Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sharpies do write quite nicely on the brass. Rubbing alcohol and a paper towel takes it off when you wish to change the case labels.

GB1

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I'd say the real challenge right now is finding large rifle primers, ANY large rifle primers. Doesn't matter if you have 15 new powders and a dozen new bullets to try without primers.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Fotis
powder valley and midsouth have h 4350

Yep. Been seeing more of it and it's staying in stock for more than 10 minutes too. That is a good thing.
Originally Posted by kenjs1
When this shortage situation began I more or less had to go from IMR to H4350. Turned out great but of course someone try to find me some Hodgdon 4350 this entire last year...

I have missed reloading as a hobby and wonder if any others are in same boat- to what extent you are going to in order to get back on the bench.

My range time has been rare to nonexistent over past 2 years due to coveting what little powder I have.

I always use Sierra's but with certain bullets still hard to find I bought some 90 grain Speer to try in my 6mm Rem.
I wanted to go back to140's in my slow twist 260 - yes I know they shouldn't shoot well but they do and those long Gamekings dropped deer quicker than any other caliber-bullet combo I have used.
Of course, I couldn't find .264 140gr GK's so I bought Speer hot core 140's ( they weren't overly long to inhibit magazine length any worse than GK's)
So to get back at it, I just ordered some Accurate 4350 ( seems like the red headed stepchild of the 4350 realm). It is easy to find so my plan is use it for Speer bullets and keep what little Hodgdon I have for my tried and true Sierra's loads.

That's the plan.... least I will be pulling the handle on the Classic Press again.
I never stopped "pulling the handle, but did change some things and tried new things to keep going. I tried some Ramshot powders, as it seemed like they were always around and may have saved me a few times. Prices of those powders were never really high, as compared to some of the others. Hovering around $28-$32.00/pound. Luckily last year I found 6 pounds of Hunter, 6 pounds of Big Game, 10 pounds of X-, 10 pounds of TAC at a local shop. An archery shop of all places!! It was $30/pound and I gladly paid the piper. Now I am hooked on some of that powder. It works great in my rifles, so there is a silver lining there. For my 6.5's, I did like you and gave up on Sierra. They were nonexistent, so f them.. Hornady was pretty available, but there was some stretch of time where you couldn't find the 140gr ELD match bullets. The 140gr BTHP match was available and at a good price:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
(this was 3 months ago at a store I found about 5 months ago^^^^)

.....but I went to Barnes and tried some of their match burners. I'm still on the fence with them, as they do not shoot as well in my rifles as the ELD match. But the prices were very good on them, so I bought quite a few of them. If nothing else I'll shoot them in my iron sight m96 6.5x55. I was getting to a point in my powder supply where I had to conserve what I had. H4350 and AR Comp were the 2 main powders that I had to watch my use on because those are my favorites and they were very hard to find for a while. Luckily I found 6 pounds of H4350 and bought it at $47/pound a few months ago. I lucked into 10 pounds of AR Comp at the beginning of the year. That was a god send and I have already used 5 pounds of it. That was $37/pound, but worth it. Yesterday I was at the very small LGS and this is what I saw:

So this thread reminds me, I need to run down there and buy a few pounds of RL23 to try out. Heard it was pretty good. I also saw RL15.5 for the first time. I shake my head with that one. Its good to be stocked up, but that is difficult if you keep shooting it up..

How do you like the Hunter and X-terminator? What do you load it in?

I have a few pounds of each. Was thinking of loading for .223, .243, and .308.

