Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
158XTP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Fellas just wondering about viability of getting an inexpensive bike for occasional 300mi journeys,-no cities, mostly open road . I'd make this run 2-3 times a month , leave friday return sunday. Main purpose is to cut down on car/fuel costs. My only- experience with bikes is dirt bikes ages ago, and was considering getting a bike for casual use anyway. What are the realities of a bike ride like this? Expert level only? Do you need more rest time than the time it takes to refuel? Thanks for any comments.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Four hours on a bike is nothing if you like to ride and have a reasonably suitable bike.

I’d get a V-STROM. If your idea doesn’t pan out somebody will buy it the day you put a sign on it.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 158XTP
Fellas just wondering about viability of getting an inexpensive bike for occasional 300mi journeys,-no cities, mostly open road . I'd make this run 2-3 times a month , leave friday return sunday.

You’re planning on riding a bike 600-900 miles each month?

😂

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fellas just wondering about viability of getting an inexpensive bike for occasional 300mi journeys,-no cities, mostly open road . I'd make this run 2-3 times a month , leave friday return sunday. Main purpose is to cut down on car/fuel costs. My only- experience with bikes is dirt bikes ages ago, and was considering getting a bike for casual use anyway. What are the realities of a bike ride like this? Expert level only? Do you need more rest time than the time it takes to refuel? Thanks for any comments.

I am assuming you mean a motorcycle.

You used the word inexpensive. That means different things to different people. If you'll have an approximate figure on that, you'll get better targeted feedback.

"What are the realities of a bike ride like this? Expert level only?"

Man, these questions are pretty vague too. Knocking out 300 miles on a motorcycle over the course of a weekend is easy. It takes no expertise.

I have ridden everything from scooters to dual sports to adventure bikes to sport tourers and full dressed touring bikes all across the country. Give a little bit more to go on and I'll try to give you some useful feedback.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Fellas just wondering about viability of getting an inexpensive bike for occasional 300mi journeys,-no cities, mostly open road . I'd make this run 2-3 times a month , leave friday return sunday. Main purpose is to cut down on car/fuel costs.

Not sure what you plan on spending but unless you buy a VERY inexpensive used bike you will never come out ahead as far as gas costs go. Add in safety gear like helmet, jacket, gloves, etc and you may even spend more. And you will be leaving the bike sit when these trips involve bad weather.
I rode for over 45 years before quitting. Some trips were riding to Alaska. One minor wreck can cost you dearly. You can be the safest and best rider in the world but if another driver decides to rear end you its game over.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Just about any Harley over a sportster will do it. Sportster will too but small tank - lots of stopping. I used to do 500 mile days on the Dyna, Road King and Road Glide with ease.

I'd look at Yamaha FJ09 whichg is more of a sport tourer.

Just about any motorcycle will do what you're asking - sit on them, be comfortable, biggest thing. 300 mile weekends are not all that hard/taxing on a bike or rider in decent shape.

Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My next bike will most likely be a gently used dual sport. Something along the lines of a klr650.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A sport touring bike is a PIA after 5 to 6 hours of riding. So as Teal stated, try before you buy. What feels comfortable for 5 minutes can become a killer after 3 hours of riding.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
A sport touring bike is a PIA after 5 to 6 hours of riding. So as Teal stated, try before you buy. What feels comfortable for 5 minutes can become a killer after 3 hours of riding.

That's a very ignorant comment. I rode this one from Mississippi to Oregon in 2010. Many 500+ mile days. It was very comfortable.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's not going to save you anything on fuel costs. You can buy a lot of gas for the car for what a bike costs. You're buying it for the fun of riding it and nothing more.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Borrow or rent a bike and try it first. It's not for everyone.......

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Tires/chains/sprockets etc. etc. , long short of it a motorcycle won't save you money.

I can only speak of sportbikes, NEVER seen one make it to 10K miles on a set of tires. Dual sport riders report the same level of tire wear.

A guy on TW200 website tracked his cost comparing his toyota truck 2wd 4cyl. vs. new TW200, The truck won hands-down, far more economical and far more comfortable/enjoyable, especially after the ''I got a new bike'' feeling wore off.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How often will you need the car because of weather?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

That's a very ignorant comment. I rode this one from Mississippi to Oregon in 2010. Many 500+ mile days. It was very comfortable.

You shouldn't drink Cap't. Morgan and ride, >you might spill your drink. smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
OK, so you may be on overnight trips (2-3 days). Find a good, used road bike - and something with bags; doesn't have to be big/heavy, but have enough storage (or rack for a big bag) to bring stuff with ya..

Unless you're under 30, I'd just suggest staying away from the sport/tour styles. Find a dealer and sit on a few - comfort is everything on longer trips.. Insurance is cheaper for bikes than for cars.. Many bikes get well over 40 mpg, so if your regular vehicle is a pickup, you will save on gas.

Agreed... But again, that can depend on the size/weight etc., of the rider and what's necessary for comfort.. Longest ride I've done was 933 miles in one day and I wasn't all that tired... But that sure as hell wasn't on some sport/tour bike.. It was on an HD Ultra Classic.

YMMV.

Last edited by Redneck; 10/17/22.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
158XTP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks fellas Im In Australia, some impressive rides mentioned above. Weather will be tropical to dry arid, no winter here, but heavy rain sometimes. Fuel costs are a big deal here. So are used car and ongoing costs. Hence looking at riding a bike( sorry motorbike ) Good to know the ride idistance tself is easily doable, thats a start. I will look at taking a few rides as suggested , Im in my 40's btw.

Lastly to the rcamuglia crying at my comments, yes I drive about 1000 miles a month at the moment. As part of my business.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks fellas Im In Australia, weather will be tropical to dry arid, no winter here, but heavy rain sometimes. Fuel costs are a big deal here. So are used car costs. Hence looking at riding a bike( sorry motorbike ) Good to know the ride itself is easily doable. I will look at taking a few rides as suggested , Im in my 40's.

Lastly to the rcamuglia crying at my comments, yes I drive about 1000 miles a month at the moment. Its part of my business. We actually have camuglias in my home town funnily enough. Former black hand mafia from ww2, now just regular guinea wops with old stories and big mouths. Have a nice day.

I'd want a dual sport or adventure bike if I were down under. I like the upright riding position they afford and the ability to go offroad is nice as well.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If your determined to go the bike route take a hard look at the Kawasaki KLR 650. 50+ mpg is easy unless you are running faster than 75mph. Tons of after market support for parts. Easy to work on, and very comfortable riding position.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get an electric one so you can get range anxiety and recharge 3 times on the way there and 3 mire times on the way back......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Four hours on a bike is nothing if you like to ride and have a reasonably suitable bike.

I’d get a V-STROM. If your idea doesn’t pan out somebody will buy it the day you put a sign on it.

VStroms make great all-arounders. The first generation had serious wind buffeting issues though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, Aero, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 14 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,676
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.