Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I recently bought a beautiful custom Remington 1903A3 (I know, too bad it got sporterized) in 30-06. It has a AAAA grade Claro walnut stock with 4 panels of fine checkering, jeweled bolt, butter knife bolt handle, MKII safety. It's lightweight compared to other sporters due to the mountain contour barrel. I've always wanted a nice checkered walnut stocked rifle. I want to shoot this rifle and perhaps take it on a hunt. It might come along as a back up? Regardless of intended use, I'd like to scope it. I'm debating whether or not to put modern optics on such a classic rifle. Do I pick up a used Vari-X, Burris Signature or Fullfield USA model, Bushnell Elite? Any of which can be found in gloss finish if so desired(not necessary.) I don't want to cheapen the rifle, for someone took great care building this rifle, and I'm sure it wasn't cheap.
As far as new optics go, the VX3HD still has classic aesthetics other than the CDS. The Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 can be had for a good deal and doesn't have the huge eye piece that's so common on today's scopes, ie. the Burris Signature HD. No way will a made in China scope go on this rifle. I'd like to stay under $500. Is a used USA Fullfield an insult to the rifle? I'd like to at least stay respectful to the original owner, as pathetic as that sounds. I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks for reading.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Pix!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
3-12 LRTSi is the bomb.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tract optics has their Tekoa HD for $499 right now. It's not lightweight, it's not made in America and it has a huge eyepiece, but it's a lot of glass for the money.

Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 is a popular choice for long actions and can be found in good shape on the EE pretty regularly.

SWFA 6x just works. It's the ugliest scope I own and heavy for a fixed power scope.

Under $500 those are the only options that I've found that I've been happy with.

P.S. I may have some conquests in various reticle options in the safe if you decide to go that route and can't find one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No scolding from this corner on a nice conversion. The A3 is, let’s face it, a wartime concession to fast and cheap production, albeit with a superior sight. Aside from some pristine examples retained for study and historical display, WTF difference does it make if someone wants to turn a good set of rifle bones into a fine sporter? Just how many originals do we need to get the point across, so to speak.

I like to put good solid, “period correct” fixed powers like K4s or Lyman Perma-centers on rifles like yours because they work fine and look good to according to my notions. You, as the owner, should feel free to use whatever the Hell makes you all tingly.

I do feel somewhat slighted that you haven’t posted a pic of your pet. That’s unacceptable.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
New to the iPhone. I downloaded a few pics and tried to post unsuccessfully.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dubiedog
I recently bought a beautiful custom Remington 1903A3 (I know, too bad it got sporterized) in 30-06. It has a AAAA grade Claro walnut stock with 4 panels of fine checkering, jeweled bolt, butter knife bolt handle, MKII safety. It's lightweight compared to other sporters due to the mountain contour barrel. I've always wanted a nice checkered walnut stocked rifle. I want to shoot this rifle and perhaps take it on a hunt. It might come along as a back up? Regardless of intended use, I'd like to scope it. I'm debating whether or not to put modern optics on such a classic rifle. Do I pick up a used Vari-X, Burris Signature or Fullfield USA model, Bushnell Elite? Any of which can be found in gloss finish if so desired(not necessary.) I don't want to cheapen the rifle, for someone took great care building this rifle, and I'm sure it wasn't cheap.
As far as new optics go, the VX3HD still has classic aesthetics other than the CDS. The Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 can be had for a good deal and doesn't have the huge eye piece that's so common on today's scopes, ie. the Burris Signature HD. No way will a made in China scope go on this rifle. I'd like to stay under $500. Is a used USA Fullfield an insult to the rifle? I'd like to at least stay respectful to the original owner, as pathetic as that sounds. I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks for reading.
IMO once a curio and relic is chopped there is no reason to attempt to preserve and classic feature. It's just another barreled receiver at that point.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Pics are in the image gallery. No I need to figure out to get them moved here.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Originally Posted by huntsman22

That looks great! Keep the comments coming, great suggestions so far.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I would go with a vintage B&L , Weaver, Redfield, etc. I hate the looks of a classic sporter with a newer scope on them.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Bearded
Tract optics has their Tekoa HD for $499 right now. It's not lightweight, it's not made in America and it has a huge eyepiece, but it's a lot of glass for the money.

Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 is a popular choice for long actions and can be found in good shape on the EE pretty regularly.

SWFA 6x just works. It's the ugliest scope I own and heavy for a fixed power scope.

Under $500 those are the only options that I've found that I've been happy with.

P.S. I may have some conquests in various reticle options in the safe if you decide to go that route and can't find one.

Great suggestions, and thanks for the “offer” on a Conquest. I have a 4-16x50 Conquest on another rifle and am familiar with that glass. It is tough to beat. I might pm you if I decide to go that route and can’t locate one.

Last edited by Dubiedog; 10/17/22.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
No scolding from this corner on a nice conversion. The A3 is, let’s face it, a wartime concession to fast and cheap production, albeit with a superior sight. Aside from some pristine examples retained for study and historical display, WTF difference does it make if someone wants to turn a good set of rifle bones into a fine sporter? Just how many originals do we need to get the point across, so to speak.

I like to put good solid, “period correct” fixed powers like K4s or Lyman Perma-centers on rifles like yours because they work fine and look good to according to my notions. You, as the owner, should feel free to use whatever the Hell makes you all tingly.

I do feel somewhat slighted that you haven’t posted a pic of your pet. That’s unacceptable.

Thanks Pappy! I am torn on period correct optics, but I feel I might be sacrificing optical quality more than I’d like to. It’s not out of the question at all.
I did get pics into the image gallery but am still incompetent to get them into my thread.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Originally Posted by Dubiedog
Thanks for reading.
IMO once a curio and relic is chopped there is no reason to attempt to preserve and classic feature. It's just another barreled receiver at that point.

I can’t argue with that. I am considering new optics as well.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by kenster99
I would go with a vintage B&L , Weaver, Redfield, etc. I hate the looks of a classic sporter with a newer scope on them.

I agree with that for the most part. If I do go with modern optics, it won’t have exposed turrets. It’s a tall order nowadays.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's funnier than fhuqk,to watch the fretting over "looks" and zero concern towards mechanics. The 3-12x LRTSi Gen3's are simply sensational,but over the cited budget. Hint.

6x MQ for THE Win. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Big Stick
It's funnier than fhuqk,to watch the fretting over "looks" and zero concern towards mechanics. The 3-12x LRTSi Gen3's are simply sensational,but over the cited budget. Hint.

6x MQ for THE Win. Hint..............

Not sure how you conclude I have zero concern for function. I’ve explained clearly the potential use of the rifle, glad you gain some humor and hints from it though. As far as looks go, looks were an obvious concern to the builder. Why else the checkered walnut of higher grade? I do care what it looks like when scoped. Twisting turrets are of zero use for me on this rifle, so that function is irrelevant. I have heard the LRTSi is very under appreciated. Thanks for the input!

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by plumbum
Pix!

In the image gallery for now. 🤦🏽

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My "trouble" is that I actually fhuqking shoot and find it impossible to shift my brain into a low enough gear,to "think" like someone who does not. Hint.

It is never not funnier than fhuqk,to watch a Boob play Slap & Tickle with a scope sighting it in,then have no concerns for said piece of fhuqking schit's mechanical behavior. My FAVORITE is how an erector that do what you tell it,is somehow maligned because it has a turret,which enables the manipulations of same. A REAL reticle,is really going to fhuqk with your pointy head! Hint. LAUGHING!

I get pretty nervous with a NIB Rifle myself. Hint. LAUGHING!

REAL nervous. Hint. LAUGHING!

You Melting Snowflakes are a fhuqking RIOT! Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I no longer care what Bigs Dick has to say from Paradise…Hint

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
but are you fhuqking LAUGHING? Hint wink wink nudge nudge hint fhuqking LAUGHING hint hint nudge wink

2 Kings 2:23-24
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 13 invisible), 1,523 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.