Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
BC,

That first link doesn’t work for me.

Thank you for the great information. I really appreciate it

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RAS;
Thanks for the reply sir.

Let's see if this link works?

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/about-the-guns/gun-indentification/

If it doesn't, what I did was search for German firearm proofs before the Nazi era. The linked article is by Dietrich Apel and is a pretty comprehensive one.

As I'm not the most computer literate person in my family, much less anywhere else, I'm not sure what to suggest, sorry.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tomorrow I will show you a bayonet, scabbard and frog that came with this Mauser. Also a Nazi marked German helmet still with the leather chin strap. I also inherited a mint wartime made Enfield Jungle Carbine with its original magazine.

Lots of cool stuff. Thing is, I am thrilled to get this stuff, but I am not into military guns. Because they are heirlooms, they will never be sold as long as I am breathing.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice rifle, Jeff!

Scary how valuable 98 Mausers have become. I cut one of those 1934 Standard Modells up to make a sporter 40+ years ago. It cost me $50 as I recall. Threw away the wood and the barrel, welded on a new bolt handle. Oh well, that's how those kind of rifles were viewed back in the 60's-70's - as fodder for making sporters. A buddy of my father's did it to a G33/40, and to a M1903A4 sniper too. Probably why so few originals exist and why they're now expensive.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the heads up. You are another expert on these weapons. I appreciate you participating. I am learning about them. I need to get 8mm ammo.

All the best

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Certainly I am NO Mauser expert... but I am lucky enough to own 4 or 5 of them. A 1919 built Swede, and like 4 other 8 x 57 Mausers...
two CZs and two Turks. I admit to every deer season, I'll take one of them out for a day hunting....for nostalgia if nothing else...My 8mms, my load is always 30 grains of 4198, with a Speer 170 gr SMP....Sorta like a bolt action 32 Win Special equivalent... sometimes I up the load to 35 grains or up to 40 grains of 4198. The Turks are 29 inch barrels with open sites... I leave the bayonet at home...

The CZs have 4 power scopes on top... Tascos, since any shot has always been at 150 yds or under it seems, they work just fine...

As I said, sort of a bolt action 32 Win Special...

When I take a deer with one of those, for some reason I always feel more proud of doing it with an old military rifle, that are pre WW 2 in age.

Wouldn't be without a Mauser.. they are just fun and nostalgic, and the load I use, doesn't really kick that much...but its not hard to hit your game with any one of them.. and they never fail to drop the deer on the spot...never had to chase a blood trail ever with one... guess I'm just lucky...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by RAS
Tomorrow I will show you a bayonet, scabbard and frog that came with this Mauser. Also a Nazi marked German helmet still with the leather chin strap. I also inherited a mint wartime made Enfield Jungle Carbine with its original magazine.

Lots of cool stuff. Thing is, I am thrilled to get this stuff, but I am not into military guns. Because they are heirlooms, they will never be sold as long as I am breathing.

Great news, you are not selling - so; you dont need to fix what aint broken.

If you were going to sell the rifle, absolutely maximize the return. That is a big dollar bolt. I see this as part of the history of the gun even if we dont know exactly who,when or why it up like that. There is way to much swapping out and changing stuff "by the book". I say this and yet I do it often myself. I usually save and label the take off parts. On a gun this special ( heirloom and German history), I would sure be extra cautious. Just because there are a lot of people wanting to buy your bolt, that is no reason to sell it. You just blow the money on a tank of gasoline or dinner out. I would not sell that bolt, even if I got another I might look for a "buy the book correct" bolt just to make it 'look' right. That is me. Actually I might look for a G33/40 (needing bolt). The urge to swap and make it right is a powerful force. Try and resists.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
BTW, Ball's 5th edition Masuer book shows a gun identical rifle in all respects year and factory all markings to yours with a bent bolt handle. And your stock design would also call for a bent bolt.

My point, it may 'technically' be the wrong bolt. It still looks the part. I like the post where is was called a bonus. More talking points.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fourbore,

Pm sent with a question about your post.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RAS
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the heads up. You are another expert on these weapons. I appreciate you participating. I am learning about them. I need to get 8mm ammo.

All the best

Thanks for the compliment, Jeff, but I'm no expert on German military stuff. I always venerated U.S. milsurps, still do, but to me the stuff from foreign enemies always carried with it a kind of bad ju-ju and besides it's their heritage not mine. I found it difficult to venerate stuff that was used to kill American boys, rather always viewed it as "spoils of war" and as such to be treated as fodder for custom rifles. Sort of a "swords into plow shares" attitude so to speak. Just me. But, I suspect that attitude was rampant among the older generation back in the decades after WWII too.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Beautiful rifle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gnoahhh;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the day looks bright and fair in your part of Maryland and you're well.

