Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Must be slipping, as I missed all this drama.

I will comment that I've never seen a personal injury from Cond 2 carry, but did know a guy who slaughtered a Fed Signal siren unit while attempting to draw his weapon while simultaneously exiting his squad. It was the only shot fired at that scene, but only by a bare whisker.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
WTF takes a 1911 on half cock, and puts the muzzle against their palm to cock the fugger? Same said for the guys that let the hammer down on a live round? chippy, you should start hanging out with a different crowd....

The ignorant fool said he had just commenced clearing the 1911 he'd been carrying half-cocked, when it went off "all by itself." He has yet to explain just how his paw got out in front of the muzzle while he was doing that.

It is ignorant folks such as this fellow over which I was hoping members of this forum could perhaps find an opportunity to exercise some influence.

Every day’s an adventure.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
All that Jeff Cooper mumbo jumbo makes me tired.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Exchipy
What you guys said is more accurate than you could have known. Except that no searching was involved. Reports of such things come to me regularly. Fortunately, it seems like 1911 half-cock shooting incidents are maybe being reported less frequently - fewer ignoramuses out there, I hope - and they don't often come with photos.

Are you saying you've become such a well known authority, that people seek you out and send you regular reports on shooting incidents?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i ran across a cochise deputy a few years ago, in an era of glocks he was still packing a well worn 1911. had it cocked and locked thumb break strap between hammer and frame.
I kind of grinned ans said from the condition of the finish i suspected he knew how to use it, partiicularly along the border.
I have had people approach me when carrying the same way, and say that was "scary". my response was, i guess it's doing it's job, it's suppose to be scary.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i ran across a cochise deputy a few years ago, in an era of glocks he was still packing a well worn 1911. had it cocked and locked thumb break strap between hammer and frame.
I kind of grinned ans said from the condition of the finish i suspected he knew how to use it, partiicularly along the border.
I have had people approach me when carrying the same way, and say that was "scary". my response was, i guess it's doing it's job, it's suppose to be scary.

Or, "Isn't that dangerous??" "Yes ... wouldn't do me much good if it wasn't."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my hunting buddies pointed out that "The hammer's back on your pistol'.

I was armed with a 1911 since we were doing maintenance work and not actively hunting. He had brought a rifle.

I asked if his rifles chamber was loaded and he replied in the affirmative. I then stated his hammer was back, too, but he just couldn't see it....

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I recently learned of yet another leg shooting. This fellow was handed a holstered 1911 with its hammer fully down on a loaded chamber. It shot him in the leg as he tried to stuff the rig into his pants, holster and all. I suppose there will forever be those who just don’t get the message: COCKED-AND-LOCKED.

Anyone who believes it is safe to carry a 1911 with its hammer fully down on a loaded chamber should try this:

Load a primed, BUT EMPTY, cartridge case into the chamber of a true 1911 pistol (not a Series 80 Government Model). While pointing that pistol in a SAFE DIRECTION, slowly lower the hammer fully down. Then thumb the hammer back to just before it engages the half-cock notch and release it. Unless an extra strength firing pin spring was previously installed in that pistol, expect to hear a pop maybe three times out of five attempts.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ron, Cochise County Sheriffs Dept still uses the Colt 1911 as duty sidearm, no plastic for them to date.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So now a series 80 isn't a 1911?
Can I still carry mine cocked and locked or does that only apply to a "true 1911?"
Maybe I should just carry it Barney Fife style with an empty chamber and a magazine in my offside pocket.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Series 90 cocked and locked.
Trigger is great, no probs.....see no reason to convert it to series 70.

My dads 80 series GC did screw up and lock the FP fwd and that was kinda fun on the reload ( did it last shot on prev mag ). It is like a 70 now.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ya know, people doing silly chit w guns often shoot themselves or others. Usually blame the gun too.

It is fun when they only hurt themselves.
Know a couple guys w modified hands.

One of them a supposed instructor of some sort.

