Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by renegade50
Australian Platypus.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You been reading too much bull chiett from Houston_2 and that POS is rubbing off on you, well, or at least she'd like to.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Badlands ram.......

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by BC30cal
The ram I shot on the hill behind my house.....

Brother Fubar;
Me again my friend, thanks for that photo.

We've seen it twice now and both times it was just jaw dropping for me.

I know you get to see the big Rockies on that island if I recall correctly, so you're getting to view some in the wild that I'll only dream of.

If anyone is going through Whitehorse, there is a game farm a bit north of town where they have a Stone and a Dall that are positively huge. I know it's not the same as a wild ram, but they still took my breath away Brother Fubar.

My long time friend took his ram this fall less than a kilometer from where I'd got one 31 years and 2 days previous to that. We were two weeks into the season, the rams had stopped showing up in the unusually hot fall and I suggested we go look at the ridges I used to chase sheep on and still chase mulies most falls. Sure enough, we put a couple nice ones to bed Friday night and he was able to get one Saturday morning.

Mine was 7½ and his was 2 years younger but a much heavier ram all around. It's amazing what better genetics and a good forest fire will do for the herd. wink

This as they say, used to be me...

[Linked Image]

All the best.

Dwayne

PS;
I shall do my best to avoid gummies, etc on your advice.. wink

Brother Dwayne.... Your post and sheep are the "good stuff" seriously!!!
I am somewhat familiar with your brand of sheep, the California Bighorn... as I was fortunate enough to draw a tag for the same subspecies.... now keep in mind I am a "wanna be" sheep hunter and am generally fascinated with wild sheep...
My bighorn was from the mountains of South central Oregon, of all places.
The unit I applied for had the best drawing odds but the worst trophy quality... I didn't care.
Much to my amazement, I drew a tag, I have very little luck in the tag lottery in general.
My financial situation at the time was well... meager... so I scouted , hunted and did everything on my own.
It was an amazing and incredibly difficult hunt... in 4 days of scouting and 6 days of hunting I saw one ram I would consider worthy.
In my unit there was one other hunter, we spent time together and he wasn't having much luck either. He was a gentleman my age and was hunting with his son.
His son was a hardcore sheep hunter with several rams under his belt!
We were all struggling, the temps were in the 90's.... the climb was 2000' each day.... but that is sheep hunting...
I did fill my tag on the 6th day of hunting...

And here he is....

Brother Fubar;
That is a wonderful California sir!

If the terrain is like it looks to be in your photo AND it's hot AND maybe the herd isn't on the up cycle like it was when I got mine in the early '90's, then the hard truth is that it'll take 7½ years to make a 3/4 curl and some weren't doing that.

As mentioned we had a fire up there in 2003 after a big die off in '96, so the habitat is exponentially better now and my friends ram showed that.

We didn't see many ewes and lambs though Brother Fubar, so we're worried that they'll need to suspend the LEH hunt - 2 tags for residents - until the herd rebuilds again.

You talked about 2000' and I'll try to put this into perspective for the folks who've not trod the paths that some of us crazier types do.

In this photo - I showed it already sorry - but when we took off it was from the rocks on the left side of the photo, about a third of the way down from the top.

[Linked Image]

When we were at the bottom, I had a GPS pointer marked where we could get a pickup to and have cell service, so that day we went upwards to where the photo was taken which is maybe 400 yards as the crow flies from a grown in skidder track we could get to.

Here's the thing, at the bottom it read we were only 1100 yards from that truck accessible spot, so up we went. It took us on average about 15 minutes hard pounding to knock off each 100 yards though Brother Fubar!!!

Think the truck read 31°C that day up top too, so 88°F in the shade.

Much steep, much warm... grin

Nice ram though for sure Brother Fubar, any ram earned that way is a good one and then some.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 10/17/22.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by EdM
A week or so ago.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's awesome.... I also shoot that many shells per bird... I thought I was the only one... very cool

I witnessed that. There were at least 30 times that many.

Prick.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by geedubya
Brother G.... I am not kidding, I was photographing sheep the year before the world record died... from the same place my pic's are from

I do not doubt that one ioata.

ya!

GWB

Badlands S. Dakota?
Great pic's perfect light... fubar likes

Yup!

Just think, a flatlander like me has to travel thousands of miles. Youse' guys have em' in your back yard!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 10/17/22.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Australian Platypus.

You been reading too much bull chiett from Houston_2 and that POS is rubbing off on you, well, or at least she'd like to.
Toot toot is starving for attention.
If more members would not respond to him like about 5 of us are currently doing.
He will wither away...

Feeding him anything post wise is a fools errand...
👍👍👍

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Australian Platypus.

Toot toot is starving for attention.
If more members would not respond to him like about 5 of us are currently doing.
He will wither away...

Feeding him anything post wise is a fools errand...
👍👍👍

Truth. And BTW, nice Platypus

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/17/22.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Brother Fubar;

I know you get to see the big Rockies on that island if I recall correctly, so you're getting to view some in the wild that I'll only dream of.

If anyone is going through Whitehorse, there is a game farm a bit north of town where they have a Stone and a Dall that are positively huge. I know it's not the same as a wild ram, but they still took my breath away Brother Fubar.

