Page 13 of 26 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 25 26
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
If you have to ask, I see the problem..

😁😁😁

There are two sides in this conversation.
Both, think you are talking about the other.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I think it's both.

Anyone who would think a 223 won't kill deer is an idiot.
22LR kills tens of thousands of cows ever year.
Most, easily.

Don't think many here think it can't work.

They think there are better choices.

Ones that don't require such specific bullet choices.
Ones that don't require using marksmanship as a virtue signal.

Not that often a 270 and up, for deer, conversation becomes so
focused on bullet. Or there are so many quotes about
"It's where you hit 'em, marksmanship first..."
Curious that?

Have seen numerous deer shot with a 22-250. Never a fail, big meat loss
if the shoulder got hit.

Would try a fast twist 223 just to see what all the fuss is about.
Can't use an AR, no interest in buying a bolt just to find a deer rifle.
Got that covered from 243-338.
No need for fast twist. Any good 55 or 60 grain SP will kill em with no drama.

A deer is not exactly a large animal. A big one around here will be 200-225#, hardly large.

If a guy isn't comfortable using one then don't use it.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/20/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Dusty246
That's what I need to know, I have expanding bullets especially the 60 Partition I'll load.
Will work like you never imagined possible.

The good thing about a Partition is it is very soft so immediate expansion kills quickly.

Not like these tougher bullets everybody wants to use in sub calibers that leave narrow wound channels.

The Partition, Nosler Bonded and Fusion all expand very well and penetrate deeply. They all make mush of soft tissue.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ve always been bigger is better about most things. If .223 was my only option I wouldn’t hesitate, but I’m not grabbing it when I have plenty of other options in the .243, .264, .284 and .308 options. I’ve seen a [bleep] pile of deer killed with a Winchester 68 .22lr back in the 70’s when I was a kid that dropped in their tracks after taking one in the ear hole. Deer die pretty damn easily if shot placement is correct. It’s the less than perfect shot opportunities that make the difference.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Dusty246
That's what I need to know, I have expanding bullets especially the 60 Partition I'll load.
Will work like you never imagined possible.

The good thing about a Partition is it is very soft so immediate expansion kills quickly.

Not like these tougher bullets everybody wants to use in sub calibers that leave narrow wound channels.

The Partition, Nosler Bonded and Fusion all expand very well and penetrate deeply. They all make mush of soft tissue.

Key reason most people have bad experiences with the smaller calibers from .224 to .257 diameter bullets that are offered in both varmint and thin Skinned big game applications. They throw a light for caliber varmint bullet at a deer and blame the chambering.

Last edited by jackmountain; 10/23/22.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Shot a nice whitetail buck tonight with a .222 and 55 grain hollow point gamekings . Broke his neck at 52 yds. Pretty low drama. My boys and I have shot close to 40 deer with this rifle and bullet combo. Some lung shots, but mostly neck, and head shots. Pretty lethal combo. I have alot of confidence in it.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’d be shooting for bone regardless with a Barnes. They make very narrow wound channels IME. A 55gr Hornady or Speer or a Tipped Matchking will give much more dramatic results on lung shots.

So you haven’t used a Barnes you’re saying…
I’m saying I’ve killed a train car full of schit with the 53TSX and it leaves small diameter wound channels.

I can’t be believe that 2 grains makes a difference. The 55gr ttsx has tiny entrance and exit but the wounding inside is remarkable.
Think he is comparing the wound channel to that of a conventional SP.

I know. The actual wound channel inside is more than I've seen from a conventional SP. The entrance and exits are smaller than a SP, IMO.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If a guy isn't comfortable using one then don't use it.

That's really the bottom line.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atse
Shot a nice whitetail buck tonight with a .222 and 55 grain hollow point gamekings . Broke his neck at 52 yds. Pretty low drama. My boys and I have shot close to 40 deer with this rifle and bullet combo. Some lung shots, but mostly neck, and head shots. Pretty lethal combo. I have alot of confidence in it.
If that bullet works anything like the SBT it's wicked.

We have shot a lot of deer with the SP Game king from 223 up to the Swift. Mainly lungs and its usually instant lights out.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’d be shooting for bone regardless with a Barnes. They make very narrow wound channels IME. A 55gr Hornady or Speer or a Tipped Matchking will give much more dramatic results on lung shots.

So you haven’t used a Barnes you’re saying…
I’m saying I’ve killed a train car full of schit with the 53TSX and it leaves small diameter wound channels.

