Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Went out into the Santa Monica Bay Saturday and fished all day for white seas bass. Caught a few sand bass, and some halibut, but no whites, and planned to leave about 3:30. Well we stuck it out until 5:00, and during our last drift, something big hit the lightest pole in the whole boat, 12-pound test, little Penn International, real light action, really a sand bass pole. Go figure!<P>So I grab the rod and set the hook and this fish is running hard, zzzzz, zzzzz, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, pole all bent over and NO backbone on that sucker. I had to hold it halfway up just to set the hook. Really undersized tackle for sure on this fish.<P>I finally started worrying about him spooling me on his first big run, so I tightened up the brake and reared back a bit. Well, he reacted to the pressure by putting it into another gear, really running now for all he was worth, and I had to try turn him fast, but I was running outta line, and just as I was loosening up the brake and my uncle was starting to back up the boat to chase him and get some line back ...... SNAP!! I thought for sure I had broken the line, but when I got the leader up, the knot had come undone. AAARRGH!!<P>And then it hit me. I had been tying double Trilenes, and one tag I snipped a bit short. My uncle noticed, and told me to re-tie it, but like an idiot, I just baited and put it in the water. Now I wonder if that was the knot that came undone (tied a lot of knots that day). My uncle was nice enough not to mention it, but we both were thinking the same thing.<P>Anyway, we're gonna try again this Sunday morning while it's still dark (the word is they're hitting at 3:00-4:00 a.m.). You can bet my tackle will be ready this time, and no shortchanging the knots.<P>By the way ... nothing like fresh halibut fillets and sand bass chowder to make the wife a bit more understanding about the sunburn, cigar breath, and 12 hours of sleep the next night. [Linked Image] Not to mention easing the nightmares about the one that got away.<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Hi Rick. I know what you mean about fresh halibut. Up here, we used to have big salmon, or strippers, do that. They keep running. If you can just hang on, a salmon usually runs out of steam pretty quick. Only to get a fresh charge when he sees the boat. And the second time. And the third time. I've notice big Eagle Lake Rainbows do the same. You never think they'll wind up in the boat. The temptation to fool with the drag is often too much for many. Then it's good by to Mr. Salmon. Strippers don't seem to run as hard. But, a big one, seems to never run out of steam. Not at all unusual for a 20-25 pounder to wipe out a spool of 20 lb. test. E

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, 358wsm, 10 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,926
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.