Hop To
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by Swamplord
From what I've seen over the years since the 300 RUM showed up is a bunch of crying

Usually from the gun dummy simps still attached to old stuff better left in the past

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

You should have brought a Barrett, then you could have shot them black tails from the boat and had your lackeys go step & fetch em... knowing how little you like to walk.

Don't need a fitty when a 14 lb 338 Edge works great out to 1500 yards, and I do get off the boat, gotta have a nice rest to shoot from then climb up to get the dead heads ....

Hunt smarter... not dumber ....

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coworker took two bearded seals, whale,bull moose, and some snow geese this year with a Mini 14 running factory loads in 223 Remington..iron sights of course.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Coworker took two bearded seals, whale,bull moose, and some snow geese this year with a Mini 14 running factory loads in 223 Remington..iron sights of course.

Yaaas, but did he do it form a mile away...? laughing

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
20 years of running into other Alaskans out in the field, rarely do we ever blather incessantly about guns. Alaskans generally, really don't give a fk about what other Alaskans use for a rifle.

The conversations always revolve around fuel usage, engine troubles, weather, trail conditions, river conditions, old timers who used to use a specific river before my generation, trapping legends, mining legends, sled dog-behavior, snowmachine performance, weird animal encounters, etc.

Here on campfire, the obsession of lower-48 folks over rifle/cartridge and scope in Alaska, is really fkn nerdy and senlesss.

Talking about a box of fkn rocks is more useful. At least there might be gold in those rocks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those who incessantly brag about how far they shoot or how powerful their rifles and scopes are have other issues.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I’ll be up there next year grizzly hunting. 30.06.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
.30-06. If I ever get to AK it will be for trout and/or salmon so I don't expect getting to shoot anything.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by johnn
From what I've seen over the years since the 300 RUM showed up is a bunch of crying

Usually from the gun dummy simps still attached to old stuff better left in the past

You should have brought a Barrett, then you could have shot them black tails from the boat and had your lackeys go step & fetch em... knowing how little you like to walk.

Don't need a fitty when a 14 lb 338 Edge works great out to 1500 yards, and I do get off the boat, gotta have a nice rest to shoot from then climb up to get the dead heads ....

Hunt smarter... not dumber ....

Used that same number a lot for cross canyon shots in steep brushy units. Been doing the same thing long long before laser rangefinders and the current smartphone and PDA's that run ballistic software and kestrel units. Back in those days it was notes with an scientific calculator and my protractor and inclinometer. Dan Lilja supplied a lot of the barrels back in those early days.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One thing remains constant .... and is seriously distubing ....

Those who can't shoot/have the proper equipment for long range hunting ...

Will always tread & stomp all over the rights of those who can & do ....

on the other hand ..

Long range hunters never stomp on other hunters rights ...

Why is that ?

With a lot of you guys ... the 30-06 is considered a phenomenal Alaskan big game hunting cartridge out to 400 yards with xxx fps of velocity & ft lbs of energy . Where the reg Elmer Fudd "abbity abbity" gun dummy oblivious to external ballistics, shooting run of the mill factory ammo in mixed brands & bullet weights is a celebrated "hunter" .....

The 300 RUM does the same at 500 yards as the '06 at the muzzle ...... so in other words (& math) the 300 RUM is the same as the 400 yard '06 at 900 yards ..... & the hunter is an experienced shooter, using handloaded ammunition with the highest bc bullets designed for long range hunting, painstakingly worked up for extreme velocity & precision accuracy that absolutely surpasses the 30-06 at any range ...

is spat on & ridiculed .......

For some reason I thought hunters were supposed to be on the same side .......

I guess not .....

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I would choose a treadmill. Most of the lower 48 kuiu army i see in our airports should worry less about kit and more about exersize.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BCJR
I would choose a treadmill. Most of the lower 48 kuiu army i see in our airports should worry less about kit and more about exersize.

truth ! > maybe more salad less potatoes and gravy

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458Win
Those who incessantly brag about how far they shoot or how powerful their rifles and scopes are have other issues.

Truth.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't read the entire thread yet, but if I had to choose one "caliber"(cartridge) for the rest of my hunting days in Alaska without a doubt it would be the one cartridge I have yet to ever own just because we don't live in the crazy world of only having to choose one cartridge.....30-06 all day everyday. Its never the best answer, but never the wrong answer either. smile

That said, since I don't have to pick just one usually I'll grab the 338-06 shooting 230s as my do all. Its short/handy/light and works 0-500 yards just fine. If its further than that I got a 300 WSM with 212s that isn't as short, handy, or light as it has 6" more barrel and weighs in at 2 pounds more as well.