My long time friend took his ram this fall less than a kilometer from where I'd got one 31 years and 2 days previous to that. We were two weeks into the season, the rams had stopped showing up in the unusually hot fall and I suggested we go look at the ridges I used to chase sheep on and still chase mulies most falls. Sure enough, we put a couple nice ones to bed Friday night and he was able to get one Saturday morning.

Mine was 7½ and his was 2 years younger but a much heavier ram all around. It's amazing what better genetics and a good forest fire will do for the herd. wink

[Linked Image]

All the best.

Dwayne

PS;

I am somewhat familiar with your brand of sheep, the California Bighorn... as I was fortunate enough to draw a tag for the same subspecies.... now keep in mind I am a "wanna be" sheep hunter and am generally fascinated with wild sheep...
The unit I applied for had the best drawing odds but the worst trophy quality... I didn't care.
Much to my amazement, I drew a tag, I have very little luck in the tag lottery in general.
My financial situation at the time was well... meager... so I scouted , hunted and did everything on my own.
It was an amazing and incredibly difficult hunt... in 4 days of scouting and 6 days of hunting I saw one ram I would consider worthy.
In my unit there was one other hunter, we spent time together and he wasn't having much luck either. He was a gentleman my age and was hunting with his son.
We were all struggling, the temps were in the 90's.... the climb was 2000' each day.... but that is sheep hunting...

And here he is....

Brother Fubar;

If the terrain is like it looks to be in your photo AND it's hot AND maybe the herd isn't on the up cycle like it was when I got mine in the early '90's, then the hard truth is that it'll take 7½ years to make a 3/4 curl and some weren't doing that.

As mentioned we had a fire up there in 2003 after a big die off in '96, so the habitat is exponentially better now and my friends ram showed that.

We didn't see many ewes and lambs though Brother Fubar, so we're worried that they'll need to suspend the LEH hunt - 2 tags for residents - until the herd rebuilds again.

You talked about 2000' and I'll try to put this into perspective for the folks who've not trod the paths that some of us crazier types do.

In this photo - I showed it already sorry - but when we took off it was from the rocks on the left side of the photo, about a third of the way down from the top.

[Linked Image]

When we were at the bottom, I had a GPS pointer marked where we could get a pickup to and have cell service, so that day we went upwards to where the photo was taken which is maybe 400 yards as the crow flies from a grown in skidder track we could get to.

Here's the thing, at the bottom it read we were only 1100 yards from that truck accessible spot, so up we went. It took us on average about 15 minutes hard pounding to knock off each 100 yards though Brother Fubar!!!

Nice ram though for sure Brother Fubar, any ram earned that way is a good one and then some.

Dwayne

Oregon bighorn country....

And one tired middle aged hunter.... smile

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
GW;
Good evening to you my friend, I trust all is well with you and your wonderful family.

As you mentioned, we're very blessed to have stuff in our back yards that many folks don't get to see very often.

This was two springs back when we had a nice little herd of California's on a ridge just behind our place. We're literally on an afternoon walk in the neighborhood when we saw these two.

[Linked Image]

Couple more at the same area the winter before.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These are the ones we should be seeing now, but aren't this year, so as mentioned to Brother Fubar, we're still hoping they show up and aren't dead.

All the best and good hunting GW.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 10/17/22.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by EdM
A week or so ago.

4 pc mcnugetts are cheaper

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

Brother Fubar;

[Linked Image]

All the best.

Dwayne

PS;

And here he is....

Brother Fubar;

[Linked Image]

Dwayne

Great post, story, hunt and kill.

SOB. Wish it had been me.

What a great bucket list accomplishment.

Jealous here of both you and BC30.

MAGA.

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/17/22.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Brother Fubar;

[Linked Image]

All the best.

Dwayne

PS;

And here he is....

Brother Fubar;

[Linked Image]

Dwayne

Great post, story, hunt and kill.

SOB. Wish it had been me.

What a great bucket list accomplishment.

MAGA.

Thank you Brother Jag.... gotta admit I am more than a little jealous of your mule deer.... but this is why i love this place... smile

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Brother Fubar;
Thanks for the additional sheep photos.

Indeed it looks to be steep, but that's where they live isn't it?

Crazy things we hunters do, you know? laugh

While I wasn't running up and down, I was still feeling pretty salty to trod the same places at 60 that I did when I was 30, though I do use a walking stick now for sure Brother Fubar and it's a huge help.

Photo from the sheep rocks looking down onto the main Okanagan.

[Linked Image]

Thanks so much again, I'm really enjoying this very much.

Best to one and all.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kolofardos
[Linked Image]

Kolofardos;
Evening my friend and fellow denizen of BC.

Nice bull!!!

Thanks for joining in!

Photo of a magic spot that we just see stuff.

[Linked Image]

All the best and good hunting my friend.

Dwayne

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yard sheep... do exist... smile

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by kolofardos
[Linked Image]

Kolofardos;
Evening my friend and fellow denizen of BC.

Nice bull!!!

Thanks for joining in!

Photo of a magic spot that we just see stuff.

[Linked Image]

All the best and good hunting my friend.

Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne! Been a couple of years without one, and I'm thrilled to be able to fill the freezer. Good hunting to you as well.

Page 40 of 300 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 299 300

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 64 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,480
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.