-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The cited 2pc bases will mount low,granting objective clearance with caps,along with nice ring spacing,to hedge a bet. Said rings play nicely,are both low and light,while offering copious surface area on the tube and (6) cap fasteners per each ring. On top of that,the 'port remains clear,to aid in .532" feed/function...as they can want to leave the boltface at odd angles,as compared to .473". The '12x saves a coupla ounces of weight,but with a killer reticle and 35+ Mil's on the erector,"reach" is hardly a problem for killing. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

No joy on 3-15X locking turrets,but soft stops are easily incorporated and I do. Next to a 3-15x here. Hint.

Nothing else has locking turrets,mechanical zero stop,35+ Mil's on the erector,illumination,FFP and a reticle that's so easily discerned through it's zoom range. With a 250yd modest zero,in a modest atmosphere,8 Mils on the reticle is 1150yds. Hint.

Now if this is a Play Toy Giggles Rifle and you've good eyes,you might prefer the '20x and it's finer reticle. For killing,the '12x is simply splendid,amazingly well rounded and FAST. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Big Stick
...but soft stops are easily incorporated and I do.

Soft stops? Enlighten me.

...Play Toy Giggles Rifle...

(Well, I guess I can stop thinking of nicknames for it.)

This is definitely a Maxwell's gettin' weird rifle project, but if I like it, and the cartridge, I'll drag it along chasing muleys and antelope. Inevitably, and in spite of pre-season visions (delusions?) of 600 yard prone shots with my finger in the wind, that'll involve a lot of shooting inside 150 yards at lower power. So yeah, a practical reticle is a priority.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well,I reckon if forced to "guess",it'd go like this. Hint.(grin)

Or locking turret caps and mechanical stop. Hint.

Locked.

Unlocked and of course windage behaves same. Hint.

Just sayin'..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
soft stops are garden hose rubber washers.

GOA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Check out Vortex Razor LHT 3-15. Perfect zoom range IMO, excellent glass, excellent illuminated reticle (just the center dot lights up, not the whole reticle - which I strongly prefer), locking elevation turret with capped windage, and a really nice size and weight. I have 5 and they have been dialed a bunch and have been perfect.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Haha your talkin about saving a “couple ounces”??? Lmfao😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Follow

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
What distances do you expect to shoot out to?

How are your eyes?

J
JD7 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Trijicon accupoint

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by WB300
What distances do you expect to shoot out to?

How are your eyes?

Eyes are good. Some of the best parts I have left.

My hope is to get more comfortable with shooting at distances over 300 yards. If I can become confident in my setup and abilities by shooting paper/steel at 500, 600, 700 yards, maybe more, I'll be better equipped to take longer shots on game (I currently consider anything over about 350 yards a long shot on game) when there's no way to get closer. I don't imagine pushing things past about >600 yards on animals, though. I don't want to start an ethics argument, but it seems clear that uncontrollable variables start to take over as you get much beyond that. A lot can happen in a second.

So long story short, distances will be <1000 yards, and hunting distances probably <600 yards.

IC B3

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JD7
Trijicon accupoint

Are there any Trijicon AccuPoints that meet my criteria, or are you just lobbing names of scopes out there?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The SWFA SS 5-20x is solid and meets your criteria (sample list right around $1000), though it’s a bit big for a hunting rifle. The Bushnell DMRII Pro can likely be found in your price range, and is a great scope, but has 34mm tube and is big and heavy.

If you can find an LRHS or LRTSi 3-12x or 4.5-18x, that would be a great option, as well. I have positive experience with the Trijicon Accupower, but haven’t used the higher magnification models so can’t opine there.

For that type of application, I typically look for an LRHS or grab a SS 3-9x. The SS 3-15x would probably be my choice from the options you’re currently looking at. The lack of reticle subtensions from 0-1 MRAD in the Athlon isn’t ideal, IMO, neither is the MIC origin. Not major issues, but would push me to the SS 3-15x if I couldn’t find a LRHS and 9x wasn’t enough.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SS HD 5-20x MQ. Hint.

DMR II. Hint.

LRHS G2(MUCH prefer G3) '18x. Hint.

