Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I want to extend the stock on my Savage 99G .300

I would prefer to use a wood "add on" versus a rubber/foam/whatever add on that will make the rifle look like crap (pretty Savages should not be dis-figured).

Is there a source for materials that I can use to do this (pre made) or is this something that I will have to 'manufacture' myslef? I have the wood working experience and some of the tools needed to do it but I would prefer a pre-made add on of some type.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
It's quite obvious to me that the problem lies not with your rifle, but with you. Your arms are too long. Partial amputation would be my solution, thereby saving yet another 99 from "Bubba." grin grin In other words, take your wood working experience and step away from that 99. smile smile

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Yeah the arms 'are' too long.

The original stock was modified by someone else. See here:

[Linked Image]

I just want to add a little wood to the stock by removing the butt plate, adding a removable shaped block to add the extra 2 inches that I need, then replacing the but plate. I DO NOT want to change the original (modified) butt stock in any way, I just want to add a couple of inches in length, replace the butt stock and be happy. Now I know that you may think that it will be ugly, but trust me, I have over 35 years in wood experience and it will look very very pretty.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Ah yes, you posted a pic of that earlier. Adding a piece of wood isn't going to harm that rifle. Have at it and be sure to post a pic of the end result. smile smile

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tis a sad thing what some will do to a fine rifle.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I agree. I got it at a fair price. I too think that and modification to an beauriful firearm is criminal.

I can only hope that I can at least do a good enough job that the modification will not be visible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be easier to fit another buttstock than to make an invisible fix on that one.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Probably easier if I don't want the checkering. About $200.00 if I want one with the checkering. Also alot more expensive to buy a new one then to just buy a piece and mill it myself. That is why I asked if there were any pre-made add ons.

Guess that I will have my work cut out for me. Shouldn't take more than 8 hours including finishing.

Last edited by Savage_The_Barbarian; 10/31/07.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Instead of trying to match the wood, put a different kind of wood to add the extra length you need. Like zebra wood, or Bulbingo, or other exotic woods. Anything would look better than what's on it now. Chip

READ THE BIBLE-IT WILL SCARE THE HELL OUT OF YOU!
NO 99"s ARE JUNK, FDP
NRA Endowment Life Member
US Air Force Retired,Phantom Phixer
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd just find a slip-on pad and call it good until I was ready to replace the stock. With the inlay it's always going to look a bit off. Yup, just put on some decent scope bases/rings and a nice slip-on pad (I think there's a couple that are adjustable for length) and go hunting. Bet that rifle shoots like a dream..

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
when you get a new but stock griz (a member here) needs the swivel on yours sent him one i thank he is still looking for the second they look great if done right..

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Take out the diamond inlay and put in a compass. Bruce

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
Its a shame when people shorten those stocks! I prefer this method if you cant find a replacement. Add desired length, then hide it in one of these leather lace-up pads! Sorta a classic look?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You can buy a new pre inletted any length you want and finish it yourself and save the original

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I jus gotta add...somehow,someway,that sling stud/loop has got to go...and be replaced w/something more practical...and I'd have to get that varnish outta the x'ering...and yes,even a compass would be preferred over that unsightly yellowed diamond.Ugh!

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Kenster's on the right track. Get a 1 1/2" recoil pad and square up the butt enough to install it. Then go to Levergun and order a cover that will encase the end of the stock. I ordered one that was plain with a light border and it doesn't look bad at all. You send Lever a tracing of your stock and he makes the cover so it fits like a glove. http://www.levergunleather.com/

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
OK - I've come to the conclusion that I need to replace the stock with a new one. There are several reason for this. The major reason being the crappy job that was done to butcher the stock of this lovely rifle, and the stock is cracked (just a hairline crack) down the entire length. I did not even notice it until I removed the stock and taped on it and got a not so solid sound.

I would very much like to get a New Old Stock (NOS) factory stock but realize that this may be an impossible request. I will also consider a replacement stock that was removed from another Savage 300 (pistol grip) that a owner would be willing to part with.

Other than that, I guess that I am looking at an after market stock and I found these sources on the internet:

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web%20pages/Plate%20Pic's/Stevens%20stocks%20images%20&%20Descriptions/Savage%2099%20shotgun%20butt%20pistol-grip.htm (This one appears to be the most accurate representation of the stock that I need)

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/st...amp;pp=16643&p=24464&s=37514#sku

http://www.gun-parts.com/savagestocks/

Help me restore this beautiful rifle to what it should be.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Savage_The_Barbarian; 11/03/07.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 163bc, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,660
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.