Last edited by hookeye; 08/11/20.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Oops. Half-cock carry didn't work out so well for this guy. Maybe next time, cocked-and-locked, eh?

What didn't work out for him, was having his paw out in front of the muzzle.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 700LH
What strikes me in this thread is those pictures and the thought that the people in them in the event of war would be defending America,...Damn!

Those people become the next "Jessica Lynch"..

They are flatly incompetent.

But it is far too politically incorrect to admit that, so they will make up a story about how they put up a "valiant fight" and make up some heroic nonsense, when the real story is a whole other matter.

The fact of the matter is that I had guys on my team/detail that day that were directly involved in the rescue of Jessica Lynch, when they were with their old SMUs and the "official" made for TV/Public/released by the Army version, versus what actually happened are two different things...

That is reality.

The fact is you have completely incompetent soldiers wandering around, leaving their weapons unattended, unsecured because "hey its a bright sunny day, and we are "non combatant type troops, we don't do any of that other stuff, we just hand stuff out to people, so the Iraqis would never do anything bad to us!"

They are that dumb. crazy

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Can’t thank you enough for republishing my original 1911 safety message. Another chance for it to reach someone who needs it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I agree that you should carry as you wish.

For my part, I carry cocked and locked. Always have. But I have shot, carried field stripped, changed mags, etc. for so long, I could literally do it blindfolded. First thing my gun hand goes to when I draw a 1911 is the safety. It's automatic.

Yep. 1911's have always been a constant for me since I started shooting, & yes, moving the thumb to the safety as soon as the hand goes to the weapons does become automatic over time.

Good story about your friend too even though it was not a happy ending.

MM

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
👍

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Alexander v. Armscor Precision Int'l

Corwin v. Armscor Precision Int'l

It makes me wonder if comments/information gathered here will later end up being used in litigation by Exchipy

I believe Corwin Versus is still an active case.

I will refrain from comment right now.

My oldest and closest friend manages 1/2 of a state's worth of public attorneys and we often discuss some of the things we have seen, both good and bad.

My opinion of Stephen W Anderson's conduct here is that it has been so low class/classless that even other defense attorneys are shaking their head.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Obviously, it was all a huge waste of time. I shoulda knowed better.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Corwin v. Armscor Precision Int'l.
I’m flattered you think me worthy of such detailed research.

The Corwin case (closed since early 2018), similar to others claims which followed, is actually what got me started on my campaign to spread the word promoting only cocked-and-locked carry for fully loaded 1911 pistols.

Corwin’s injury occurred in VA, a State in which a plaintiff’s personal injury claim is completely defeated if the plaintiff can be shown to be even 1% contributorily negligent in the cause of his injury. In an (unsuccessful) attempt to avoid that harsh VA law, as well as avoiding a likely gun savvy jury pool, the Corwin case was filed in Clark County (Las Vegas) NV, notorious for its liberal Democrat voters (potential jurors) and liberal Democrat judges, all likely to hold firm anti-gun views. Plaintiff’s Las Vegas attorney turned out to be a personal friend of our judge, and was excused of some pretty egregious misconduct in our case which should have got him fined by the judge, but didn’t. That Las Vegas attorney’s firm was somehow connected to the VA law firm which began the claim, part of a larger nationwide effort by liberal democrat oriented law firms to make big financial trouble for firearms manufacturers and thereby, through financial ruin, maybe get rid of those evil purveyors of death and misery, and coincidentally make a whole bunch of money for themselves in the process.

The Corwin case should have been forced to relocate to very conservative Nye County NV, where Armscor is located, which borders Clark County. But, Armscor’s then attorney specialized in general business matters, didn’t know much about guns, was “inexperienced” in the intricacies of civil litigation, was a resident of Las Vegas and therefore thought it awfully convenient plaintiff’s attorney chose to litigate in Las Vegas. Unfortunately, this all happened while I was away in Afghanistan for five years, teaching criminal justice. The case was already irretrievably stuck in Clark County by the time I returned and reconnected with Armscor. It then became my task to sort it all out and make the best of it.

