Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#17682126 10/10/22
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Finally missed with my Excalibur. 50 lasered yards, no wind, standing forkie. I’ve never missed that shot on a target, so Grandpa must’ve yanked it. He didn’t move until after the shot. Thankfully he hopped off acting kinda puzzled about the funny noises, and no sign of a hit on his trail. Man’s gotta know his limitations….. I watched him feed for about a half hour, and he was moving across at a right angle, so wasn’t going to get closer.

I did succeed in reloading the bow in my stand, with the crank of course. Not terribly noisy, and I didn’t fall out. That’s a positive.

Oh well, I had 90% of the fun and none of the messy aftermath. It’s a long drag back to the truck. This is the last try for a while as there are six days firearms antlerless, bear, and turkey coming up beginning Saturday.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Still sounds like a successful hunt to me. I’ve been hunting a couple times a week between work since the season opened here in Ohio. Haven’t taken a shot but sure have enjoyed my time in the woods.

Took up traditional hunting two years ago and to say it’s humbling would be an understatement. Shot over two good bucks last year and didn’t have an opportunity the first year. Haven’t had one within range yet this season.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bound to happen…way more room outside of em than there is in em! Shake it off and center punch the next one’s power factory.

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hey! At least you're out at it! More than I can say for myself right now...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not complaining at all, except for my performance on the trigger. Looked perfect, but stuff happens. That was shot number seven since beginning in 2018, and the first miss.

Tomorrow begins the two-day special firearms season for old men and children, no stamp required for holders of Senior and Junior licenses. I have the body of a geezer and the mind of a child, so am doubly qualified. Took the Grendel to the range this morning to verify the sighting. All I need now is a volunteer. I really like the possibility of being able to take a doe, a bear, or a turkey, whichever shows up, even though a deer is by far the most likely. Next week there are four days of doe and bear for anyone with the stamps, but turkeys are out, in this county anyway.

In preparation, I took some previously sou vided deer loin and finished it in the air fryer. That meat had been vacuum-sealed in a cooking bag along with its juice for two days after the hot water bath. Absolutely the most tender venison I’ve ever eaten.

Good luck guys.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Not complaining at all, except for my performance on the trigger. Looked perfect, but stuff happens. That was shot number seven since beginning in 2018, and the first miss.

Tomorrow begins the two-day special firearms season for old men and children, no stamp required for holders of Senior and Junior licenses. I have the body of a geezer and the mind of a child, so am doubly qualified. Took the Grendel to the range this morning to verify the sighting. All I need now is a volunteer. I really like the possibility of being able to take a doe, a bear, or a turkey, whichever shows up, even though a deer is by far the most likely. Next week there are four days of doe and bear for anyone with the stamps, but turkeys are out, in this county anyway.

In preparation, I took some previously sou vided deer loin and finished it in the air fryer. That meat had been vacuum-sealed in a cooking bag along with its juice for two days after the hot water bath. Absolutely the most tender venison I’ve ever eaten.

Good luck guys.
Is that in Virginia? Don't think I've heard of that season

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
WV

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
By God!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Apparently, because it never occurred to me on my own.

Talk about about a blessing!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At least you've been out in the woods. My back has kept me inside so far, aside from the warmer weather.
I'm hoping to get out soon.
Good luck.

-Ken

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You too.

Four morning hunts so far. Hope to get in at least two of the early doe days. Running low on red meat!

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good luck Pappy348!

Headed up to my property in NE WI tomorrow. Starting to snow up there!

NRA life member

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Snow! Lucky you.

We seldom get snow during the season here. When we get it lateron, it’s often so much I can’t get to the WMA, or around the property. There’s a fine balance there between just enough and too damn much!

Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My best miss was at about 15 yards (aged memory). Fading light. Solild "THWACK". Deer took off, not at all in any apparent distress. Further investigation revealed a very thin sapling at about 10 yards with arrow sticking out of it. Never distinguished the sapling in the gloaming.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Oh well, I had 90% of the fun and none of the messy aftermath. It’s a long drag back to the truck. This is the last try for a while as there are six days firearms antlerless, bear, and turkey coming up beginning Saturday.

Great way to look at it. You'll get the next one.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
5sdad, I hate to admit it, but I have killed a sapling also. It was many years ago. But I remember it like it was yesterday. I was walking back from my stand on a morning hunt. I saw some movement so I froze. After about a minute a doe started moving again at about 40yds. She got to 35yds and stopped and put her head down and started browsing. I thought what luck. I drew back my bow, put the pin right in the crease and let one fly. "THWACK" I was so focused on the sight picture I never saw that little sapling sticking up. I dead centered it. Couldn't pull the arrow out. I had to unscrew the shaft and leave the broadhead in the tree.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jc189
5sdad, I hate to admit it, but I have killed a sapling also. It was many years ago. But I remember it like it was yesterday. I was walking back from my stand on a morning hunt. I saw some movement so I froze. After about a minute a doe started moving again at about 40yds. She got to 35yds and stopped and put her head down and started browsing. I thought what luck. I drew back my bow, put the pin right in the crease and let one fly. "THWACK" I was so focused on the sight picture I never saw that little sapling sticking up. I dead centered it. Couldn't pull the arrow out. I had to unscrew the shaft and leave the broadhead in the tree.

My hunting partner had a tool for removing broadheads from trees - unscrew shaft, twist end of tool into broadhead, then place part of tool against tree, lean down on lever, and presto!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Well that sounds like quite the invention, I hope I don't ever need to use it in the future. Lol.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jc189
Well that sounds like quite the invention, I hope I don't ever need to use it in the future. Lol.

While I was very glad that he had it, I always wondered what foresight possessed him to spend money on it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 69 invisible), 3,316 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,832
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.