Thanks for that well articulated response, I believe you've hit the proverbial nail on the head.

I'm of the generation who had many of the men in my life who were veterans of WWII, so there was that. Then too interestingly enough, I've known, worked with and had in our family German WWII vets who'd come to Canada for a better life and were if anything much more vehement in their disgust with all things Nazi.

Western Canada was swimming in surplus arms from Commonwealth sources and German arms as well when I was a kid, though into the early '80's we started to see Swedish Mausers and Moisin Nagant rifles too for sure.

Of them, the Pattern 14/P17 Enfield, Mauser 98 and Swede 96 were the most common ones we'd rework into sporting rifles. They were incredibly inexpensive too back then, so it was something we could do in the shop in the evening and not break the bank.

Somewhere along the way too, I wondered what all the different numbers and letters stamped on them meant, so I bought some books and dove down the rabbit hole with both feet. That said, many were made with nothing less than slave labor and I'm cognizant that Uncle Reuben, Mearl, Leroy and Mervin spent a good chunk of their youth ridding the world of the slave masters.

All the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 10/11/22.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Shameless hi jack of the OP's thread. And, Bad ju ju - you got to be kidding me.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
These were given to me as well. My wife’s late grandfather on her dad’s side brought them home from WW2. He was in Italy and Germany. Her other late grandfather, on her mom’s side, was in the Pacific to include Iwo Jima.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
More great family history and wonderful artifacts. If you did not already, you might write up a little something for which ever of your children end up with this.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fourbore
More great family history and wonderful artifacts. If you did not already, you might write up a little something for which ever of your children end up with this.

Great idea.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shameless hi jack of the OP's thread. And, Bad ju ju - you got to be kidding me.

fourbore;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day's been kind to you and you're well.

If the post above was directed towards myself, I do apologize if it was taken by yourself, the OP or anyone in the ether space as a hijack.

One of the things that I've found difficult to articulate and establish in this medium is just where some posters are at or coming from in the journey under discussion.

My reply to gnoahhh was meant to illustrate through story and photo, how it was I personally came to be first acquainted, then later interested in certain surplus rifles - which as mentioned were common in my part of the world.

Again no offense was intended and I do apologize.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RAS;
Thanks for the further photos, I appreciate you taking the time.

One of the things I wish that I'd been able to do more often and do better was to connect with the veterans I knew when I was growing up, so perhaps they'd share more of their experiences with me and by doing so preserve them.

The uncles I was speaking of talked about their service later in life, well two of them did and two didn't actually.

One of my handgun shooting mentors was a Canadian Army veteran who was a paraplegic, the result of action in Italy. Ernie was a wonderful exception in that he would tell me stories when I asked, albeit very loudly as grenades during the war and then handgun shooting after had made him quite hard of hearing.

Thanks again for sharing the family heirlooms with us here.

All the best and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by BC30cal

fourbore;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day's been kind to you and you're well.

If the post above was directed towards myself, I do apologize if it was taken by yourself, the OP or anyone in the ether space as a hijack.

One of the things that I've found difficult to articulate and establish in this medium is just where some posters are at or coming from in the journey under discussion.

My reply to gnoahhh was meant to illustrate through story and photo, how it was I personally came to be first acquainted, then later interested in certain surplus rifles - which as mentioned were common in my part of the world.

Again no offense was intended and I do apologize.

Dwayne

No problem. I may get a little sensitive as I had uncles and dad on both sides of that conflict. All were "good guys" as far as I am concerned.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
fourbore;
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Indeed as mentioned many of the men and women in our small prairie community were veterans, most but not all in the Canadian Armed Forces.

Strangely, on my wife's side Uncle Leroy who did 2 ½ tours as a tail gunner on a Lancaster was in the squadron that accidentally bombed his brother - Uncle Mervin - who was a forward artillery observer. Both of those jobs had a life expectancy of weeks, not even months, but they both lived through some tough stuff.

When I moved here to BC I ended up working with two different German vets and as you say, they were wonderful fellows and we worked well together. Both Herman and Wilhelm were POW's after the war, Herman with the French and Wilhelm with the Russians. Both shared horrific stories with me of how they were treated.

In my reply to RAS, I also mentioned a good friend and shooting mentor Ernie who lost the use of his legs in Italy.

One day during a lull in the shooting, I asked Ernie what the conditions were like and he replied, "It wasn't even house to house fighting Dwayne, it was room to room."

Then I asked what he was issued for a firearm and if it worked well for that sort of work. He mentioned he had a Sten that "wouldn't always shut off" as he put it!!

But I still smile when I think of him following that with, "Grenades Dwayne!! We had lots of 'em and I loved grenades! They work!"

Anyways thanks for the memories you've stirred up from long ago of some grand gentlemen I was blessed to know.

All the best and good luck hunting.

Dwayne

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 15 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,489
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.