First thing I did was consider hiring replacement counsel. High Standard Mfg., a co-defendant with Armscor in the case, was represented by a very competent civil litigation attorney who also knew guns. As soon as High Standard bankrupted out of the case, I immediately hired its attorney to represent Armscor, replacing Armscor’s previous “inexperienced” attorney. Things were soon looking better, but it ultimately wasn’t enough.

So, here are the case facts:

Corwin was relaxing in the living room of his rural VA home, along with his wife and a male friend of his, following a slight bit of boozing and light drug use. His fully loaded .45ACP 1911 was in Condition 2 (hammer fully lowered) in a nylon fabric holster, resting on a fabric covered couch, some feet away from him. (The user’s manual which came with Corwin’s 1911 did not allow the Condition 2 option, only fire immediately or engage the thumb safety.) He leaned over from his chair to fetch his pistol and grabbed the holstered 1911 by the muzzle, dragging it across the surface of the couch toward himself. As he was doing this, the pistol discharged, the bullet passing through the palm of his right hand and into his abdomen, causing an extremely serious wound, requiring much expensive medical treatment.

When the local law arrived, they saw what they took to be a defensive wound to Corwin’s palm, in addition to his abdominal wound, and immediately accuse the wife of shooting Corwin. Both Corwin and his friend said that wasn’t so. Corwin said he thought the hammer may have snagged on a seam in the couch fabric, was partially pulled back, then released to fire the cartridge. The suspicious cops sent the pistol and remaining ammunition to the state crime lab to have the story checked out. A VA state crime lab technician was able to get Corwin’s 1911 pistol to fire a chambered primed case three times out of five attempts by pulling back the hammer to just short of the half-cock notch and releasing it.

The facts and the controlling VA law heavily favored Armscor. Unfortunately, the biased judge, the sleazy plaintiff’s attorney, and a potentially anti-gun jury did not. In addition, Armscor’s supposed Las Vegas “firearms expert” and the retained medical expert both got unusually greedy at the last minute and engaged in what could have easily constituted extortion, including veiled threats of withheld or “modified” testimony should additional and unwarranted financial benefit to them not be forthcoming. In view of those issues, it was thought best that Armscor immediately settle the case for an amount estimated to be significantly less than the potential cost of trying the case to a win, perhaps reached only on appeal. So, that’s what was done.

Some tough lessons there for Armscor:
1. Don’t ever let a firearms product liability lawsuit proceed in liberal Clark County, it’s not proper venue anyway;
2. Don’t get cheap and hire as your “firearms expert” a local firearms dealer with whom you’re already in an ongoing business relationship;
3. If you hire a medical expert, which I’m not sure is even necessary where you’ve got liability beat, then get all the agreed terms for that expert’s service clearly fixed; and
4. Retain competent counsel.

Those lessons have been well learned, with Armscor in the years since then doing as well on claims as its self-interested insurance carriers will permit. Can’t stop insurance carriers from settling meritless claims simply because they see it as cheaper for themselves than defeating such claims. It’s really not about what’s best for the insured.

I have seen some people do their best to spin events, but the above has me shaking my head in disgust.

How you have a job is beyond me, especially in light of your conduct on a public forum.

You run down the other attorneys, calling them "sleazy"'

You run down the judge calling him "biased".

You bad mouth the medical expert, bad mouth the firearms expert, and even bad mouth the victim/plaintiff.

You even bad mouth the citizens on the jury.

This is really nothing new to those of us who have read your previous posts here, as you have a documented history of running down decorated law enforcement veterans of both NYPD's Stakeout Unit and the Texas Rangers.

I did note that you never bothered to mention the company you represent actually taking any personal responsibility.

Personally I find your conduct disgusting.

And it was not "detailed research"

It was a 30 second query. The phrase "know your audience" comes to mind...

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,821
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.