it belly up.

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/11/22.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Teal
All one needs to do is spend about 1/2 a day with a good dog in the field - upland or ducks and you'll understand they're wicked smart and could replace 1/2 the posters here.

I have had several dogs way smarter than the average millennial.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Teal
All one needs to do is spend about 1/2 a day with a good dog in the field - upland or ducks and you'll understand they're wicked smart and could replace 1/2 the posters here.

They might be wicked smart but I've yet to see one that can type. -tnscouter
Go Pack

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
My friend has a service dog that can sense when is blood sugar is out of wack… by te smell of is breath. Dog is trained. Not necessarily smart

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Beagles are so Smart

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel
When a dog places in a spelling bee somewhere, then I will think more of their intelligence, until then, they like all dogs, cats and horses are animals...

I have a dog that has learned what 1/2 dozen spelled words mean from paying attention to what happens when we spell words we do not want her to recognize at that particular time. Close enough for you? That requires recognizing the situation and then applying the knowledge that we are using a different set of audible clues to what will happen, then to follow what transpires and after that store away that tidbit of information to use the next time she hears the word spelled. Don't let anyone kid you about dogs not being capable of that level of abstraction. This one has a several hundred word vocabulary and she's an English Setter, a breed I consider to generally be pretty dumb compared to most. She's smart enough to ask my wife to tell me to do something I need to do for her if I am not paying attention when she asks me. She spells well enough to figure it out if we alternate saying each letter. Needless to say if she points something, I never question her. It may not always be a game bird, but she knows how to get me to handle whatever it is.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Smarter than many humans i tell ya.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome!

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by luv2safari
The dog was trained to do that.

There's a treat inside the oven, and it was trained how to get to the treat.

Smart dog!

Yeah, I think trained as well.

I've not seen one that could "reason" it's way through that.
They've done studies for reasoning ability with dogs, and they have been found not to have that ability to the degree illustrated in the video. Even when something like that was demonstrated to them by another trained dog over and over, they never learn by seeing it done.

Wolves, however, can. A wolf can be placed in a room with food out of reach, for example, and even though they cannot figure out how to solve the puzzle to get it, if they see a trained dog do it first, they can then learn by merely seeing it done. Not dogs, though, which makes the video above suspect.

Like I said, what was illustrated in the video is ape level reasoning, which would make it quite amazing if a dog did it.

The dog pulled a treat out of the oven that fell onto the floor. He jumped down and ate it.

He's been trained to get the treat out of the oven.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My beagle has a vocabulary of at least 100 words. Daisy is so smart it is scary.

This mutt may have been trained, but, I would not be surprised if she figured it out on her own.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Imagine if dogs had thumbs.

GOA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

They'd just jack off all day.

Like some here... laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m pretty sure my old border collie Lindy could drive, had I let her.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some of the Dutch shepherds and malinois I've worked with in the military and civilian world were insanely smart. Way beyond problem solving intelligence, they had (have) extensive vocabularies and understand complex concepts. Often when just spoken to about it.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

They'd just jack off all day.

Like some here... laugh

Boy, if only I could lick my balls........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Mini Aussie that will lay a full water bottle on its side and unscrew the cap. Drinks the water that flows out and then will push on the bottle with her paw to push more water out. She could unlatch the door on her crate when she was a puppy. I have seen her several times move chairs and other obstacles out her way to get to her toy when it rolls behind them. Im not talking about just wildly moving stuff she will set there and look at the obstacle and them make very deliberate actions to move it just like you or I would.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have seen dogs save kids from drowning and keeping hit by a car. They put themselves in danger for their owners. Dogs are the smartest.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (AKislander, 907brass, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 15 invisible), 1,983 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,891
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.