Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by TF49
Faith is crucial but let me point out that the seeker will be found by God. God will not be silent here. When found by God, the seeker knows it. When the Spirit lives within, one knows it.

Keep seeking..
That is exactly how it worked for me. Some things I was taught did not make sense. I was seeking the truth and I believe divine intervention opened my eyes and put me on the right path. The hardest part was to consider I might have been misled.

Are you saying that the Holy Spirit lives within you?

If so, on what basis do you make this statement?

Do you not believe the Holy Spirit fills you, is inside you?

Kent

I didn’t imply anything one way or the other. I simply asked a question for clarification.

Me too on your question.

Kent

The Holy Spirit is part of the Trinity and has "personhood".

The work of the Holy Spirit is setting aside and preserving the baptized believer. The Holy Spirit reveals God to men and converts men. The Holy Spirit puts new life into men and gives them a new spirit. The Holy spirit produces fruit in a believer.
So there are 3 Gods? And Jesus was actually God walking among men? That is complicated.

Correct. It is too complicated for our minds. Not three Gods but there’s persons in one God.

As a creature I don’t insist on God fitting within the limitations of my comprehension. A god that that can be reasoned and fit within the box of our thinking is no true god. There are many paradoxes in Christianity. That is one of the things that lends to the authenticity of orthodox teaching.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by antlers
The new atheists like Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins have made it crystal clear that their goal is to demolish Christianity. And they don’t try to do it under the false pretense of “sorting fact from fiction” and “fair and reasonable questioning and discussion” like certain atheists and anti-theists here do. Their posts clearly have nothing to do with “sorting fact from fiction” or “fair and reasonable questioning and discussion.” The agenda is clearly the same for those mentioned above, but at least Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins are honest about it.
What is their motive for wanting to demolish Christianity? I'm talking about the ones that post on this forum. Are they active agents of Satan or do they just not see a supernatural being as a plausible explanation for things as yet unexplained?

I don't think mauser and DBT are hostile agents of Satan. I think they just don't accept the idea of the supernatural and I can certainly understand how they would have doubts that a loving Father God would let things get so out of hand here on earth where you have half the world's humans ok with killing the other half and vice versa. You and I have trouble with God allowing or probably even ordering the annihilation of the tribe of Benjamin and every living human and animal (except Rahab's family) at Jericho. At the Benjamin massacre God said "Judah shall go first" and Benjamin was a tribe of Israel, sons and daughters of Abraham.

They may yet come around and believe but I don't think our arguments will convince them.

While I'm not sure of what Sam or Richard said, you can understand the reasoning behind that statement. Religion is used as a tool to control people using the most immoral means, under the blessing of the good word or interpretation thereof.

Your constitution tries to maintain a secular government but that is being undermined.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp
Faith is crucial but let me point out that the seeker will be found by God. God will not be silent here. When found by God, the seeker knows it. When the Spirit lives within, one knows it.

Keep seeking..
That is exactly how it worked for me. Some things I was taught did not make sense. I was seeking the truth and I believe divine intervention opened my eyes and put me on the right path. The hardest part was to consider I might have been misled.

Kent

I didn’t imply anything one way or the other. I simply asked a question for clarification.

Me too on your question.

Kent

The work of the Holy Spirit is setting aside and preserving the baptized believer. The Holy Spirit reveals God to men and converts men. The Holy Spirit puts new life into men and gives them a new spirit. The Holy spirit produces fruit in a believer.

So is the Holy Spirit inside or outside?

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
Why do you continue blaspheming the deity of Jesus, Hastings?
As to 2nd Corinthians, that was written by Paul. As far as what Jesus said about himself, I accept. Try reading the synoptic gospels, skip John and the rest through Hebrews, Pick back up at James and read through to the end of the Revelation of Jesus Christ. Without Paul chasing his tail you might think differently. He was an oddball to say the least and for some reason the Roman government went to a lot of trouble to save his hide.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The new atheists like Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins have made it crystal clear that their goal is to demolish Christianity. And they don’t try to do it under the false pretense of “sorting fact from fiction” and “fair and reasonable questioning and discussion” like certain atheists and anti-theists here do. Their posts clearly have nothing to do with “sorting fact from fiction” or “fair and reasonable questioning and discussion.” The agenda is clearly the same for those mentioned above, but at least Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins are honest about it.
What is their motive for wanting to demolish Christianity? I'm talking about the ones that post on this forum. Are they active agents of Satan or do they just not see a supernatural being as a plausible explanation for things as yet unexplained?

I don't think mauser and DBT are hostile agents of Satan. I think they just don't accept the idea of the supernatural and I can certainly understand how they would have doubts that a loving Father God would let things get so out of hand here on earth where you have half the world's humans ok with killing the other half and vice versa. You and I have trouble with God allowing or probably even ordering the annihilation of the tribe of Benjamin and every living human and animal (except Rahab's family) at Jericho. At the Benjamin massacre God said "Judah shall go first" and Benjamin was a tribe of Israel, sons and daughters of Abraham.

They may yet come around and believe but I don't think our arguments will convince them.

