Print Thread
Hop To
P
pdman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Hey All..Shot for first time yesterday...16" BBL... Leupold VX6 3x18 ADM MFG Mount...new Starline brass Fed 210 Match primer..Nosler 155gr Match Bullet @2.795"
42.0 gr T A C...starting load from Nosler #9....took 6 shots at the 25 yd bench to zero....then moved to 100yd range....
Next 5 shots...see target...
am a happy campfire loony...manual says 200 round breakin...functioned fine so far...finished firing the 25 i loaded...pete in central texas
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I looked up the Ruger SFAR. It looks pretty compact for a .308. Let us know how it carries in the field. i know DPMS did something similar a few years ago. I haven't heard much about it since.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Damn, nice shooting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very interesting. I've always wished Ruger would offer their hammer forged barrels as blanks.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice. How is the Ruger trigger?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B2

P
pdman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
HEY STRS...the trigger is the biggest surprise....it is SUPERB....yeah its two stage...but after very little take up the break is rivals any of my Geiselle triggers..!!!
Y'all need to acquire one PRONTO....
Pete in central texas

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just sold a Rock River LAR-8 A4. It was extremely accurate, but was a beast at almost 11 pounds loaded. The SFAR is a much more reasonable 6.8 pounds empty. I would certainly look hard at the Ruger if I am going to replace the A4.

Thanks for the info.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Second trip out to the range with mine and I was testing some loads with 168 BTHP with IMR4895. Mine is also a 16" SFAR. Numbers show the average velocity and SD for the 5 shot groups. At 43 grains, I was seeing pressure signs and stopped there.

One issue I had was the gas block locking up. I am shooting suppressed with a SilencerCo Hybrid-46. I started out on gas block position #1 which was fine for Hornady American Gunner 155 gr factory loads. I started to have some feeding issues with the handloads as the charge weights went up. I tried to switch the gas block to #2, but it was locked up. The last two groups has some horizontal stringing and that may be contributed to me getting off the gun to single load rounds. When I got home, I was able to dissemble the gas block, clean it up and get it turning again. May try some anti seize on it. I have another round of loads to test.

The trigger is nice enough that I don't think I will replace it yet.

The top target was 150 grain ballistic tips that I handload with RL-15 for a bolt action, and probably bone headed of me to try them. It is not a max load, but was overpressure for the SFAR. I had 3 popped primers, but what was crazy was the velocities were 2970 fps which is higher than I got from a 20" bolt action in the past. I need to chrono that load in my current 24" Rem 700.

As far as carrying it in the field, seems just like a 16" AR-15. I usually use a AR-15 in 6.8spc for deer hunting here in KY, but could easily see myself swaping out for the SFAR. I would not want to carry a AR-10 in the field.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have to make a correction to my last post.

Was going through the ammo locker tonight and realized that the Ballistic Tips I tried in the SFAR were actually factory Nosler 125 gr Ballistic Tips and not hand loads. These had previously clocked 2990 in a 20” barrel and 2970 out of the 16” SFAR barrel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ought to make a great hog shooter! I’ll have to check one out at my LGS.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I want one!

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SturmRuger
Ruger® 2-port Boomer muzzle brake has large perpendicular surfaces to redirect gas and reduce felt recoil

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by scoony
The top target was 150 grain ballistic tips that I handload with RL-15 for a bolt action, and probably bone headed of me to try them. It is not a max load, but was overpressure for the SFAR. I had 3 popped primers, but what was crazy was the velocities were 2970 fps which is higher than I got from a 20" bolt action in the past. I need to chrono that load in my current 24" Rem 700.

As
2970 fps would be darned hot from a 20" tube.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dla

As

That's a damn hot load (over book max, and Nosler uses a 24" barrel) and he wants to give it a try in another rifle, after it "popped primers" in his AR?? Ok.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Second trip out to the range with mine and I was testing some loads with 168 BTHP with IMR4895. Mine is also a 16" SFAR. Numbers show the average velocity and SD for the 5 shot groups. At 43 grains, I was seeing pressure signs and stopped there.

One issue I had was the gas block locking up. I am shooting suppressed with a SilencerCo Hybrid-46. I started out on gas block position #1 which was fine for Hornady American Gunner 155 gr factory loads. I started to have some feeding issues with the handloads as the charge weights went up. I tried to switch the gas block to #2, but it was locked up. The last two groups has some horizontal stringing and that may be contributed to me getting off the gun to single load rounds. When I got home, I was able to dissemble the gas block, clean it up and get it turning again. May try some anti seize on it. I have another round of loads to test.

The trigger is nice enough that I don't think I will replace it yet.

As far as carrying it in the field, seems just like a 16" AR-15. I usually use a AR-15 in 6.8spc for deer hunting here in KY, but could easily see myself swaping out for the SFAR. I would not want to carry a AR-10 in the field.

Your loads show a lot of double grouping there. Stating the obvious, but it would benefit you to adjust your oal..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by dla

As

That's a damn hot load (over book max, and Nosler uses a 24" barrel) and he wants to give it a try in another rifle, after it "popped primers" in his AR?? Ok.

Actually made a correction to my post that was missed. The 150 grain Ballistic tips were actually 125 grain Ballistic tip factory loads. Both the 125 and 150 grain BT loads shot fine in a bolt action with no pressure signs. Just have not clocked them in the current bolt action.

Last edited by scoony; 10/16/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Made a trip to the range today to check IMR 4895 loads again, but they were not showing much potential.

The rifle does like the factory Hornady American Gunner 155 grain BTHPs. These are slow at 2482 fps, but seem to be accurate. The bottom load is H4895. Both groups were just under 3/4"

I have a hodgepodge of 155 grain bullets that I am going to test next.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What magazines do they use?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Made a trip to the range today to check IMR 4895 loads again, but they were not showing much potential.

The rifle does like the factory Hornady American Gunner 155 grain BTHPs. These are slow at 2482 fps, but seem to be accurate. The bottom load is H4895. Both groups were just under 3/4"

I have a hodgepodge of 155 grain bullets that I am going to test next.

Looks like a pretty good shooter.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Factory trigger is pretty good, still, just dropped a trigger tech diamond in. Sploosh! 1.75#.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

234 members (257 mag, 2UP, 37L1, 7887mm08, 35, 22 invisible), 1,720 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,623
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.