-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Looking for something more substantial than the factory sights but which will simply replace the rear and dovetail in the rear sight slot on the barrel and a light gathering front (fiberoptic maybe) which will dovetail in the front sight base.

Any suggestions welcome.

Gdv

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
From my experience you will not get "substantial" in a fiberoptic sight. Otherwise I draw a blank. Call Brownells and talk to one of the product reps.

NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think Williams in Michigan (not Matt Williams) offers a front and rear sight set with fiber optic front sight for the Guide Gun. I'm not a fan of plastic but I understand they work pretty well. Thanks...Bill.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Williams has a good selection of both.
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/gunsightsdefault.htm

As does XS.
http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html

With a cheaper version from Skinner sights.
http://skinnersights.com/

I use a Firesight front bead with either the standard Marlin sight or a XS Ghost rear sight that clamps on my Warne rear base and returns to zero or close to it.

Jayco

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Another very popular sight from a couple of our Montana shooters is the Marble sight.
http://www.marblearms.com/sights/universal.html
[Linked Image]
http://www.marblearms.com/sights/contour.html
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Jayco

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Thanks. I was aware of Marble and Williams and had checked them out in Brownells here in Iowa. I was actually hoping NECG had one of their Universal sight systems that would work; I may still check with them although it seems somewhat strange to have the open sights cost 25% of the price of the rifle. And, I wouldn't consider that except I think I may have gotten a very accurate '95 GG. Two factory loads went into an inch so far and my first handload-a 405-gr Silver Cast at 1900 fps - is teetering very close to that...so, I may "dress" this gun up a little.

Gdv

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer the Marbles flat top folding with windage and have a number of them mounted on lever action rifles.You can see these at Brownells and they are not terribly expensive.

I have tried a lot of different front sights and with my poor eyesight the large white bead is best for me. If your eyes are good the flat face gold bead from Marbles is good.

Second choice for me and rapidly gaining ground is the Marbles copy of the Redfield Sourdough. I like a Patridge front side and the Marbles is wide enough for my eyes. You can narrow the sight to suit your eyes.

Slim
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for that perspective.

Gdv

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I've got the XS ghost ring setup on mine. Other than raising the sight level about 1/4in this is the best peep/ghost ring setup I've ever tried. White stripe shows up on hide (not a live one yet) VERY well in low light.

But.....ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
with seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six."

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an XS sight on the Marlin .32 H&R Magnum using a Marbles Sourdough on the front. This is a good sight for a hunting rifle where we don�t change loads or bullet weights very often.
The XS sight reminds me of my hero; Francis Sell and his Cascade Snapshooter, a nearly identical little peep sight.

Slim
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the One Ragged Hole peep that replaces the the blade in the rear sight. People like them or hate them. Good luck.

George

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Knock the sight out, fill the slot and go with Brockmans
peep and winged front. I did and I love em!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use the XS Express, actually it was still owned by Ashley and before it was renamed Ashley Outdoors when I bought my two sets for two of my Marlins. I have been looking at the Brockmans. What do you like about them elk76?

scott

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Took my 1895 XLR out today with the new Brockman sights on it. Precision machining is great. I put the sights on, which were centered and it took 6 shots to fine tune it at 100 yds. 2 shots at 25 and then 4 at 100. Amazing thing is that even with my old eyes I got 3 shot raged holes at 100 yds. I know, I know "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then!" I still am kind of proud of that group! They are bold sight although a gold bead might provide a finer sight picture, they line up quick and I like the way my eye centers them. Besides, I tend to get clumsy occassionaly and the wings might prevent me from breaking the peep off! I also like the way they look.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (35, alwaysoutdoors, 7887mm08, Bigd7378, Anaconda, 12 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,544
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.