While I'm not sure of what Sam or Richard said, you can understand the reasoning behind that statement. Religion is used as a tool to control people using the most immoral means, under the blessing of the good word or interpretation thereof.

Your constitution tries to maintain a secular government but that is being undermined.

Mauser, I am curious....Who is in control of the religions that control people? If control is being exercised, there has to be someone doing the controlling. But who is that? Furthermore, are all of the sacred books that were written so long ago actually written with the intention of controlling people? Or, were they meant to be helpful and then used by others to control people? Was the Bible that was completed 2000 years ago and written by 40 different authors over 1600 years designed to control people? Was the Quran written 1400 years ago also written for this purpose? What about the Bhagavad-Gita, the Urantia Book, the Book of Mormon, etc. Did different people at different times decide to start religions in order to control people in their areas?

Last edited by Raspy; 10/11/22. Reason: spelling

Illegitimi non carborundum

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Every atheist deep down knows God exists.

Wrong. Even theists don't know a god exists. Faith is hope for things unseen.

Ah, come on, Mauser, you know God exists. Why are you BS-ing us, Mauser, you know God exists. You have chosen to live in the darkness and Unrighteousness. Your free will and your choice… So you have made your choice. You have made your bed. Lie in it, woo hoo, be happy.

What is it to you if we have chosen to follow Jesus as our Savior and Lord? You have rejected Jesus. Why are you so obsessed in what Christians believe? What is your obsession all about? Are you really that evil?

You have made your bed. Wallow in it, and leave Christians alone. What is your problem? Why can’t you answer a simple question: What is your obsession with those who believe in and follow Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior by faith? You have faith in your atheism…Tit for tat. Go be an atheist and have a happy life…

Just curious as to why you guys make such wild claims and have no concern about the actual truth in the matter. You're probably logical and rational in other areas of your life, yet compelled to give religion special dispensation to ignore reality and truth.

We have the truth. You’re the one in the dark.

Prove it.

Come on Mauser....you know folks here have discussed time and time again....remember this reply?

I believe Faith is the substance of things promised and hoped for, and evidence is of things not provably seen.

To be a Christian, you just need faith and true belief. But if one tries to branch out into trying to prove that God exists, you need more. And you’re ultimately dishonoring God because you’re not talking about faith in God, but trying to prove something you cannot prove while on earth.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I am curious....Who is in control of the religions that control people? If control is being exercised, there has to be someone doing the controlling. But who is that? Furthermore, are all of the sacred books that were written so long ago actually written with the intention of controlling people? Or, were they meant to be helpful and then used by others to control people? Was the Bible that was completed 2000 years ago and written by 40 different authors over 1600 years designed to control people? Was the Quran written 1400 years ago also written for this purpose? What about the Bhagavad-Gita, the Urantia Book, the Book of Mormon, etc. Did different people at different times decide to start religions in order to control people in their areas?

Mohammed wrote the Koran and put himself in charge. Joseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon and put himself in charge. Over and over we see that a book that founds a religion puts the author in charge. The Bible is different. All the way through it, it's God that's in charge, not any mortal man. None of the writers put themselves in charge, only God. The apostles clearly stated over and over that Jesus was God and that he's in charge. In the OT, the priests usurped God and tried to control everyone but that's not Biblical. In the 1st couple of centuries AD, the new RC church put itself in charge of Christianity. Their teachings and methods were nothing of what the Bible teaches. They murdered many thousands of people who wouldn't bow to the church and the pope. That's not Christianity in any form.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

Keep seeking..

Kent

Me too on your question.

Kent

So is the Holy Spirit inside or outside?

Kent

I’m not a church going guy but I believe the the spirit lives within us, and it it is up to each individual to choose to make certain decisions every day. Choose to do good things. Choose to be happy/joyous around others. Choose to help if you can. Don’t screw over someone else for your own benefit.

I guess if that is worth less than my 20 bucks in the offering plate then so be it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
…for some reason the Roman government went to a lot of trouble to save his (Paul’s) hide.
The Roman Emperor Nero had Apostle Paul imprisoned and then beheaded.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am curious....Who is in control of the religions that control people? If control is being exercised, there has to be someone doing the controlling. But who is that? Furthermore, are all of the sacred books that were written so long ago actually written with the intention of controlling people? Or, were they meant to be helpful and then used by others to control people? Was the Bible that was completed 2000 years ago and written by 40 different authors over 1600 years designed to control people? Was the Quran written 1400 years ago also written for this purpose? What about the Bhagavad-Gita, the Urantia Book, the Book of Mormon, etc. Did different people at different times decide to start religions in order to control people in their areas?
I am not sure if the originators of all the afore mentioned sects and religious factions set out to control people for nefarious purposes but in most cases there was a power grab. The rules Moses put out for the most part were designed to maintain order, peace, and health among a large fractious nomadic tribe that had to protect themselves and conquer their original promised land now occupied by hostile people well entrenched. If Moses could not have maintained strict discipline and social harmony victory would have been impossible when they crossed the Jordan.

The Christian atrocities are well documented from the Council of Nicaea on to World War II. And they were not all Roman Catholic. Now we've meddled in Moslem affairs so much we are having to fight a fifth column in the USA.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Typically hate the religious threads and where they end up.