Man, I really like Hunter and X-terminator, as well as many of the other Ramshot powders. For Hunter, I have used it in my 6.5x55 with 140gr bullets. It is very consistent shooting. Here are a couple groups shot with irons at 100 yards:

The X-terminator works very well in 223's with heavier bullets. I have an AR that is kind of a problem child. It is one of my least accurate rifles, but it likes X-terminator with 77 smk bullets. That's about the only load I run in that rifle now. As for other Ramshot powders that work well for some cartridges I've tried:

TAC: 308, 204 Ruger, 223, & 6X45
Big Game: 7mm08, 30-06 and 300RSAUM

When I look in my load manuals and I see one of the Ramshot powders listed, I try it. I like how it meters through the uniflow. There are many plusses to using their powders. Those include price, availability, load consistency, accuracy and how it meters. The shortages may make you veer away from your tried and true, but sometimes that is not a bad thing..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Sharpies do write quite nicely on the brass. Rubbing alcohol and a paper towel takes it off when you wish to change the case labels.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
While I have around 10,000 LR primers and can keep going for quite a while, what I have an obscene amount of are LP primers. For the little .45 shooting I do, I thought I was waaaaay overstocked. And then I figured they work just fine in medium capacity rifle cartridges also- with reduced cast bullet loads which is the bulk of what I shoot anymore anyway. I can now truly tell the components makers to take a hike. I have way plenty jacketed stuff on the shelf for my .22, 6.5, and .30 shooting/hunting that I do. What has me getting a little edgy are SP and SR primers, and lead. The half ton of lead that I gloated over a couple years ago isn't so much now. But lead can still be found dirt cheap with a little ingenuity.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
While I do enjoy hand loading though never really thought of it as a hobby…..more of a necessity! When growing up, it was a necessity as to provide ammunition to shoot! As I grew older, I saw it as a necessity to provide ammunition when things go absolutely to hell……a point that we are rapidly approaching! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
While I have around 10,000 LR primers and can keep going for quite a while, what I have an obscene amount of are LP primers. For the little .45 shooting I do, I thought I was waaaaay overstocked. And then I figured they work just fine in medium capacity rifle cartridges also- with reduced cast bullet loads which is the bulk of what I shoot anymore anyway. I can now truly tell the components makers to take a hike. I have way plenty jacketed stuff on the shelf for my .22, 6.5, and .30 shooting/hunting that I do. What has me getting a little edgy are SP and SR primers, and lead. The half ton of lead that I gloated over a couple years ago isn't so much now. But lead can still be found dirt cheap with a little ingenuity.

Natchez and Powder Valley have been getting some SR and SP in from time to time this year. Ends up being over a bill (well over if they're magnum or match) per 1000 after hazmat and shipping, but they do have them sometimes.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
While I do enjoy hand loading though never really thought of it as a hobby…..more of a necessity! When growing up, it was a necessity as to provide ammunition to shoot! As I grew older, I saw it as a necessity to provide ammunition when things go absolutely to hell……a point that we are rapidly approaching! memtb

I agree. The main reason I got started in handloading was because I bought a 300wby rifle and didn't know what factory ammo sold for. Damn, no wonder I got a stellar deal on that rifle!!! Never once regretted the decision to start handloading, but it sent me down a path of shooting, loading and buying a [bleep] load of rifles and pistols. Still don't regret it though. Still have 2 300wby rifles and the original die set that started the whole process... Just used it last week in fact..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by zcm82
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Natchez and Powder Valley have been getting some SR and SP in from time to time this year. Ends up being over a bill (well over if they're magnum or match) per 1000 after hazmat and shipping, but they do have them sometimes.

BSA MAGA
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've had to buy my primers exclusively online for over a year. Hasn't been anything at all on shelves locally.

Last thing I actually got in a real store was a brick of CCI500 and that's been probably 18 months ago. Haven't seen diddly since, aside from a few percussion caps and ML primers.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I feel your pain. I went from using WLR primers in 270 and CCI250 for 300 WM to using CCI34 across the board as my primer supply is getting low and they have been the only LR primers I’ve been able to find. The Tikka 270 does ok but not as good as WLR. The Ruger M77 300 WM hates the CCI34 primers.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Production is catching up and inflation is slowing down buying, so except for Retumbo, seems like a lot of options coming back. I picked up some MP540 the other day and have a handful of testers to try out for the next range trip. That worked out to $28/lb for me shipped, which is better than the $68/lb that RL17 cost.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by zcm82
I'd say the real challenge right now is finding large rifle primers, ANY large rifle primers. Doesn't matter if you have 15 new powders and a dozen new bullets to try without primers.