LRTS G3 '18x. Hint.

LRTS G3 '12x. Hint.

LRTSi G3 '12x. Hint.

3-15x MQ FFP. Hint.

A wee bit of extrapolation,with a 2-12x FFP Mil/Mil Lit Bitch. Hint.

2-12x compared to 3-15x FFP MQ. Hint.

For killing,pass the 2-12X. The 3-12x G3 LRTSi is Skookum,but not as...due illumination and reticle differences. Hint.

Just saying.....................

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Impressive collection, Stick. Size comparison is helpful.

Ok, I'm narrowing it down. I just looked through a LRHS 4.5-18x44 with, I believe, the G2 reticle at a local shop. Liked the scope all around, and really liked the reticle. $999.99, NOS. They have 2 of them.

However, I also have a line on a used SWFA SS 3-15x42 Mil-Quad for quite a lot less.

Is the LRHS that much better? I'm kinda frugal, and I'm kinda leaning toward the SS.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Side by each extrapolations,never ain't not handy. Hint.(grin)

My first LRHSi '18x (G2),was a steaming pile of fhuqking schit. Hint.

A pard wanted out of a 2nd one,for $400,so I rolled them dice. It behaves. Bushy offered ZERO intel on the maladies of the first(above) and flung me an LRTSi '18x. All of my LRTS/LRTSi's and DMR II's have been fhuqking exceptional and the 3-12x LRTSi Gen 3 STEALS the show. Hint.

I MUCH prefer the 2-12x to both. Hint...................

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Side by each extrapolations,never ain't not handy. Hint.(grin)

My first LRHSi '18x (G2),was a steaming pile of fhuqking schit. Hint.

A pard wanted out of a 2nd one,for $400,so I rolled them dice. It behaves. Bushy offered ZERO intel on the maladies of the first(above) and flung me an LRTSi '18x. All of my LRTS/LRTSi's and DMR II's have been fhuqking exceptional and the 3-12x LRTSi Gen 3 STEALS the show. Hint.

I Had the same experience with one Bushy LRHSi. The elevation dial just locked up - complete failure. Bushnell also sent me a LRSTi - no answers as to why the failure. I bought mine from GAP and I think the later models had poorer QC - at least that is my theory. The rest of my LRHS's have been stellar. Solid bargain.

Last edited by Akbob5; 10/15/22.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

I'm not oblivious to your hints, and everything about that Athlon makes sense. If it were made anywhere else, one would already be in the mail. Objection's got nothing to do with the quality or design of the product.

Yes, I'm typing this on a Chinese-made keyboard—I'm aware. No choice there.

'Bout to push the SS 3-15x42 button...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm simply a Realist and it's a Global Economy. Athlon is upfront and Reupold and the ilk,ain't. It is,what it is. Hint.

Locking turrets and illumination,sure are soothin'. Hint...............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Maxwell
Impressive collection, Stick. Size comparison is helpful.

Ok, I'm narrowing it down. I just looked through a LRHS 4.5-18x44 with, I believe, the G2 reticle at a local shop. Liked the scope all around, and really liked the reticle. $999.99, NOS. They have 2 of them.

However, I also have a line on a used SWFA SS 3-15x42 Mil-Quad for quite a lot less.

Is the LRHS that much better? I'm kinda frugal, and I'm kinda leaning toward the SS.
I'd pull the trigger on that LRHS. Yes, the LRHS is better than the SS - not because it's more reliable (I think both are about on par in that regard) - but because it has a better feature set. Stellar zero stop, low-profile elevation turret and capped windage, for starters. I also really like the G2H reticle (it's a preference thing). I've had a bunch of LRHS/LRTS/DMR/XRS/etc., and I've yet to have a tracking or zero retention issue. I think Stick's tracking problem was pretty darn rare.

You could always buy both that LRHS and SS and sell the one you like least.

Also, keep in mind that the size comparison in Stick's picture shows the LRHS and LRTS scopes with sunshades installed, making them look longer than they are.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, and in terms of mounting I'd simply go with a pic rail with appropriate inclination and a set of Burris XTR Signature Med rings.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 204guy, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,812
Posts18,516,515
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.