338-06:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

300 WSM:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If I had to hunt with just a 30-06 though I would hack it down to a 16-18" barrel as I may never surpass the numbers of critters my wife and I have killed with just 20" barrel 308s and they seem to work just fine. wink

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The 180 gr Factory ammo at the time was loaded hot, right around 3320 fps according to my Gamma Master Chrony , and I absolutely loved it ! Finally a cartridge worthy of Long Range Hunting ...

With a case full of Reloader 25 and 200 gr Accubond bullets it laid waste to some fantastic bull moose since , at ranges my old '06 royally pissed me off at ....

I'm not one to say you're wrong at all for a cartridge or hunting style choice...but you do realize that a given bullet's velocity gap between two starting speeds decreases the further downrange you get, right?

That is to say, your 200 Accubond at 3200 FPS (.300 RUM) is only going 1751 FPS at 1000 yards, where if you started that bullet at 2700 FPS (.30-06) at 1000 yards that bullet is going 1419 FPS. That cuts the 500 FPS head start at the muzzle down to only a 332 FPS difference.

As for this:
The 300 RUM does the same at 500 yards as the '06 at the muzzle ...... so in other words (& math) the 300 RUM is the same as the 400 yard '06 at 900 yards
I am not sure where your math here is coming from....as it just simply isn't adding up. There's nothing wrong with the RUM...rock on...but it isn't quite as magical as you're making it out to be at long range, unless you're just referring to recoil and muzzle blast.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a confession to make.. lord forgive me …. But I have a small dick and long live 30-378 with 150gr tsx bullets..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Must be a Valley Trash thing 😜

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
Must be a Valley Trash thing 😜

Dude you bettah be packing the shed up Ol Peltola coming for you white eyes. White man, on our land, choot all our caribou, catch all our fish.. eat all our berries..

Last edited by 79S; 10/13/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
The conversations always revolve around... trail conditions, river conditions, old timers who used to use a specific river before my generation, trapping legends, mining legends...

Those are always great. Places are even unofficially named based on who put that trail in or who used to hunt it. If you are quick, you can even meet some of the characters.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wouldn’t say Swamp’s numbers are far off the mark. The RUM with 250 gr loads with +.700 BC started at 2,850 fps does yield about 2,750 ft-lbs at 500 yards. Depending if you start the 30-06 with 180 gr at 2,750 fps you’d get around 3,000 ft-lbs at the muzzle.

At 900 yds the RUM will maintain around 1,750 ft-lbs, that’s right about where the 06 is at 400 yds with a 180 gr load.

I respect Alaskan folks a great deal and spent a year in Anchorage working on some engineering projects and traveled some of the state. I always enjoy reading what Mainer, Phil and Swamp write. They all bring a different opinion because they all hunt game differently. Never meeting them my opinion after reading many posts is Phil is a big time Brownie guide/hunter, known by many because of magazine hunting articles. His family operation on coastal and grizzly hunting as well as other species is well known. Mainer IMO is a pioneer and a subsistence man who hunts and lives with freedom and survival in mind. A true Alaskan spirit with a high utilitarian IQ which is needed to live and survive in Alaska. Swamp is an elite rifleman/LR hunter (great photos on factory and wildcatted cartridges, especially Wby RPM derived wildcats). His taking of game at extended ranges with the most recent technology/equipment and knowledge of how to use it and fine tune it are difficult to accomplish.

I could be wrong on the above, it’s just my feeling after reading many posts. Point is they all hunt differently and all appear to be proficient and fine with their methods and equipment. That’s all that really matters.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rossimp
I wouldn’t say Swamp’s numbers are far off the mark. The RUM with 250 gr loads with +.700 BC started at 2,850 fps does yield about 2,750 ft-lbs at 500 yards. Depending if you start the 30-06 with 180 gr at 2,750 fps you’d get around 3,000 ft-lbs at the muzzle.

At 900 yds the RUM will maintain around 1,750 ft-lbs, that’s right about where the 06 is at 400 yds with a 180 gr load.

Comparing just the energy of a 250 grain out of a .300 RUM vs 180 grain out of a .30-06 at those distances may very well be comparable.....I dunno.....but using the same bullets the velocity and energy math doesn't add up.

Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (22250rem, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,398
Posts18,488,906
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.