This has been my problem as well. I’ve been able to keep stocked with powder and bullets, but primers have been extremely hard to come by locally.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What lessons I hadn’t learned, I learned during the Obama hoarding era.

I have enough components to keep me in elk meat for the rest of my life…….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
What lessons I hadn’t learned, I learned during the Obama hoarding era.

I have enough components to keep me in elk meat for the rest of my life…….

Clinton educated me and I started hoarding before Obama graduated from Muslim High. I’m glad I did, but the primer shortage is starting to worry me some, I am down to 20,000 small rifle primers and I can’t make myself pay for 1000 primers what I used to pay for 5000…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Clinton educated me and I started hoarding before Obama graduated from Muslim High. I’m glad I did, but the primer shortage is starting to worry me some, I am down to 20,000 small rifle primers and I can’t make myself pay for 1000 primers what I used to pay for 5000…

The lesson I hadn’t learned during the Ibama reign was components for my 357’s and I had to scramble some.

I’m good for my hunting rifles, but I am being a bit more careful about burning through components for my play rifles.

I too am struggling with the idea of paying 3x-4x more for primers……

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bumping this thread back. So I have not been able to shoot much these last two years but using Accurate 4350 and Speer - has been nowhere near as fun as other 4350 with Sierra's.

Getting the 6mm close with those 90 grain hot cores- which sound like a perfect 6mm thing.

My 260 is slow - 1-10 twist I am trying to get 140's to shoot again. I know.....not optimum but MD showed me years ago they should be okay and my groups were good. Performance - outstanding.

I shot modest loads with H4831sc but am STILL not seeing things on the shelves or online that I hoped- and seems most thought- would be more readily available now. Was willing to find and retry some Nosler ballistics (shot well) but even those have been scarce. The Speer and Accurate loads are .....pffft so far.... Trying a few grains more of powder per Muledeers advice. Seemed to work on the 6mm but not the 260...yet.

Wish I could shoot more.

Lucky I still have a a little H4350 and a few Sierra's for the 260 and 270.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
LR primers seem to be coming back a bit better now, but prices remain (and imo will continue remaining) salty. I've picked up some CCI200 online from PV and Natchez in the past month, and I finally saw some WLR at a LGS, so I snagged a few.

LGS had about 3/4 of brick, so I bought 400 @ $10/100 and left a few for someone else. First primers I'd seen in that shop in 2+ years... since I bought my last brick of WLR in there, and the price on those is $33.95

Last edited by zcm82; 01/09/23. Reason: clarification
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Bumping this thread back. So I have not been able to shoot much these last two years but using Accurate 4350 and Speer - has been nowhere near as fun as other 4350 with Sierra's.

Getting the 6mm close with those 90 grain hot cores- which sound like a perfect 6mm thing.

My 260 is slow - 1-10 twist I am trying to get 140's to shoot again. I know.....not optimum but MD showed me years ago they should be okay and my groups were good. Performance - outstanding.

I shot modest loads with H4831sc but am STILL not seeing things on the shelves or online that I hoped- and seems most thought- would be more readily available now. Was willing to find and retry some Nosler ballistics (shot well) but even those have been scarce. The Speer and Accurate loads are .....pffft so far.... Trying a few grains more of powder per Muledeers advice. Seemed to work on the 6mm but not the 260...yet.

Wish I could shoot more.

Lucky I still have a a little H4350 and a few Sierra's for the 260 and 270.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/imr-4350/

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/pro...hanger-polymer-tipped-spitzer-boat-tail/

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,846 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,967
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.