I can’t be believe that 2 grains makes a difference. The 55gr ttsx has tiny entrance and exit but the wounding inside is remarkable.
Think he is comparing the wound channel to that of a conventional SP.

I know. The actual wound channel inside is more than I've seen from a conventional SP. The entrance and exits are smaller than a SP, IMO.
And those exits are how to get them to leak.

Not arguing just stating where my preference lies. Most deer I have seen shot with a regular SP or Partition just stiffen up and fall over. Especially when shot with the hotter 22s.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

We have shot a lot of deer with the SP Game king from 223 up to the Swift. Mainly lungs and its usually instant lights out.

I'm going to have to try some SGK's.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I have always had good luck with every Sierra bullet I've tried. Why I try other bullets on occasion I don't know - should just stick with Sierras for everything.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Never tried the 65 grain flavor yet but may one of these days.

I have a bunch of 62 grain BTSP loaded that I believe are Hornady. They work on hogs but most anything will with the correct shot placement.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
That should do just fine Gunner. But you know that.

Shot mine at 200 on Monday. I love that little rifle.

55gr ttsx over 4198.

Good stuff, Thanks T and Big B, yes, the little rifle has no recoil, the 2.5-8 Leupold is plenty for any 250 yard max hunting, i intend to find out what those little slugs will do this season.

Grabbed a Butler Creek cap for the objective, couple camo duct tape wraps around scope tube, that ugly little Ruger American Predator 223 is ready for all weather pig popping, 11 rounds on board of 62gr Bearclaw at 3100 has got to count for something ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
One of the biggest grizzlies ever killed was shot by an Indian woman using a 22 LR. Just because a cartridge will kill an animal doesn't mean that it's ideal. I've killed deer with the 223, but why use it when there are far better choices.
I've wondered how many Indian women with 22's have been killed by PO's grizzlies. You hear about stuff like this because it's the exception, not the rule. The other 99% of bear hunters with 22's get hashed but that's expected.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot an antelope with my .223 and 62 gr Federal Fusions this year.

Worked VERY well.

I’ll be using that gun more often for BG now. Picked up some 77 gr TMKs last week. Schits gonna get bloody. Real bloody.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
One of the biggest grizzlies ever killed was shot by an Indian woman using a 22 LR. Just because a cartridge will kill an animal doesn't mean that it's ideal. I've killed deer with the 223, but why use it when there are far better choices.
I've wondered how many Indian women with 22's have been killed by PO's grizzlies. You hear about stuff like this because it's the exception, not the rule. The other 99% of bear hunters with 22's get hashed but that's expected.

Leave it to the β€˜fire to wander off topic and start arguing about 22 LRs.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I shot an antelope with my .223 and 62 gr Federal Fusions this year.

Worked VERY well.

I’ll be using that gun more often for BG now. Picked up some 77 gr TMKs last week. Schits gonna get bloody. Real bloody.
Where did you find the TMK’s around here they’re unobtanium.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Lots and lots of brown bears that live near villages in the AK bush that are carrying around 22 bullets and birdshot. Not everyone wants to skin and butcher a stinking bear thats tearing up the smokehouse or getting in the garbage. Almost never hear of a villager getting roughed up by a bear.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

55gr ttsx over 4198.

Good stuff, Thanks T and Big B, yes, the little rifle has no recoil, the 2.5-8 Leupold is plenty for any 250 yard max hunting, i intend to find out what those little slugs will do this season.

Grabbed a Butler Creek cap for the objective, couple camo duct tape wraps around scope tube, that ugly little Ruger American Predator 223 is ready for all weather pig popping, 11 rounds on board of 62gr Bearclaw at 3100 has got to count for something ; ]

What powder are you using?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

55gr ttsx over 4198.

What powder are you using?

Hey Big T, using 26gr CFE-223 under both 62gr Bearclaw and 64gr Nosler Bonded, velocity is average of both rounds, they also shoot together in a 5 round group of around 1.25 inches, [little windy] plenty good enough for 250 yard max deer/pig hunting.

i put up damn near 800 rounds of these, the new LC Match brass has a bit to fat of an ass for Wifes PSA mid length AR-15 house guns, had a couple FTF checking the rounds for her, had to buy a rifle to shoot them in, that little Ruger bolt eats em up like a fat kid on a dish of butterscotch candy!

Trump Won!
Page 13 of 26 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (12344mag, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 12savage, 61 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,643
Posts18,512,351
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.