Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tedo Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Looking for reviews of Mesa Precision rifle stocks. Their price is competitive and lead time is shorter than most of the other brands. I have a McMillan and a Banner but no experience with the Mesa Precision stocks. It would be Going on a Tikka in .243.

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've built a few rifles with Mesa stocks. A lightweight 300 PRC of my own that has performed well. I used it on a successful elk hunt last fall hiking the mountains.

For the money its a good stock, lightweight, and decent styling and ergonomics. They come with aluminum pillars but I still hog out most of the inlet and full bed them.

From what I hear they are AG composite stocks made to Mesa Specs. I have a Mesa and an AG stock in shop right now and inside they are identical.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The pillars needed to be replaced before doing anything on the two I worked with. It's unfortunate that they don't offer these with just an action screw pilot hole so the pillars can be added properly prior to being bedded.

Other than that, they're pretty decent for inletting, etc.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mine are rather Skookum,in fit and finish. Several pards have like "luck",in Teeker inlets. Hint.............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 4 Mesa Precision stocks. 3 inletted for Rem 700 footprint rifles, and one on a Tikka T3. They are a great bang for the buck. Even more so if you grab one during a sale.
From an ergo standpoint, the are very similar to the McMillan Game Hunter - maybe just a tad heftier in the grip.
I have no qualms with them, wouldn't hesitate to buy another if needed.
I did talk to the owner (John) several months ago about the possibility of them releasing a variant with the more traditional grip, rather than the vertical grip. He said they had no plans as of now.
As to Mesa stocks being build buy AG Composites. ..not sure where that rumor came from. They are 2 separate companies. FWIW, if they - Mesa - were relying on AG for stocks, the customer wait time for fulfillment would be 16-18 weeks, vice 6-8. DAMHIKT

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WiFowler
They are a great bang for the buck. Even more so if you grab one during a sale.

$675 is a great bang for the buck? What can you get them for on sale?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've bought a couple @ $575. Black Friday, New Years, Memorial Day, 4th of July, sales. Get on their mailing list.

And yes, $675 is a good bang for the buck. Consider that the Mesa has basically the same ergos as the McM Game Hunter, and can be had in 6-8 weeks vice who knows how long for a McM, that, in my book adds value. YMMV

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've bought a couple @ $575. Black Friday, New Years, Memorial Day, 4th of July, sales. Get on their mailing list.

And yes, $675 is a good bang for the buck. Consider that the Mesa has basically the same ergos as the McM Game Hunter, and can be had in 6-8 weeks vice who knows how long for a McM, that, in my book adds value. YMMV
You are costing me $$$.
JA outdoors had one for $629 in stock.
Had.

I’m going to need a flatbill before this is over …

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

You are costing me $$$.
JA outdoors had one for $629 in stock.
Had.

I’m going to need a flatbill before this is over …

There ya go blaming me again grin

BTW, I'm sure I'm not alone when I say 'spending others money is fun'. grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Well … approximately 25 ounces is just under 29 on my scale. Must’ve been snacking on the trip. 😔

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well … approximately 25 ounces is just under 29 on my scale. Must’ve been snacking on the trip. 😔

No, they added an extra layer of insulation for the cold Alaska winters. grin

FWIW, those that I have are all between 25 and 28oz - the Tikka version being the heaviest for whatever reason.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don’t have a Mesa but have an AG composites. The rumor apparently came from Mesa.

“The guys at Mesa Precision just announced their new Carbon Altitude Stock which folks have been discussing over on the custom Tikka thread. I gave them a call today and told them I would pass on the details here. There is also going to be an option for a potential Rokslide group buy when the stocks are ready towards the end of March. I'll add more info on that when I get it. Details on the stock-

-Manufactured by AG Composites (solid stocks used by many custom makers, Barrett Fieldcraft etc)
-Approximately 24oz
-No caliber restrictions
-Options for large diameter Proof barrels and factory Tikka offerings
-Future DBM options but currently for factory Tikka bottom metal (MT bottom metal replacements are supposed to fit)
-Drop-in compatible with standard Tikka actions
-Options with included lug and add on lug for re barreled actions
-Colors available on the Mesa Precision Arms website”

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Don’t care who actually makes it if I can get mine to shed those 5 ounces! smile

Interesting.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Don’t care who actually makes it if I can get mine to shed those 5 ounces! smile

Interesting.

A friend of mine has one for a M700 LA and it arrived at 28+ ozs if I remember correctly. With the high comb and vertical grip there is more stock material--I think it would be hard to manufacture it lighter.

My M700 LA ADL Bansner came to me a couple ozs heavier than advertised.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've got one for a short action 700, M5 bm inlet, Sendero contour and it's 29 oz. Being a 1/4 lb heavier than expected changed my plans for it. Still a nice stock.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've got one for a short action 700, M5 bm inlet, Sendero contour and it's 29 oz. Being a 1/4 lb heavier than expected changed my plans for it. Still a nice stock.
Agree completely that it seems to be a very nice and well made stock. Not a huge deal at all, just like factual representation of weights. Just a peeve of mine. Perhaps because misrepresentation is so common! laugh

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Found a long thread on another site; seems like my weight is in line with most. Nothing like reinventing the wheel so I’ll link it here. And unless things have changed, they are indeed made by AG.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/mesa-precision-arms-carbon-fiber-altitude-stock.120083

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Until I hear it with my own ears from John @ Mesa, I refuse to believe that the Mesa Precision Attitude is made by AG Composites.
I own both, Mesa's and an AG Privateer, and previously had another (Alpine Hunter). While similar, the Alpine Hunter shape is ' squared off' in comparison to the Mesa and thus the ergos are different.
The thing that makes me draw my stance that Mesa's aren't all made by AG is simple. Mesa delivers in 5-8 weeks in my experience. AG on the other hand took 17 weeks to deliver. Doesn't stand to reason that a company that's manufacturing for another, takes 2x, or longer, to deliver their own labeled product, than the product they are OEMing for another.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (222Sako, 1OntarioJim, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 12 invisible), 1,569 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.