Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Neck/shoulder junction. Will break spine and be an instant kill.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Maybe 7 o'clock on my dot, maybe the dot. Somewhere right there will work fine. No steps will be taken and if any are his nose will be in the dirt with his ass pushing him about 10 yards max.

^^^THIS^^^ but maybe a hair lower at the base of the neck in front of the shoulder. Like 10gaugemag said, maybe at 7:00 of where his dot is. There's a lot of plumbing that goes through there. I shot one there with a bow one time and when he spun around, it was like a garden hose spraying blood out of his neck.

I've killed a ton of deer with that shot.

All dependent upon height/angle of where the bullet is coming from IMO

Agreed, shot placement and angle is everything. I'm generally hunting from about the same height that the OP is and I've never lost one when hitting them where described. A better example of this spot is JPro's picture. That's the sweet spot.

Originally Posted by JPro
I'm generally going for a hit anywhere in this outline with a rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by StoneCutter; 10/17/22.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Aim for the heart, only somewhat issue is that chest will fill up before it starts bleeding out, might not have a blood trail for a few yards or so if they decide to run. I love that shot and wont hesitate to take it.

Last edited by killerv; 10/18/22.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Imagine the kill zone like a basketball and you want to aim so your bullet passes through the center of the ball.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Imagine the kill zone like a basketball and you want to aim so your bullet passes through the center of the ball.

That's how I always explain it to new hunters also.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pertnear
Originally Posted by MAC
A good rule of thumb is to place the bullet so it will hit the far shoulder if the animal isn't directly broadside. That ensure you get the vitals. That trick was taught to me by a PH in Africa and it has held true in my experience. It isn't high tech and it isn't fancy but it is effective.
+1 Good advice.

My rule of thumb is to aim where you want the bullet to exit on the far side.

Exactly.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yep, crease between the shoulder and neck to save meat, and closer to the point of the shoulder if you want to break down the skeletal system a little.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CRS

Yep, crease between the shoulder and neck to save meat, and closer to the point of the shoulder if you want to break down the skeletal system a little.

Looks good to me! Seems like lots of hunters forget to shoot for the exit. This shot saves the rear quarter if everything goes right.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by MAC
A good rule of thumb is to place the bullet so it will hit the far shoulder if the animal isn't directly broadside. That ensure you get the vitals. That trick was taught to me by a PH in Africa and it has held true in my experience. It isn't high tech and it isn't fancy but it is effective.

Far shoulder for quartering away, near shoulder for quartering to.
SnT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems like the only deer I generally get to shoot at that angle is the occasional buck, as most of the does I shoot for meat will get a broadside lung hit. I do manage to shoot a fair number of hogs with the quartering-to shot, sometimes as they are crossing a shooting lane diagonally. I rather like the shot, as it tends to dump them right on their snouts.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pertnear
Originally Posted by MAC
+1 Good advice.

My rule of thumb is to aim where you want the bullet to exit on the far side.

Bingo

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thats a neck shot if I ever seen one!

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's if quartering away, not towards @ 7S yards and the neck and head were very visible, I would shoot it just below the base of the head.

If I were a beginner, depending on the angle, middle back ribcage, toward the opposite shoulder.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This is the absolutely correct answer. Remember, you're not looking to put a bullet on skin, you're wanting to put it where it kills. The rest is just in the way.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

This is the absolutely correct answer. Remember, you're not looking to put a bullet on skin, you're wanting to put it where it kills. The rest is just in the way.

Killed several with that shot. There's a lot of critical life enabling structures there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NVhntr
In Nevada, next to the road.

LOL

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My suggestion: you aren't aiming at a point on the outside of the deer. You are aiming at a point on the inside of the deer - with a view to destroying something immediately vital to the deer's life. Have a look at pictures of a deer's internal anatomy from various angles, or have a really good look at the anatomy of the next one you see dressed (if it hasn't all been turned to jelly by the bullet) and visualise that as you aim.

The heart lies low in the chest, but a hit there generally sees the deer bolt, even though they usually don't go far, and so you may have to go find it. Above that though there is important plumbing, heading up toward the spinal column, which dips fairly low between the shoulders. There is also a major nerve junction behind the scapula, coming off the spine. A bullet in this space will usually do a fine job, and if on the way it goes through, say, the socket end of the scapula the result is usually amplified by bone splinters. If you are high above the deer you may be putting it in between the upper edge of the scapula and the spine, or directly into the spine. From directly in front the shot into the spine in the neck through the front of the neck also suggests itself or, if the deer puts its head down, into the spine from above. The point is though to think about what you want the bullet to transect, inside the deer, not about things like where the "front shoulder" is.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
On the two-track you are parked on.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Yoder409
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Too far to the left..

Only saving grace to that shot might be that the NBT flies apart and gets some lung. A sturdy bullet will likely just tear a bunch of meat out and now you've got a runner.

Farther right and a whisker lower for me.

I agree with you Yoder. That yellow dot is a very poor shot placement. No bueno.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by NVhntr
In Nevada, next to the road.

LOL

In Nevada, you make your own roads..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I've shot two bucks positioned as in the pic, both times in the yellow circled area. First one was with a .308 180gr. RN, he managed to go 30yds. the second was with a 12ga. shotgun slug that one was a bang flop.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

257 members (16penny, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 204guy, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,621
Posts18,474,015
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.