The Working Out Your Salvation thread got me thinking and I didn't want to drop a big stinking turd on it, so now I'm starting one.

15 year old kid watched The Jeffery Dahmer movie, afterward she was
pondering it.

"Dad? Dahmer got saved and baptised. Do you think he went to heaven?"
We had a good discussion about it. And people's perceptions.

Campfire opinions?

Fuuuck no…

I see billy grahams nephew is capitalizing on the Florida deal though. Keep the faith dummy’s, your gonna need it!!! Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It’s actually old to fruition, all you folks that are believers, are believing all the fake news and bullshiit. Congratulations??? 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
…for some reason the Roman government went to a lot of trouble to save his (Paul’s) hide.
The Roman Emperor Nero had Apostle Paul imprisoned and then beheaded.
That may or may not be true, but in any case Paul was treated quite well in Rome if (big if) we are to believe the accounts we have. Things happen when a new boss takes over and Nero was probably crazy paranoid. But we don't know that Paul was killed after spending 20 good years in Rome. You really start getting into legend there.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Mohammed wrote the Koran and put himself in charge. Joseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon and put himself in charge. Over and over we see that a book that founds a religion puts the author in charge. The Bible is different. All the way through it, it's God that's in charge, not any mortal man. None of the writers put themselves in charge, only God. The apostles clearly stated over and over that Jesus was God and that he's in charge. In the OT, the priests usurped God and tried to control everyone but that's not Biblical. In the 1st couple of centuries AD, the new RC church put itself in charge of Christianity. Their teachings and methods were nothing of what the Bible teaches. They murdered many thousands of people who wouldn't bow to the church and the pope. That's not Christianity in any form.

Rock....Mauser ask this question....."Religion is used as a tool to control people using the most immoral means, under the blessing of the good word or interpretation thereof.
Your constitution tries to maintain a secular government but that is being undermined."

I was trying to point out religions are not trying to control people....and of course, we do know God is in charge...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Rock....Mauser ask this question....."Religion is used as a tool to control people using the most immoral means, under the blessing of the good word or interpretation thereof.
Your constitution tries to maintain a secular government but that is being undermined."

I was trying to point out religions are not trying to control people....and of course, we do know God is in charge...
You put it in the form of a question that I was trying to answer.
Compare the RCC and Church of England. Both did more than their fair share of evil. The Inquisition went against everything Jesus taught. Who knows how many Christians died because they said or did something that the RCC didn't like, even though it was totally scriptural. The C of E matched them for cruelty. It was created by Henry VIII for sinful purposes while he was fighting with a sinful pope. There was nothing Godly involved in the whole thing. It was all a fight for control and there was no Christianity in it at all.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
…skip John and the rest through Hebrews, Pick back up at James and read through to the end of the Revelation of Jesus Christ.
So you’re skippin’ John’s Gospel now too…the one where Jesus’s handpicked Apostle made it crystal clear that Jesus is God…? And you’re now skippin’ Luke’s Acts of the Apostle’s too…the one that makes it crystal clear that the Apostle Paul was handpicked by God Himself…?

shocker

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Of course it's about control. Religion will try to unify a group by instructing what to think. Once unified they can collectively try and oust any competition by whatever dehumanising means possible. It's not about leading a good life or providing any real explanation of anything. The bible in particular is factually, historically and morally wrong.

The bible was cannonised over a century or so and not all gospels made the final cut. It was an exercise to try make it sellable to the people. It wasn't accessible to the public for a long time since many were illiterate. Those that could had some advantage.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Ah, come on, Mauser, you know God exists. Why are you BS-ing us, Mauser, you know God exists. You have chosen to live in the darkness and Unrighteousness. Your free will and your choice… So you have made your choice. You have made your bed. Lie in it, woo hoo, be happy.

What is it to you if we have chosen to follow Jesus as our Savior and Lord? You have rejected Jesus. Why are you so obsessed in what Christians believe? What is your obsession all about? Are you really that evil?

You have made your bed. Wallow in it, and leave Christians alone. What is your problem? Why can’t you answer a simple question: What is your obsession with those who believe in and follow Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior by faith? You have faith in your atheism…Tit for tat. Go be an atheist and have a happy life…

Just curious as to why you guys make such wild claims and have no concern about the actual truth in the matter. You're probably logical and rational in other areas of your life, yet compelled to give religion special dispensation to ignore reality and truth.

Prove it.

Come on Mauser....you know folks here have discussed time and time again....remember this reply?

I believe Faith is the substance of things promised and hoped for, and evidence is of things not provably seen.

To be a Christian, you just need faith and true belief. But if one tries to branch out into trying to prove that God exists, you need more. And you’re ultimately dishonoring God because you’re not talking about faith in God, but trying to prove something you cannot prove while on earth.

I'm immune to preaching.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

And Rock Chuck made the point that murder is one method of control.

Well?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Prove it.

Ah yes….spoken like a third grade kid when losing an argument…..

Meh…

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

378 members (1eyedmule, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 36 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,117
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.