Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have the opportunity to buy a model 99 300 savage not really sure much about it. I ran the serial number online production year is supposed to be 1921. I haven’t seen it in person yet my dad went to look at it and sent me some pictures but they aren’t very good. But from what I can tell it appears to be in good shape and has not been drilled and tapped. He also has 5 boxes of shells. He hasn’t told me what he wants for it yet my question is what would be a fair price. He’s older and doesn’t have any kids and would like it to go to someone that would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for the replies.

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
W/O good pics, serial number, chambering and bore scope photo we would have no idea.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
If anyone would want to pm me a cell number I could text them the photos that I do have

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Old guys with old Savage rifles generally means it has been cared for.
A 100 year old Savage 1899/99, not buggered with some honest wear is ~$500-600 easy, maybe more. Ammo is an adder.
If you are a good home that appreciates good guns and the seller fits my profile, $750 for all is probably good for both. JMO.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Best bet is start with asking him how much he needs to get for it
What i usually do so i dont insulte anyone and if it is to high i can always just say i like it but its bot in my budget
Gives them the opportunity to come back at
You with another offer
Just my two cents

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thanks guys I was thinking the same thing about asking him first. I have a bore scope that I’m going to take with me when I go look at it. I guess he has ten boxes of shells too not five.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bottom line the price you pay is that which you're comfy with.

I always insist the seller state a price. If it's good for me I pay it, but I'm not bashful about offering less too. He doesn't have to take the offer. Negotiating is half the fun in any transaction, and I never ever make the initial offer. I've noticed a lot of humans aren't comfortable with negotiating. I find that strange. When I set the price on something I'm selling I always set it a little higher than what I really want, fully expecting a kindred soul to try and negotiate it down. That's ok, again part of the game. It's when a timid soul say's ok to my initial price that I grin inwardly and stop on the way home for a good bottle of scotch.

Auctions are a different game. I love them and I hate them. Too often there's idiots in the audience with auction fever, or who have no self control, or are ignorant about values and the game goes sideways quickly. Anymore I shudder if I see something in an auction that interests me, knowing I gotta play that game again.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well a 1921 rifle in 300 would be a real early 300,if i remember correctly they came out late in 1921, pictures and serial number !!!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The way the premium brown spirits market is these days you'll need to set those prices pretty high to slip a bottle of good scotch into the margin.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seller sets the price.

If he insists you make an offer tell him $100

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Serial number 2372xx I can’t figure out how to post pictures. The guy also has a Winchester model 12 16 gauge with 50 boxes of shells he said today he was thinking $2000 for that and the model 99 with 10 boxes of shells. I’m going to look at them in person this weekend.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holy crap

$1000 + in ammo in that deal....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy
Holy crap

that means $500 each for the guns ,,BUY IT NOW,, do not hesitate.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Probably closer to $1500 worth of ammo in the current market ..........I'd do that deal

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holy crap

This sort of depends on whether the ammos is old enough to have collector value or new enough to assume it safe and reliable. There is some middle ground where the ammo has potentially no value... at least that is my view. Its either, something that I'm happy to hunt with or something collectible, anything in between is worthless to me. Maybe I can shoot some to get it on paper, etc or sell it for the brass but otherwise, I don't need or want mid-age, mod-grade ammo.

Andrew
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
interested to know if you bought the guns and to see some pics of them?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Holy crap

This sort of depends on whether the ammos is old enough to have collector value or new enough to assume it safe and reliable. There is some middle ground where the ammo has potentially no value... at least that is my view. Its either, something that I'm happy to hunt with or something collectible, anything in between is worthless to me. Maybe I can shoot some to get it on paper, etc or sell it for the brass but otherwise, I don't need or want mid-age, mod-grade ammo.

Yeah boils down to quality of the ammo. If it's good shooting or good "collector" quality I personally would look at the stuff from a resale viewpoint, as I'm neither a collector of ammo or user of factory ammo.

Always different ways of looking at this kind of thing: If the ammo turns out to be junk (say someone's old reloads of dubious quality) it becomes an albatross around one's neck and has a negative effect on the value of the deal.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I went and picked it up today it seems to me like it’s in good shape for a hundred year old rifle. It has a few scratches and the stock has some wear but the blueing is probably 85%? It has a marble peep and it’s a takedown.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I knew I forgot something the bore looks really good too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Holy crap

Yeah boils down to quality of the ammo. If it's good shooting or good "collector" quality I personally would look at the stuff from a resale viewpoint, as I'm neither a collector of ammo or user of factory ammo.

Always different ways of looking at this kind of thing: If the ammo turns out to be junk (say someone's old reloads of dubious quality) it becomes an albatross around one's neck and has a negative effect on the value of the deal.

It's all about the resale value that makes the deal, regardless of whether you want the ammo or not. 50 boxes of 16 gauge @$10 a box and 10 boxes of 300 Savage @$50 a box or 50 boxes of 16 gauge @$15 box and 10 boxes of 300 Savage a $30 a box, etc, etc. No matter how you slice it it's not hard to get to $1000. Take a look at GB or go to a gun show and see what ammo is selling for. The fact that you don't want it doesn't make it any less valuable to somebody that does.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,839 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,234
Posts18,485,703
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.